1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom Rear Bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by RepeatPete, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Nov 6, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    RepeatPete

RepeatPete [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Hey everyone,
    I'm working on a custom rear bumper. The main reason is I love designing/building things and can't leave anything well enough alone, but also I would like to lessen the chrome on my truck and clean up the overall lines, and a new rear bumper accomplishes both of those.

I love the body line on the Ford Raptor (and many prerunner style builds) where the bedsides angle up toward the rear - I think it is one of the coolest angles on the whole truck. I want higher clearance in general, but would love to be able to cut my bedsides up like that too. Also, I'm currently in the design stage. I have looked at mounting quite a bit, but it is far from finalized. More of what I'm doing is getting rough design and overall shape down. It will be a while before I have the finances to actually build this as well.

Wants:
    - Higher clearance - be able to angle bedsides up
    - No hitch plug connectors hanging down
    - Hitch that allows for spare tire in factory location
    - Deep enough to have a place to step or shallow seat
    - (Somewhat) Integrated license plate mount
    - Place for backup lights if wanted

I really like SS Built's bumpers, but want some more corner protection. I have access to a tube bender, but was pretty shocked how expensive DOM is. A plate bumper it is!

I looked around on the internet a lot, and my favorite one was Dirt King's Silverado bumper. I drew up a similar one, but realized that the hitch would have to be below the license plate. To keep the spare tire in the stock location, the hitch would have to be pushed rearward, way out from the body of the bumper. This would hurt the departure angle, and kill the looks.
    RB 1 Screenshot.jpg
    So, I wanted to push the hitch up into the body of the bumper, and increase the depth of the bumper shell so that the hitch didn't stick so far out.
    RB2 Screenshot.jpg
    And behind the license plate is a hidden hitch. To insert the hitch pin you would have to reach up under the bumper.
    RB2 Screenshot 2.jpg
    This would definitely work, but the center section protrudes pretty far, and I wanted a better solution for the hitch pin.
    So here's where I'm at now:
    RB3 Screenshot.jpg
    I could position the license plate where it is above, or on the vertical face in the center, once again hiding the hitch. If I wanted backup lights they would fit snugly flush-mounted on the flat face of the "wings" of the bumper.

What do you guys think - any input on overall design or function?

2. Nov 7, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    sharkmango

sharkmango New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD 4x4 White
    I love it. I'm working on some custom bumper designs, myself. Just starting to draw it all out, although I don't have a CAD program that would do quite as nice a job as you have.

Keep us posted on progress!

RepeatPete[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 7, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I love that look. I've really liked the dirt king rear bumper for the silverado. Take a look at Mazzulla offroad, they make a high clearance prerunner rear bumper that looks the same but has no side protection and not able to use a hitch with it. Id be really interested in purchasing one that your making. I just need to retain a hitch and thats what makes me hold back on buying the one Mazzulla offers for the Tundra.
    Keep up the good work and I will be following this!

4. Nov 7, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Thanks! Post them up if you want, although yours will be different as it’s a third gen. I’m always interested in how people personalize something so simple like a bumper. Are you working on front or rear?

Thank you! I had the Mazzulla saved in the designs I liked as well, I just didn’t realize it was made by them. I really like it’s simplicity, but wanted a little more function with a hitch just like you. I think the lack of sides look fits a true prerunner, but my truck will be more of a mix with an overland / daily driver, so I want the corner protection.

nb_nielsen[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2020 at 2:35 AM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    Thats exactly how I see it as well. I still need to use my truck as a truck and need to be able to hook up a trailer to it. The corner protection makes sense for a daily driver as well. Im very interested to see what you come up with!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  6. Nov 9, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Any input on rear recovery points? I understand them in the front, but are they worth it in the rear when there's a hitch receiver a few inches over? Every time I've pulled someone out I have used the recovery points that were on my old Jeep, but if they weren't there I would have bought a hitch insert clevis and used that.
    From Factor 55:
    [​IMG]

I could easily put recovery points on this bumper, just not sure if they're needed.
    RB Clevis.jpg

7. Nov 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
  8. Nov 9, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 9, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I always put my strap through the hitch itself and put my pin though it and have pulled out alot of vehicles that way. I think thats stronger than a mount on it since the hitch is well connected to the frame itself

SC_TRD likes this.
  10. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I decided to nix the recovery points and keep it clean. Here's where I'm at:
    RB Iso.jpg
    RB Front View.jpg
    A detail view of the safety chain loops and license plate light (not factory, I needed one with a smaller footprint):
    Hitch Detail View.jpg
    As for mounting, there is an 1.75" hole in the hitch side plates that I will weld a 1.75 x .250 wall DOM tube into.
    Side Plates.jpg
    The tube is in blue below. The hole is somewhat close to the edge of the side plates so I added some reinforcement plates to give some more support. The hitch receiver will weld right to this tube, along with a few gussets.
    RB Cross Tube.jpg
    This DOM tube will replace the large 3" OD tube that held the hitch before, and allow for better clearance. I'll cut the side plates to finish this clearance, somewhere around the red dashed line below, and maybe plate the side plates to fill the hole left by the 3" tube.
    RB Cut Line.jpg
    The design isn't perfect. I still have to reach around to put the hitch pin in from the backside, and I don't love the license plate hanging off the bottom of the bumper. But I think this is the best compromise of all my needs + wants.
    And there is still room for reverse or scene lighting. Here are cutouts for 2 Diode Dynamics SSC2 lights (not flush mount).
    RB Light Cutouts.jpg

The input is helpful, so keep it coming if you have any!

11. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Just a thought, I know people have done fold down plates for hitches, so is that something you could do for your trailer plug?

12. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I definitely could, although I'm not sure how legal they are. Right now I put our mountain bikes in the bed, but on a trip I would use a hitch mounted bike rack to keep the bed open. With the flip up (or down) license plate bracket the plate wouldn't be visible while the rack is in, which would be the whole trip. I really doubt that's legal.

13. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Does the rack use the trailer plug? I was just thinking that when towing a trailer or some such, you can't see the plate anyway.

14. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    These thoughts about the flip plate might have stemmed from me misreading the drawing. Is the trailer plug just to the right of the plate? I was thinking that was a light for the plate, but on closer inspection I am not sure. lol

15. Nov 10, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Ah, that makes more sense! To the right of the plate is a light, linked below. I don't have the plug in those views above. They are relatively bulky in relation to the faces around the hitch, and I'm not sure where to put it yet. I might tuck it up underneath, facing down so that you plug the trailer harness connector straight up into the back area of the bumper.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2217.html

nb_nielsen and GODZILLA[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Nov 13, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Well, here goes nothing!
    147DC5EB-AFD6-4849-B1C8-0FDCB4F6774B.jpg
    The main reason why I didn’t do a tube bumper: I got 20 feet of 3/16” x 4” wide flat bar, with taxes, and cut in half to fit in my truck for $38! Pretty shocked it was that cheap. By comparison, Lowe’s wants $28 for 3 feet of the same stuff. Support your local steel distributor!

17. Nov 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    Any progress?!?!

18. Nov 16, 2020 at 11:10 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I didn't get as much time this weekend as I was hoping, but I managed to get a few pieces cut out. I also figured out how I want to wrap around the corner thanks to some cardboard aided design. The top now looks like this; made up of 4 pieces:
    I welded them together over my lunch break, and I'll try to get some pictures tonight.
    Composite Top Plate.jpg

19. Nov 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I really like the look of that! And it actually has some side protection that looks nice and sleek

20. Nov 16, 2020 at 9:37 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Here’s a picture of the top plate all welded up and ground down, sitting on the hitch vise (handiest thing ever!):
    82C1A59D-F42E-425C-B865-BB84887A5F1F.jpg
    I’m hoping that tomorrow I can get some of the vertical pieces welded on.

equin, worktruckwhite, chugs and 3 others like this.
  21. Nov 16, 2020 at 10:03 PM
    SC_TRD

SC_TRD Big BASTRD 4x4 Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Round Rock, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax & 2008 Sequoia
    Seems like an awesome project! Definitely keep us posted here! I am dying for a high clearance bumper for my truck, so I totally get the desire and love where you are taking this.

Cheers!

joonbug likes this.
  22. Nov 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Well, more bad pictures but I got a few more pieces welded on today. The welds are really quickly ground down, that's not a bunch of porosity.
    Rear Bumper 2.jpg
    Rear Bumper 3.jpg

equin, Osmith, porkitt and 3 others like this.
  23. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Thank you!
    I realize the 2nd gen Tundra is big and bulky, but I don't like how almost (except SS Built) all the aftermarket bumpers are big and bulky as well.

I'll be going to get a 4' piece of DOM tubing from a local fab shop on Friday and they quoted me $60 which is very reasonable. However, it's almost double the price of all my steel so far!

nb_nielsen and SC_TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:34 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I got a few more sections welded in and then I did a quick mock-up on the truck. One of the hardest parts for me on this project is making the bumper smaller to get better clearance without making it seem disproportionately small against a very large truck. Thankfully there will be another piece at a 45 degree angle under the vertical pieces.
    AF7C1F7F-7D7E-49D0-AE7A-B38B36EAE39E.jpg
    8B5CB8E4-26A0-487F-9398-E57051597C93.jpg
    I haven’t welded in a few years, but had decent beads. Not stack-of-dimes pretty, but they will definitely hold.
    E02A0BA6-AA09-4720-9B69-8E5934DDC48A.jpg
    62DED045-140F-4B27-854A-6B9132999072.jpg

NueveTundra, equin, chugs and 5 others like this.
  25. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I really like where this is going!!! Looking great so far!

26. Nov 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    Currently debating on how to finish the bumper. The original plan was Steel-It, but it's pretty expensive and looks to be very flat, but I've never used it before. I'm worried the flat would stick out in a bad way against the gloss paint.
    I did Rustoleum Bedliner on my Jeep bumpers and it was cheap, easy, and somewhat tough, but got chalky and faded in the sun. I don't really want to do this again.
    And yesterday I saw a Ram with a high-clearance bumper similar to the link below and it was colormatched silver and looked really good.
    https://mercenaryoffroad.com/collec...a-bomb-rear-high-clearance-wrap-around-bumper
    Colormatched would be a little cheaper than steel-it ($23/can vs. $30/can), but still double the price of good-old Rustoleum enamel spray paint.
    What do you guys think?

27. Nov 19, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I've used the cheap rustoleum on my old tacoma and I had the same problem of fading very quickly. I wonder how it would be to power coat it. My guess is in Michigan, where I live, powdercoating seems to last awhile unless you rolled it with a line-x, then it seems to last longer than the test but is usually pricey.

28. Nov 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    RepeatPete

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    I forgot to mention powder coating - I'm not a huge fan because you can't touch it up, and as you mentioned its usually pretty expensive for something large like a bumper.
    You bring up a good point of rolling on a bedliner coating though. Maybe a smaller (i.e. cheaper) can of Monstaliner or Raptor would be not too expensive but still durable? I know you can tint one of them, and then it could be both colormatched and durable. Hmmm...

nb_nielsen likes this.
  29. Nov 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Steel it isn’t very durable. I have it on my rear bumper and bed rack and it’s got a bunch of wear spots. I’d personally bite the bullet and Powdercoat it. There are local shops here that would do it for like $100. You really shouldn’t scrape up a high clearance bumper.

30. Nov 19, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    nb_nielsen

nb_nielsen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra double cab
    I think Joonbug is right, powdercoating is probably the way to go. My ARB i had on my Tacoma was powdercoated and held up in Northern Michigan winters great. They did send along a touch up pen as well but I never had a problem with rock chips because the Tacoma had the 3.4 liter and 33's and it would crawl up to speed so there was no tailgating with it haha!

Products Discussed in

To Top