1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Craigslist vs FB Marketplace vs OfferUp vs ...???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Terndrerrr, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Mar 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr [OP] guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    What are your experiences with these? It really seems that Craigslist has gone way downhill. All I get are broken English "I am much interest in these item" scam responses. I used to reply, giving the benefit of the doubt, but the return email was always with a different signature, saying something about them sending a courier to pick up the item with a check for more than I'm asking and me paying their courier in cash for the difference. :rolleyes:

I can't think of the last time something I listed on Craigslist actually sold. Probably 6 months ago. I'm a musician, and I'm constantly buying/selling gear. I always have a few listings active, and I'd like to think my prices are fair. Where do you have the best luck?

2. Mar 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    fb marketplace at least allows you to vet your responders via snooping. I've used it to rent out my revenue property a few times and have had great tenants.

jtwags and Terndrerrr[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 25, 2021 at 2:40 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    FB Marketplace is my wife's go-to to buy used stuff. Seems to be pretty decent for the most part.

Terndrerrr[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 25, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    With CL, have a junk email account or one that you are about to close. If someone reply’s to an ad, you can ask security questions. That weeds out plenty. The reason for the junk email is you will get spammed. CL has been really good for me, but you need to filter.

FB marketplace...I didn’t have good luck and I’m not sure why. Seems like a good platform to sell and rate sellers. Several months ago I deleted FB (all social media besides TW/Tundras) so I can’t really say how it is today. When shopping for bikes I found a lot of stolen items (assumed) since the sellers didn’t want to give me the serial number. That was rather troubling to me.

Offer up is pretty interesting. I have attempted to sell on there, but you will find less fake for sale ads and bots since you can rate the seller/buyer and purchase items with CC without even talking to the seller.

5. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN IG: @rocketmanmtb

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    '17 TUNDRA TRD PRO CEMENT ‘15 TUNDRA SR-5 WHITE
    I just got scammed here by a member.

mods were no help.

Stay frosty

bdpeelgren likes this.
  6. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    jtwags

jtwags Concrete jungle

Member:
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM
    Undercover Elite LX, Xact Contour
    I used to have good luck on CL but since moving to Texas had better luck with FB and OU to buy and sell stuff. I tend to see the same listings on CL and OU. OU can be annoying because they dont set time limits on listings. Purchased a few things on here from members and it has been fine, just make sure to use paypal and have them send invoice not family/friends.

7. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    Barrett50

Barrett50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Wisco
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC silver
    FB market place is the best of the 3 here in Wisconsin, and it’s pretty awful in my experience. I have quite a few things I’d like to unload but dread posting. Tried to sell my dads old truck on marketplace and it was a nightmare. Definitely didn’t want the people looking coming to my house.

8. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    I wish I could comprehend FB Marketplace but for the life of me I can not?
    Facebook themselves seem to respond and reply to your listings for you at times and I can never tell WTF is really going on?
    Add to that the 95% of fucking morons who ask if the item is available but then never reply after that and then the expected lowball about everything and unreliable meetings and it is just a lot of work for a little satisfaction overall though if I stick with it I have been able to sell a few things somehow in the end.

CL is just over it seems?

Offerup,not a chance.

Ebay I do not even remember almost and I used to do OK there.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Barrett50 likes this.
  9. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Paypal will back you. It's why I only accept and send as "Goods & Services".

I use Kijiji, but under an alias email. :canada:

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  10. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Don’t be a total dumbass and pay with PayPal friends and family then. Sorry you got screwed, but you dildo’d yourself, not us.

It’s his word against yours. Behind a keyboard it’s a tit bit difficult to tell what happened.

Black Wolf, ezdog, saybng and 5 others like this.
  11. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:37 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    What are we to do here? We try to mitigate things between parties ..only so much we can help with. We don’t work for PayPal.

947551CD-95B4-4D4B-AC08-3EEF0E1E7921.jpg

12. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    PayPal F&F is just that....ONLY for for Friends & Family that you are gifting money.

I believe it is against PayPal TOU to send money for actual goods. Anyone who sends it for goods, throws all recourse out the window.

If a buyer will only accept it, I won't deal with them. If they are doing it to save the 2%, offer to pay it and send as Goods & Services, so all parties are covered. It protects both the buyer & seller.

13. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    My only experience other than Ebay says whatever the site, you have to meet in person. Even with Ebay, you need to check returns and seller history. On Ebay I bought a 6K lens I returned with no problems. The seller was established and took returns. I would never buy sight unseen from craigslist or the likes. On another forum, I have bought, but these were known established friendships. And not high dollar (300 or less)

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  14. Mar 25, 2021 at 7:50 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    That's a good point. We've been using FB Marketplace for things like $5 worth of kids' books, not for vehicles, musical instruments, electronics or rental properties.

My wife keeps sending me links to trailers on Marketplace but one was 29' and labeled as 3/4 ton towable, which usually means you better have a 3500 diesel and one was a 12 year old trailer for $15k when a new one from that manufacturer is listed at $18k.

Black Wolf and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  15. Mar 26, 2021 at 5:05 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    As long as you can make actual physical contact with the item and seller of course it would be idiotic to buy sight unseen.
    I cant even accept that anyone would consider buying without being in person really?

I first request a phone number so we can speak using "Mouth Words" and trust me this will weed out 80% of potential sellers right away anyway and then we are done.
    But if you ever send money for things that you can not get in person I am sorry but you deserve to be ripped off maybe so that you learn this.

PayPal is where every single one of us agrees in advance not to use F&F unless they are indeed F&F and we also agree not to charge the buyer any fees that the seller is to give PP at any time for using PP EVER!!!!
    We all agreed to this but then many still try to get the fee from the buyer?
    WTAF????

I have been taken care of by PP every time I have had a problem unless I did not follow the simple rules,every time!

16. Mar 26, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The Staff is tired of hearing:

“This member ripped me off”

“It was fine when I sent it. Broke during shipping.”

Mods!!! Help

“How did you pay?”

“PayPal F/F”

:frusty:

17. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    trevorstuart24

trevorstuart24 New Member

Member:
    FB marketplace seems to be taking over unfortunately. I don’t like their algorithm or search ability but it’s what’s popular.

ezdog likes this.
  18. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2

Craigslist has been my go-to site for years, and it's were I found my RCSB and many accessories for it about 3 years ago, but it has changed. Many people moved to FB Marketplace, it was a decent place for a short time, but it is loaded with scammers today. FB Marketplace is loaded with people that don't or can't read the ad, they message you about items that are not listed for sale, and many don't speak/write English.

... there is a cost associated with free listings.

19. Mar 26, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    Used to use CL, but like others have said, it's wading through a mine field of scammers.

FB marketplace was good for a while, but like all good things, it too, came to an end. They changed their algorithm or something so it's constantly showing me items out of state before those in my neighborhood, the location filter never sticks from search to search, and it has become overrun with "ships to you" items instead of local. Setting the "pick up" filter similarly has to be reset for every search. Very frustrating. It's still my preference over the other options, though.

Terndrerrr[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 26, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    We've been doing e-transfer and contactless pickup with no issues to date. Got myself a new phone case still in the package for $10. Only other option would have been to order online for $40.

21. Mar 26, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    I am really only talking about big ticket things that you truly do not want to get ganked on not little stuff though I bet the first time it happens to you it will make you think twice the next time too?

Also a seller usually has literally nothing to lose anyway so of course they are not going to care if you are taking the risk.

22. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Coastboater

Coastboater New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Wheels & Tires, Power Running Boards
    I just sold my old truck on FB. High $20k value. I used FB's "boost" function. For $15 you "boost" the ad. The ad itself is free. The $15 boost guaranteed the ad would be seen by 5-700 more searches. It's their business model... I think FB is better than CL in that there's an identity associated with the inquiry.
    Also placed the ad on CL ($5) and Autotrader ($49) and got a few low ballers from each. I think Autotrader is great for buyer views but now they classify each ad as a good, great or a no comment deal which likely reduces views if you're ad is not "good" or "great". Once sold, their edit function doesn't give the user the ability to self delete the ad.

23. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    R0CKETMAN

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    1. Mitigate facts in PMs

2. Implement a feedback score system.

3. Let me moderate marketplace

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  24. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    R0CKETMAN

Member:
    NGAMTNS
    Vehicle:
    PP does very little to protect either party unless item is not received. Irrespective of method used.

25. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    Sundog

Sundog Zoom Zoom

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MNSP
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red CM Tundra
    FaceBook Marketplace search function blows big time.

For my needs I continue to use Craigslist: have sold 5 motorcycles within the last 7 months, and purchased one 1000 miles from me, all on CL. It's all about good communication, being upfront and managing expectations.

26. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    tuna813

tuna813 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tuna!
    Vehicle:
    13' RCSB
    I'm in Tampa, for me Facebook marketplace for the most part it's hard to beat if you want to sell clothing, housing goods, electronics, or PC stuff you don't use anymore. You'd be surprised what people value for what you're willing to get rid of. A washer/dryer for example it's a hot item (go figure). Lawnmowers, sneakers, tennis rackets, electronics, older unlocked phones, etc all go quick.

Offerup is ok, your stuff stays there longer and comes up in searches. If you have something you have laying around the garage, then definitely put it on offerup as it will continue to show when people search.

To avoid the "I am interested" or "Is this still available", add to your comments your city, zip, "will remove when sold", porch pick up, etc. Usually, Zelle or leave $ under the welcome mat does the trick.

Craigslist the listings expire, but it's a good place to sell sporting goods or to buy/sell gym equipment. (i.e. dumbells, barbell, etc)

Out of the 3, facebook marketplace seems to be the most reliable and favorable, especially if you're apart of neighborhood groups. You can also post in multiple groups which is nice.

27. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  28. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    I've posted this before, "How to deal with lowballers..."
    [​IMG]

29. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    Sometimes i want FB only for the marketplace. But I have done well over the years with CL. Mostly selling bikes and bicycle accessories. I’ve learned what to put in the adds to limit the does it fit or is it this or how’s it setup. I don’t reply to any of the scammers. Also prompt follow up is important. Missed a few sales for not checking my email daily. Haven’t checked into offer up. I do agree CL has gone downhill. Think it’s partly dilution of the products available between FB offer up and the like.

bleach likes this.
  30. Mar 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    Hahaha