1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering new Super White Sequoia---best way to protect paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Berettafan, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Sep 27, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    Looking at a new Sequoia tonight. Super white. If we get it what is the best and easiest DIY way to protect the paint?

2. Sep 27, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  3. Sep 27, 2019 at 8:39 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Hey, got a Blizzard Pearl Sequoia, so close enough. I know you want easy, but how easy? You willing to spend around a hundred dollars or so on products? A Sequoia is pretty enormous, so it does take a little time to wash regardless of how you do it, but there are some early steps you can take to make future work easier.

Pinay likes this.
  4. Sep 27, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    Berettafan

Berettafan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    no problem spending the money for quality products.

NUDRAT and Pinay like this.
  5. Sep 27, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
  6. Sep 27, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Ok, so here’s a link to the first detail I did on the Sequoia:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ask-the-detailer.18408/page-34#post-1221559

Though I recommend all the steps I took there, it will run about $200.00 for all of the products. This is a tried and true method that many here have had success with. It’s up to you whether or not to do the Iron X / Clay mitt step, but you’ll be very pleased if you do.

Another easy option is Adams Ceramic Waterless Wash. @driverdog recently turned us onto it, and it seems like it’s going to be a big hit. We don’t know the longevity of it yet, but I’m thinking it’s going to be pretty durable.
    I actually think that a base of Hydro2, with Adams Ceramic wash on top would be a very easy, durable, and beautiful combination. I haven’t tried those two together yet, but I’m confident it will be excellent. This would be the same as what I did in the link I posted, but using Adams instead of Reload.

@SouthBoundSteve as both a white Tundra owner, and the one who recommended most of this stuff to us, do you have any other input or critique of my advice?

NUDRAT likes this.
  7. Sep 27, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Something like Xpel film would truly protect the paint, especially in damage prone areas. There are other PPF companies out there too,I just used Xpel as an example. This really isn't a DIY job though unless you have some serious skills and patience.

A ceramic coating is probably your 2nd best bet but it won't prevent chips and scratches like a PPF will. Ceramic can be done DIY if you have good lighting and a garage to keep the vehicle in after you apply it. Wash, IronX, clay, Polish with carpro essence to prime and jewel the surface, 2 coats of carpro cquartz topped with gliss would be very nice. maintain by washing with reset and seal with reload every few months, use ech2o for quick wipe downs and spot cleaning.

NUDRAT likes this.
  8. Sep 27, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    NUDRAT likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top