1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

coolant leak ( water pump and radiator)

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by RedTundra02, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Mar 24, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    RedTundra02

RedTundra02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    I noticed recently that my antifreeze reservoir was a little low. I just took it in for an oil change and asked them to check for any coolant leaks. They found that the radiator was starting to leak which didn't surprise me too much since it is the original radiator ( 2002, 228,000 miles).

However I was surprised to hear that my water pump was also leaking. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump 3 years and 23,000 miles ago. This was done at the dealer and even though it has been more that 12 months they are going to try and get Toyota to cover it.

How unusual is it for a Toyota water pump to start leaking so soon? I'm hoping this was just a fluke. Also, should I be concerned about the timing belt? They said they would inspect it but I'm not sure how much that means. Should I be confident that this timing belt should be fine for another 67,000 miles?

2. Mar 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    They probably didn’t do a good job putting on the RTV sealant for the new water pump. It might have to be redone I would imagine.

I wouldn’t worry about the timing belt if they said it was done unless you went to some shady dealer. Usually I ask for the old parts to confirm they were replaced.

3. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I'd trust but verify... get a second opinion. My sc400 is leaking at the radiator as well and the fans have splattered it all over the front of the engine making me think I was also leaking at the water pump. My brother who is a mechanic looked at it and also said water pump and ignored the radiator.. radiator is cracked at the top and seeping when its hot..

4. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Wow! Your radiator lasted a long time. Mine went out a year after replacing the Timing Belt with 112k miles. The water pump was leaking and the TB was changed. Should have done the radiator at the same time, but didn’t.

If Toy is covering the job make them do everything fresh again and put a new TB belt on as that has to come off to do the Water Pump. Might want to replace the Alternator with a Reman as yours is getting near the end most likely. This will save you headache in the possible near future.

5. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:33 PM
    RedTundra02

RedTundra02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for the replies. I just heard from the dealer and Toyota is covering the water pump. They said that the timing belt looked fine so they will just replace the water pump and then the radiator. I guess I am lucky that I don't need to pay for the new pump, hopefully the belt is fine for the remaining 67,000 miles ( or 3 years) .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. Mar 24, 2021 at 4:06 PM
    Cummins3500

Cummins3500 Never finishes.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra double cab, 2014 Cummins 6-speed manual
    My water pump and timing belt was done at 109k and water pump failed again at 134k. I had em do the timing belt since they were already in there belt looked good though . I like for everything to be on the same schedule if at all possible

Products Discussed in

To Top