1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV axle replacement suggestions

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Surf_spear_Mex, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Nov 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Surf_spear_Mex

Surf_spear_Mex [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    05 tundra ac
    Hey guys and gals, so i made my drive from Manitoba canada to my little place in punta de mita mexico with no problems. Truck ran excellent! When I re built the whole front end I opted to not replace cv axles because I had spent way over the budget. Now that I'm down here I'm getting a little clank on mexican roads and when I turn left full lock there is a slight grind low key clicking. My driver axle has about a 1/4" play laterally and on the diff side maybe an 1/8" up and down. I suspect it's time to replace. I can't afford oem at the moment so I want to go aftermarket. I know it's not the best option but it will be better than losing a cv axle wheeling down here.

What do you guys recommend for a solid replacement option that does not require a core. I'm looking at the napa line as I've heard they are the best option. I will probably replace with oem once I get back to work next year and keep these as backups.

Also what else should I do while in there. Wheel bearing was already replaced along with all suspension components. I've heard of replacing the inner seal?

All parts will have to be ordered and muled from the states by a friend or family when they come down to visit so I want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 25, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I didn't know the CVs could make noise unless the boots were torn for a while and allowed junk in. I wonder of that's actually your problem. Do you know of they are OEM axles? I would see if you can repair vs replace.

If you have to replace with aftermarket I think someone recommended Napa. I want to say they have a lifetime warranty.

3. Nov 25, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    Surf_spear_Mex

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    05 tundra ac
    Hey bud, yeah they are oem. Boots have a little cracking but no real rips or tears etc. After my lift I did replace the band on the driver's side as the boot was slipping a little but very little grease came out. The driver side just feels like more play than the pass side so I'm assuming that's where noise is coming from. Everything else is new including all oem ball joints etc.

4. Nov 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    brobert225

brobert225 Firm grasp of the obvious

Member:
    Houston, TX
    I used the HD Cardone ones from Rock Auto. Seemed very nice and heavier boots as well. I have had them 2 yrs and no issues so very happy.

Surf_spear_Mex[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM
    Surf_spear_Mex

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    05 tundra ac
    Thanks man I'll research them. Were they new or reman?

Products Discussed in

To Top