1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cyclists...I need help

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Medic343, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Feb 21, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 [OP] 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    So I just left the doctor's office from my annual physical and got the much anticipated yet still dreaded, I'm "overweight and need to exercise" talk. I really do not see myself running, walking, or going to the gym but I do feel like I'd enjoy a good bike ride.

So my questions are that you would expect from a newbie. What size frame do I need, do I need front and rear suspension, disc brakes, how many speeds, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you all and the help is much appreciated. I guess I should mention I feel that I would be more comfortable and interested in mountain bikes rather than road bikes

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    escuzi_me, ColoradoTJ and OR18TRD like this.
  2. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Well. First things first. Figure out if you want a road bike for the roads, or a mountain bike for off-road, or a sort of hybrid for in between. Road bikes typically have a more hunched over position so they aren’t as upright and comfy as a mountain bike, but they can haul butt for a much longer time.

Personally, because you can spend a fortune on a bike, here is my advice Go to a bike store and find out what size you are. Sit on a few and see what you like. Road, off-road, whatever. Then Buy a cheap used version of that off Craigslist. See what you like and don’t like about the bike, and see if your going to stick with it. Then sell it for what you have in it, and take your self learned insights, and go buy the bike you really want and now know will meet your needs.

Everyone has an opinion on things. Everyone’s opinion is right. Just ask them. My opinion for you right now is go buy a mountain bike with front suspension, a rigid rear, disk brakes, decent shifters and brakes, and ride it. Something like a specialized hard rock if they still make those.

3. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I was in pretty much the same boat and ended up with this Specialized Crossroads Sport. It’s more of a hybrid but the tires are still road tires. After researching a lot it seemed to be one of the better options under $600 as far as what components they use.

91C22F4A-AF28-40C6-8B0E-064401EE8D65.jpg

4. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 [OP] 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    More than likely I'd be riding paved paths and some dirt roads. I can't afford to crash and get hurt doing serious mountain biking. I'm a fairly big guy...6'1" at 265lbs .

OR18TRD likes this.
  5. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    SpacecoastHusker

SpacecoastHusker New Member

Member:
    Brevard County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Limited CM
    I would suggest staying away from any big box store (I.e. Walmart, Dick’s, etc). You can find name brands with quality gear sets from a local bike shop. Regardless if you go with a store or get a used bike, I’d highly recommend a professional fit.

6. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    SpacecoastHusker

Member:
    Brevard County, FL
    Vehicle:
    If you are wanting to go off and on-road you could also check out a gravel bike.

tbrown likes this.
  7. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Yeah, professional fit. It doesn't just matter how tall you are, but leg and arm length.

smslavin and sdde4n like this.
  8. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    how about swimming ? get a good workout and also check out the babes in swimsuits...win win :)

9. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 [OP] 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    It's funny that you say that because Dicks is the first place I went. Bikes are not cheap, they had some options well over $500 bucks. I live in a fairly small City so there is only 1 local bike shop I can check out so maybe I'll go there.

10. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 [OP] 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    Even though I live in the desert with summer temps well over 100 I have never been a fan of the water. The eye candy maybe a good initiative to start though :)

Thanks I'll check it out .

11. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    I'm an avid, maybe even obsessive mountain biker, but....

If you want to lose weight, watch what you eat, diet is WAY more important than exercise.

Cut carbs. Stop eating pasta, bread, and sugar. Focus on lean protein, fruits, and vegetables. Stay away from beer. You will absolutely lose weight and feel better. Then go ride your bike for fun.

Piki, Tundra_361, myt1 and 7 others like this.
  12. Feb 21, 2019 at 7:43 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would go 3 times a week trekking through the mountains when training for motocross.

Back in the day, you could spend a grip of money on a bike. Now you can spend an arm and left nut. I would scour the Craigslist adds for good, numbers checked, mountain bikes.

If you are just looking to train, and in the heat maybe get a trainer and cycle inside, hardtail. Now if you want to do some legit cross country, dual suspension makes sense. You will most likely need a large framed bike.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/d/albuquerque-2012-jamis-dakota-d29-pro/6810784961.html

15whtrd likes this.
  13. Feb 21, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Wdominguez90

Wdominguez90 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barcelona red Tundra SR
    I’m fairly new to biking as well. Got myself a Trek bike FX1. Not too expensive great for beginners and I love it. You can get them online if you can’t find them at your local bike shop

14. Feb 21, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    sbxx312

sbxx312 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport
    Don't buy from Dicks. Go to the local bike shop. Test ride a couple bikes, get a decent fit, and enjoy.

I bet you buy a gravel bike.

Medic343[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 21, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    OHP

OHP New Member

Member:
    Gallatin, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport
    Current Mods: JL Audio Stereo System, Truxedo Bed Cover, Console Organizer, Tint, Matt Gekko bed lights, tailgate auto lock, black badges Upcoming Mods: Level, Leather, Remote Start
    This guy is right on. It's as simple as burning more calories than you consume and eating right makes that easy. 9 years ago when my first boy was born I was overweight by about 25lbs. At 5'9", that's a lot. I changed my diet and started biking and the weight fell off. I lost about 20lbs easily. I can't ride near as much as I'd like to now, but I still try to eat well. That has kept most of the weight off.

When I bought my first bike I went to the local bike shop and told them my goals. The owner set me up with an inexpensive entry level mountain bike and I started riding around my neighborhood. Once I felt good on the bike and built up some stamina, I hit the local trail. It didn't take long before I traded in the entry level bike for a high end full suspension mountain bike. 9 years later I still ride as much as possible. In my opinion, a mountain bike is about the most fun you can have while getting exercising. (on or off the road) Stop by your local bike shop and talk to them. I bet they'll be glad to help.

16. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Lots of great advice. Get an idea what size you need, shop around, check out craigslist or FB for sure.

Get some padded biking shorts! You may not like the idea but your toushy will thank you. :)

Medic343[OP] and KB Voodoo like this.
  17. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Exercise AND diet change, as mentioned above, will help you hit your target weight. I’ve been a cyclist for a very long time, and whether you go road, mountain or hybrid, proper fit is essential. If you’ve not comfortable as you ride, and you don’t find cycling fun, you may park the bike for good. Stop by a local reputable bike shop, or a Trek superstore, get fitted and test ride a a few bikes. A mountain bike, with smoother street tires, may work well, but that’s only my opinion. Regardless of what you ride, one hour of moderate riding will burn about 600 calories. Good luck.

15whtrd and Medic343[OP] like this.
  18. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    As mentioned Exercise & Diet.

FYI, recently got back into the gym, took up spinning for about 6 weeks - fairly intense cycling for 45-50 minutes three times a week. I saw zero change in my weight during that time, no weight loss. Weight loss did not start to happen without eating better, basically cutting out the carbs and sugars........

19. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    SpacecoastHusker

Member:
    Brevard County, FL
    Vehicle:
    I agree with you on that. Late last year I trained for my first triathlon. I was exercising close to daily and burned a bunch of calories. However, I let myself eat whatever I wanted including indulging in ice cream every day or two. Between when I started training and the day of the race I was the exact same weight. I'm now considering the cycling, running, and swimming health and what I eat for weight maintenance.

Sunnier and Trooper2[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:34 PM
    TTLS

TTLS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 CM
  21. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:43 PM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I suggest doing ketogenic diet as well as biking. No/low carb, high fat. Check out keto on reddit. The before and after pics are inspirational. Great support group, and good source for recipes too. Good luck, you can do it!!!

22. Feb 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    as an ex cat 2 racer... this. so much this.

don't let the pimply nincompoop at our local shop talk into something that they are obviously trying to move because the big S rep told them to. for example, aero bars. many local smaller shops will offer fit service. sometimes there's a local human performance lab that can do it as well. not only will they find the right size frame but you will get setup in saddle, stem and bar position. protect those knees.

swimming is great for a complete body workout. good for endurance. i could never just turn laps though so i open ocean swam. la jolla cove to the shores and back. solana beach up to las olas. along the coves in laguna beach. loved it. bec asked me to limit it once the guy in solana beach got his legs chomped off awhile back. i was out surfing that morning which was all kinds of fun when the CG chopper flew in...

23. Feb 22, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    haha..I was gonna say..chomp chomp.. :)

24. Feb 22, 2019 at 2:06 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i never got weirded out by it. you get the vibe in certain places for sure but i always saw it differently. i'm an alien in their world. there's a guy in south africa, andre hartman, who free dives with great whites. i'm more leery of bulls than GWs.

scripps canyon is known breeding ground for great whites. people surf black's all the time without an issue. the number of fatalities in SD is pretty small but when it happens, it happens in a rather violent way. the guy in solana beach was gone before they got him out of the water.

always wanted to make the trip to guadalupe island for some cage dives.

TheBeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Feb 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    myt1

myt1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC TRD SR5 Desert Sand Mica
    OME Lift, 275/70R 18
    The above is pretty much the holy grail.

I lost ten pounds when I eliminated simple carbs, primarily refined sugar, from my diet. Get your carbs and sugars from fresh fruits and vegetables.

About bikes, hybrid bikes might sound like they make sense, but they really aren't good at anything and they are very mediocre on the road and trials. I would have a fit trying to get a serious workout on one.

Definitely get a used bike. I would recommend a mountain bike and make sure it has 29 inch wheels.

Take up mountain biking as a serious hobby. It is really a lot of fun. Not only is it great exercise but it will take you to some really beautiful areas...in your Tundra.

You will eventually make friends with other people that mountain bike and it won't even seem like work to you.

Have fun with it.

Blueline and Medic343[OP] like this.
  26. Feb 22, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    BKVR6

BKVR6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BK
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra unLTD
    As an avid cyclist, racer(I am not fast, but I do pay to go get beat by people that are fast), and bike shop owner I would say go to a local shop and test ride some bikes. In fact go to multiple shops and ride some bikes. Find a shop and bike style that you are comfortable with.

You are in a tricky spot since you don't know if you are going to like this cycling thing. After riding some bikes pick something that is comfortable and that you want to ride. If it isn't comfortable you will not ride it.

Road, Mountain, Hybrid, gravel, fat, there are so many choices. How are the roads in your area? Wide shoulders with bike lanes? Crappy? If you have crappy roads and no bike lanes then road bikes for the beginners are not fun. It is scarry out there with all those Tundra's on the road. Wide shoulders and bike lanes will make you feel safer and feeling safer will allow you to get out more.

Don't want to fight cars then maybe a mountain bike will be a good option. Especially if you like getting out in the woods on the trails. See what local trails you have, if there are a bunch close then you stand a better chance of using them. Too far and you might just sit on the couch. Keep in mind that you potentially have more climbing on a MTB than road bike, and MTB group rides sometimes end with beer and that doesn't help the weight, but is great for friends and more riding. Roadies more often than not stop for coffee, but sometimes beer.

Hybrids are basically flat bar road bikes that put you in a more MTB position for comfort. If this is comfortable for you and you have some paved bike/walking trails around then this is a great place to start. They usually have a lower price point also.

Gravel/adventure bikes are drop bar road bikes with room for wider tires. This allows you to explore some places a true road bike won't allow you to go.

So many choices and your price range is from $400-$12,000. Starting used is good since you don't want to jump into something just to have it sit in the garage. Look at some bike websites to get an idea of your sizing. All brands will have sizing charts based on basic height. This is not always accurate if you are not the norm. A local shop will be there to do the work on the bike and probably has some free service items that go with buying a new bike. If you buy used see if you can take the bike to a shop before you buy it, and have it checked out. This might keep you from getting a real crappy bike. They might not be able to tell you what it is worth, but they can tell you if anything is wrong with it.

Your butt is going to hurt. It takes a couple weeks for your soft tissue in the seat area to get used to riding a bike. Start with short rides to build them up and if you still have seat pain after 3-4 weeks of riding then look for a different saddle. More cushion isn't always better.

Others have already made some good points also.

Kn4x2 likes this.
  27. Feb 22, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I'm 6'2" and started riding at 267lbs. I stay under 200 now, been down as far as 182. I ride for fun.
    Get fitted for a bike. Don't listen to the idiots trying to tell you to ride the smallest bike you can. I ride XL, 21.5, 60cm+.
    I would like to tell you what bike to buy but I have accumulated 10 in 4 years and just ordered another.
    This is 8 from last year.....still cheaper than bass fishing......
    Bike%20cleaning%20day_zpsduz34equ_3b20d54ee636351b67ba2e60516a583092037a72.jpg

Have fun and enjoy some epic journeys while staying fit too.
    IMG_4255_zpsbbk5j1a0_fe53456dbe1951064e3cacf767d8a5aef0e9f729.jpg

Trooper2 and porkitt like this.
  28. Feb 22, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    Oh yeah....Zwift! Go climb the Alps right in your living room.
    56357878849__5BA63624-581C-42EA-B277-26E_6d008696e218e4cad91ea73889d2f28b26128a19.jpg

smslavin likes this.
  29. Feb 22, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Join your community riding club, great way to keep at it with peers and they’ll point you in the right direction in terms of gear. It’s more difficult to maintain on your own without encouragement and socializing makes it more fun, organized and taking you through great trails. I’m actually surprised how popular it is at my rec center, the number and wide age range of members.

30. Feb 22, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    just started riding zwift this winter. had been using sufferfest for the past few winters. zwift is nowhere near as mind numbing and the workouts are just as good. plus, i can build my own custom workouts. added bonus, no jack asses trying to run you over. highly recommend.

also, surprised no one else has mentioned this. general meal rule i follow is: breakfast like a king, lunch like a princess, dinner like a pauper. small healthy snacks (fruits, veggies, nuts) in between. also, dinner is early. 5:30 at the latest. go to bed slightly hungry. it’s called breakfast for a reason. :cool:

porkitt and Trooper2 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top