1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Correct In Thinking It's A Bad Starter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Sully32, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Aug 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 double cab limited, and I haven't had any recent problems with it. I replaced the battery about two months ago. I got in yesterday on my lunch break, started perfectly, drove to two different stores without issue, then drove home quick. I shut the truck off to run inside and grab some stuff. I came out about 5 minutes later, and when I turned the key I only got one hard click.

It is continuing to display that same symptom. I had the battery checked, and it is good. I swapped relays around and checked all of the fuses. They are all good.

Does this sound like a seized starter? Normally I would tap on it to see if it helps, but I didn't have anything that would reach it in the awesome location that it's in.

2. Aug 19, 2021 at 11:57 AM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Sounds like it to me. Tundra starters are sooo much fun...

3. Aug 19, 2021 at 12:12 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    They're actually pretty easy, pull the bolt for the passenger side motor mount and jack the engine up about 2" and it'll come right out. Can do it in an afternoon pretty easily.

Sounds like starter OP, that's how mine failed, no warning except I was in the Starbucks parking lot waiting on my wife :D

4. Aug 19, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the quick replies. I can grab a starter from the dealer today, but I wanted to see if I could get any confirmation before starting on the replacement. I have had a ton of vehicles, but this is the first Toyota I've had. I didn't want to overlook some little thing that may be well known to Tundra owners. I appreciate it! At least mine broke at home instead of at Starbucks haha.

5. Aug 19, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    You could try and hot wire the starter and see if it engages, but it'd be a bitch as I recall to try and do that. The fact it was working and running fine, and the battery is fine, seems like a clear pointer it's the starter without overthinking it. And since it's a 2007, so it's probably up there in miles and certainly in years. Mine went out at 214k, and is the only issue I've ever had.

There's a thread somewhere on replacing the starter, nothing mind blowing in it if you're mechanically inclined but like I said the biggest thing is to jack the engine up. I was able to unbolt the starter through the wheel well pretty easily, but I could not get it to actually slide out between the engine and exhaust and frame. Eventually I said fuck it, and follows the advice in the thread mentioned and it came right out. If I recall correctly there's a single fat nut behind the shock tower for the motor mount, undo that, and then I gingerly jacked the engine up about two inches and the starter slid right out no problem. Don't have to disconnect anything since the engine isn't moving very far, so it turned out to be a very simple and the faster way to go than trying to get the starter into the perfect position to somehow slide out between everything. Never having done it, and spending a bit of time swearing and trying to pull the starter out before jacking the engine up and then giving up on that idea, it took me like 4 hours in the garage.

JLS in WA likes this.
  6. Aug 19, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info. It's a 2007 with 132k miles. So I'm sure depending on use it could be bad. I'm definitely mechanically inclined, but I just knew that this starter replacement was a bit more involved than most. I didn't want to spend a few hours doing it just to find out there is some simple solution on these trucks haha. Looks like I'll be starting on it tonight. Thanks again!

7. Aug 19, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    Silly question but you’ve had the battery load tested OUT of the truck? Taken off the cables and cleaned the posts? Cables are hooked up right to the starter as well?

8. Aug 19, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes to the load testing. Also, all cables and wires are hooked up correctly.

9. Aug 19, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    You would be surprised how many potential issues are solved by just cleaning the battery posts and terminals and hooking/retightening them.

10. Aug 19, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Trident

Trident New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra DC 4X4
    Yes, jack the engine up to remove.

The heat shields were the pain in the azz imo

11. Aug 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    fixnfly

fixnfly New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 5.7
    So how far can the engine be jacked up without doing any damage?

12. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    2nd2none

2nd2none New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 5.7L
    That’s exactly where I just got pissed off and walked away. First heat shield came off no problem but I can’t get the bolt off the smaller heat shield that is hidden by the exhaust. The head looks rounded off now. Might have been my fault as I couldn’t see if my box end was on there fully before I turned the first time. Called it a night after trying to get that bolt for about an hour.

13. Sep 12, 2021 at 10:13 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    So did it fix the issue???

14. Sep 12, 2021 at 10:42 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I cut that bad boy out, and placed it back in minus that bolt... its been about 30k miles for me, no issues..

15. Sep 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    Sully32

Sully32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sorry for the late response. Yes, it was the starter. It wasn't terrible to do. Jacking the engine up with the mount bolt taken out was definitely a saving grace though.

16. Sep 28, 2021 at 12:48 AM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    that's great that it resolved your issue. :)

out of curiosity...
    1.) how many miles on your Tundra?
    2.) do you have a scan tool that you pull up the data on how many starts were on the original starter?

just wanting to add some info to my Data bank of knowledge for the future. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top