1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Contractors are frustrating and so is my wife

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by eharri3, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Our deck is pretty much done for and needs a complete rebuild, and we want to do composite. Our driveway asphalt also badly needs to be re done. Been layered over 3 times by the previous owner and now sunken and cracking. I originally wanted to do the jobs one after the other, either in quick succession or one one year and one the next. The wife got it in her mind that we should get a general contractor to do both at once and became more resistant to doing it any other way the more she thought about it.

Contractor #1 did work on our block we liked so we got his contact info from a neighbor. He shows up in November, takes measurements, has a conversation with us, and says he plans to stay in touch over the holidays and into the New Year emailing us options and eventually an estimate with an eye towards early spring work. We thought we handled it perfectly reach out so far in advance but nope.

December Text from me to him: "We still on?"
    "Yup. I'll be putting together something soon."

January Texts: "Set for the spring?"
    "Yep, you're going to hear from me."

Multiple February Texts: "Will we hear from you soon?"
    "Yep, finalizing everything."

Early March: "???"
    Him: "Oh you didn't get it? Didn't realize that didn't get to you, something must be wrong with the email. I'll shoot it out tonight."
    An hour later I get an email with a word attachment that has one sentence that says "Replace footings and re-do deck with pressure treated lumber. 22K."

Clearly he forgot about us after all those contacts and just spat out a number when I got back to him in March. Didn't even specify "composite" so I have no idea if he remembers we didn't want wood again. Then after leaving me hanging all that time he pesters me in texts about whether I'm ready to decide to move forward soon so he can get the ball rolling. And no, he can't do the asphalt because his asphalt guy retired. I blow him off for the time being and start making other calls.

Contractor #2 answers his phone on the first ring, says he can definitely help me and asks for pictures so he can start coming up with ideas. 3 weeks ago. Never heard from him.

Contractor #3 lives a few blocks away and has been responsive. After a week waiting for the estimate he said he'd have in a few days I reach out and he says his asphalt guy won't pick up the phone but he can get me a Concrete quote. I say fine, send the concrete guy on by. Maybe his proposal will be more doable than we thought for Concrete.

I'm now seeing a recurring theme here that doing it the way my wife wanted and bundling it all means we're at the mercy of the GC's specific paving person to pick up the phone and be responsive to him as opposed to us choosing who is available and responsive to do that part on their own. First the contractor has to not be busy. Then, HIS asphalt guy who is the only one he works with has to not be retired or not have temporarily closed up shop because his daughter went into rehab, or his wife's having surgery, or his dog dies, or whatever.

Finally the 3rd GC and concrete guy are coming to look at the property Saturday and get last minute details together before giving me a number so I can go to the bank and get the ball rolling.

I guess post COVID is hectic for these guys, but I wish some of them would have just had the courtesy to tell me they have no time for my business right now and toss me names of others in the business who might be able to help me. I wouldn't take it personally.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  2. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    Got nuthin to do with covid. I've seen and experienced this many years ago.
    When business is good, they cherry pick their work.

3. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:53 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    And I am OK with that, I just resent people acting eager to jump in then suddenly forgetting my number. As a businessman they have every right to pick what jobs look best for them based on whatever factors they want. Just tell me up front so I can go down the list. Otherwise my search slows down and I lose time thinking I found someone ready to move forward only to find out that's not so.

4. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Feno

Feno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Berkshires, NY
    Vehicle:
    03 AC SR5
    Just beware:
    With the current booming cash surplus of residential, the influx of work these contractors have currently has led every man and his dog believe that they can do the job as well.
    As such, many general contractors are taking on jobs that they have no experience in to scoop up the demand. Don't opt out for a guy just for his availability.
    Heard many a horror story of work being have to be redone.

If you are not incapacitated you should have a go at the deck yourself, its pretty easy. I can post pictures up of 65 x 8 deck I just built with no experience, just taking it slowly and triple checking all measurements.
    As for the Mrs, not meaning to be misogynistic here, but every man goes through a tirade of complaints if you do something your way until its completed, then there is just glorious silence.:muscleflexing:

Nowhereman likes this.
  5. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    They want you to think you are good to go but in reality, they use people for backlogging, acquiring other contracts and pushing you up or down depending on how successful they are at getting big contracts.

6. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:59 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    Deck building is fun and rewarding.
    I did mine in our back yard years ago for three levels with benches. Came out very nice.
    Just pop for a good angle cutoff saw, get your foundation dialed in with good pier placements.
    You'll be proud of your work.

10TundraSR5 and Feno[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Apr 7, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    Half track

Half track New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Western Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tundra SR5 TRD, 38 gal tank
    Tow Mirrors
    Depending where you live, contractors are having a had time getting help.

Why work when you get free monies from the government, stay home and play video games.

I put my own trailer concrete pad in, 45' x12'. Removes 10 yards of dirt, framed it, added 3/8" rebar and did a 6" pore.

Got tried of waiting for contractors.

8. Apr 7, 2022 at 10:34 AM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    Don't know where you're located but seems to be a problem nation wide. Curious to know why you would look for someone to build a deck and pave a driveway? Seem like polar opposites. I had a similar problem getting estimates for tree removal. Took forever and constant follow-up.

9. Apr 7, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Im in your exact shoes now with stump grinding and light grading

I’ve already cut down and burnt the trees!

I have called over a dozen people out here who just give me an over the moon price or never even show up! It’s frustrating!

Njmike13[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    I run large scale commercial jobs with multiple contractors/trades for a living - getting guys lined up to do work is like herding cats and a flat out pain in the ass sometimes.

Unless you have deep pockets, sign contracts and have a legal team to back you up if your contract agreements aren't met, you just kind of have to go with the flow. Especially residential, they work when they feel like it and there is more work than people to do it right now.

I would try to do as much work yourself if possible. It's hard, but rewarding if you have the time. You can have everything delivered to your house for the deck for almost free from a lumber yard.

11. Apr 7, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Mother's Day is right around the corner, buy her some gloves and a nailbag!

12. Apr 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Agreed, but I tell you what - having spoken to many contractors (telecom; home improvement; etc.), literally *ALL* of them are using/have used "Well, you know, COVID ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" as their excuse for tardiness and the like.

13. Apr 7, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    All tied together, deck protrudes into driveway and a couple of the posts are in the asphalt. Electrical line for garage leaves the house along the deck before going underground under driveway. Asphalt would need digging up in a couple spots to add footings for expansion.

If it only needed boards and railings I’d be temped to DIY but lack the time, comfort level or know how to deal with the foundational and framing work to expand. High energy 6 year old who loads up on activities and a wife working every 3rd weekend and nights half the time.

Njmike13[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 7, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    FredB32

FredB32 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD RW
    I'm smelling a "Show Us Your Deck" thread here somewhere... :D

Edited to add - I totally missed like a hundred opportunities to suggest thread titles:

"Show Us Your Deck!"
    "Let's compare deck sizes!"
    "My deck is bigger than yours!"
    "Whip out your deck!"

Okay...I'm done...

eharri3[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 7, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
    Price it out diy wait for estimate save 20k

COElkHunter and FredB32 like this.
  16. Apr 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    andnyleswillriot

andnyleswillriot Not Remote Working

Member:
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC w/ Black Topo Topper
    Toytec 3" w/2.5 Coilovers. SPC UCA's. Method Roost Bronze Wheels. 35" BFG KO2's. SPC Upper Control Arms. 2019+ TRD Pro Grill. LED headlight bulbs. 2020 OEM LED Fog lights. Tech12volts Remote Start. MobArmor Magnetic Phone Mount. Topo Topper.

Products Discussed in

To Top