1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering going from F-150 to Tundra

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IowaGuy, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Hey all, first post and I have a LOT of questions.

I currently own a 2020 F-150 that I am just not pleased with as it has a lot of squeaks, rattles and pops and has already had suspension parts replaced. I am considering a Tundra due to their seemingly legendary reliability. Please bear with me and hopefully you can all help me with some or all of my questions.

1. Has anyone here owned a recent Tundra and F-150 or can give me a comparison on ride and quality. Would you buy another Tundra?

2. Can I purchase a Toyota extended factory warranty online or at a dealer

3. Is the factory warranty good if it is under the yrs / miles if I purchase used.

4. How quiet are the Tundras? The plastic console and suspension on my F-150 rattles like a barrel full of marbles.

5. Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2018- 2020 Tundra under 35K miles and is there anything specific I should look out for?

6. I wanting the full 4 door crew cab model, do these all have the 38 gal. tank?

7. are there any must have features I should look for?

8. anything else I should know or be aware of concerning the Tunrda? I have read a bit online and I am aware of the more simple interior and fewer bells and whistles on the Tundra and I actually think I would like that.

9. Oh, are Nav. map updated on the Tundra free?

Thank you

CallsignKodiak and Metro14536 like this.
  2. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    1. There seem to be some recent converts. The search function at the top right is fairly powerful. Search tundra f150, and check the titles only box.
    2. Yep
    3. Yep
    4. Mine is silent. It feels so well put together. People have their gripes with Tundras, but rattling generally isn’t one of them.
    5. Not at all. I would look for the cam tower seepage and have it fixed if the truck is still under warranty. For the vast majority who have it, it’s not an actual issue; just annoying.
    6. The bare bones crewmax SR5 without the SR5 upgrade package has a 6th seat (front middle) with a console shifter and the smaller fuel tank. Every other SR5 crewmax and every other trim level has the big tank.
    7. Subjective. I wish mine had the front bench seat. I would’ve added the tank after. Hindsight and all that….
    8. It’s a heavy half ton truck. Payload is lower than domestics, but fairly comparable to their loaded premium trims. It also has a tendency to bounce a bit on seamed concrete sections of the interstate. If you maintain your vehicles yourself, you will cry tears of joy when you get under the Tundra. It is so well made and well thought out. Take care of it, and it will last forever.
    9. No idea. I don’t use nav.

Welcome to the forum!

Black Wolf, Tundra'25 and Metro14536 like this.
  3. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    test drive it and bring it to a mechanic to check it out.

4. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax TRD Off-road
    5. I bought a 2019 with 23k. Did so at the dealer and got a Toyota Certified rig, then added a Toyota extended warrantee to 100k. That was just before the crazy spike in used prices, but is a good way to go if you want factory warrantee coverage. It’s been flawless.

If you tow, the Pro model is level and will sag, the others have around 2-2.5” of rake. If you go off road, the Off-road Package is a joke, you will end up replacing the skids I bet, so may as well get whatever trim you want, then buy good skids.

5. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    Welcome!
    @Green Thunder is a recent convert. Hopefully he has something to add, although due to the Ford PTSD he might of blocked out all the memories.

Kratos and Green Thunder like this.
  6. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    I had a 2010 I got in 2017 with 160k, it was silent and bulletproof. traded it back to the dealer for a 2017 Toyota 86, worst mistake in recent memory, 10 months later I traded the 86 for a 2013 Sequoia.

I rented a top of the line 2020 Excursion in Late February or early March. It was nice but for 50k less I'll keep my Seqioia.

Good luck.

Metro14536 and NWPirate like this.
  7. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    CallsignKodiak

CallsignKodiak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    Ankeny, Iowa here. Just bought a 2021 SR5 4x4 CrewMax from Toyota of Des Moines. 20-year powertrain warranty. Not much to worry about with these. F-150s are good trucks. Tundras are really good too, just in more & different ways.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  8. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    batman900

batman900 Yep

Member:
    Vehicle:
    24-RAM 2500, 05-Tundra, 11-Accord
    Welcome.

The Tundra rides much softer and is much heavier than the F150. The interior materials look a lot cheaper but 100% will hold up better. Tundra rides quiet unless you have the TRD exhaust, my buddies has 120k miles and still doesn't rattle. Warranty I'm not sure but I thought all manufacturers honored it for the duration even if purchased used but I've never been in that situation. You should also be able to purchase an extended warranty online or at your dealer, there's a thread around here somewhere with a nice fella that can hook you up cheaper than your local dealer with a Toyota warranty. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick up a used one and 35k isn't even broken in considering how long they last. Depending on your location check for rust and make sure no flood damage. Not all Tundra's have the 38g tank but almost anything above the bargain basement models (probably) will. Must have features are certainly the 38g tank. As others will mention, payload and towing are lower than competitors. 2019+ don't have a good trans cooler so if you plan on towing heavy / often, consider you will want to add one if you buy within that year range, it's not a huge deal, I'm putting mine on next weekend.

At the end of it, Tundra is a set it and forget it truck. Nothing exciting that will start and run day after day with no surprises.

9. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Is the cam tower leak a big deal and what years does it apply to? Do they use oil between changes because of it?
    How hard it it to add a bigger or better trans cooler - I do most of my own mechanic work when possible

Thanks guys, despite the user name I now live in Arizona. I would be pulling a 3K lb cargo trailer with the truck so towing capacity isn't too big of a deal.

10. Oct 10, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Thanks for the tag @NWPirate. I'm a recovering Ford addict. It is a long and painful recovery, but worth it.

As for your questions:
    1. Has anyone here owned a recent Tundra and F-150 or can give me a comparison on ride and quality. Would you buy another Tundra?
    I had a 2016 F150 CC SB with the EB.

As for the ride: It had the garbage FX4 package and I promptly tore out those shocks and installed Bilstein 5100s. I'm running a Pro now, so I cannot comment on how the Ford might compare to the non-Pro suspension. But the FX4 was horrible and my Pro is amazing.

As for the quality: I had my Ford for nearly 4 years and 58k miles. In that time I went through two dealerships; burned the relationship at both since they continually returned a truck to me with the same problem. The issues that were solved were a throttle sensor issue (TSB for some widget) and one of the tire pressure sensors went bad. Things that were never fixed were the Sync continually locking up (3-4 trips to dealership) and the IWB leaking (6+ trips). Plus lets not forget the 3 recalls for the frozen door locks that continued to be a problem and I think one recall for the seat belt bolt being defective. Oh, and on my final Sync repair attempt the Tech couldn't program it to my truck correctly so gave me a garbage replacement system that still locked up AND couldn't talk to the GPS antenna, so my "call 911 in an accident" feature was INOP. I'd sunk a crap-ton of money into that truck with mods and trading it in tested my marriage, but I wasn't about to start paying out of pocket for all those issues as I passed the 60k warranty.

Sorry, you didn't want to hear about my Ford issues but my Sponsor says talking about it helps.

As for my Tundra, I'll have had it two years next weekend. Driven 21.xxx miles and it has been a dream. My first and only true warranty issue was one of the door edge protectors starting to come off a few months ago. Didn't bother with a dealership trip for that...cleaned it up and put a dab of super glue in there. If you're looking at a new 2022 truck, it will be more competitive on widgets and gear to the Ford than the current generation, but that hasn't bothered me. Everything works, all the time, and I know I can trust it. Never felt that with my F150. My Tundra was my first Toyota and now I have a Corolla in the driveway too. I'm a total convert...and will probably never buy anything else.

2. Can I purchase a Toyota extended factory warranty online or at a dealer
    You can for sure at the dealer...and I think there are a few dealers that will sell them online. Not sure...I don't bother with those, especially with Toyotas.
    3. Is the factory warranty good if it is under the yrs / miles if I purchase used.
    Dunno...I assume most are transferable
    4. How quiet are the Tundras? The plastic console and suspension on my F-150 rattles like a barrel full of marbles.
    I've had no squeaks or rattles in my truck, but the road noise is louder than a Ford. That's not a surprise, Ford puts a lot of effort to having a quiet cab. The Tundra isn't loud by any means.
    5. Would you be hesitant to buy a used 2018- 2020 Tundra under 35K miles and is there anything specific I should look out for?
    Yes, only because used prices are nuts right now and you'll loose a lot of value once prices return to normal (but probably have more value in a used Toyota than what you're driving right now). Otherwise they are great trucks. Be aware that some engines have cam tower leaks (read about it here on the forum). Starting in 2019, Toyota removed the transmission cooler. It's the big dust-up here on the forum but not an issue if you're not towing. I tow a 4k lb travel trailer shaped like a brick and haven't had any issues.
    6. I wanting the full 4 door crew cab model, do these all have the 38 gal. tank?
    Pretty sure they do, but some of the lower trim models might not. Toyota seemed to make that tank basic at some point (part of a mandatory package).
    7. are there any must have features I should look for?
    The large fuel tank for sure. Go for a 2018 if you want a transmission cooler (although you can buy a kit from a member here). The Pro got Apple CarPlay (and whatever the Android version is) in 2020, not sure when it was rolled into the other models. Honestly, grab a brochure for each model year and map out what you want. Toyota seems to make changes every year on at least a few trim levels, so there can be huge variations.
    8. anything else I should know or be aware of concerning the Tunrda? I have read a bit online and I am aware of the more simple interior and fewer bells and whistles on the Tundra and I actually think I would like that. It takes coming from a Ford to appreciate simple and functional.

9. Oh, are Nav. map updated on the Tundra free? Nope...don't waste your money, just use your phone!

11. Oct 10, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    Cam tower will drink oil if the engine has it, most don't have this issue but it present. Easy to check for through the wheel wells. It affects 2007 to 2021 Tundras.

If trans cooler is a big deal buy 2018 or before, came from factory with auxiliary radiator trans cooler. 3k lbs won't be an issue for the 2019-2021 even without the extra radiator. It is most definitely possible to add one if you really feel like you need it, many on the forum have done so.

12. Oct 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
  13. Oct 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    TRDSnowInTX

TRDSnowInTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    All I drove was Ford trucks until 2018. That was when I got sick of Ford not holding their value and feeling the pain you described of everything sounding like it was loose. I bought my first Tundra Limited in 2018 and loved the truck. Not one issue and rode like a real truck like Ford used to be. I am now on my 2nd Tundra which is a 2021 Tundra TRD Pro. The trade was a beautiful thing when I didn’t have to hear how my truck didn’t hold its value. I love this one even more than the 18. You won’t go wrong switching over.

14. Oct 10, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    THinTX

THinTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DC 4X4
    I’ve never owned a Ford truck but I’ve been a tech for over 12 years. I see fewer issues with Toyota trucks than any other. A friend of mine has been a Ford dealer tech for as long, and was a die hard Ford man. 5 years ago he made the Tundra switch from Ford citing “I’ve lost a lot of faith in the brand”.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  15. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    Tundra14Platinum

Tundra14Platinum I love reading the CoC in my spare time

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum CM Sky Silver
    TRD PRO Grill/Headlights, Swaybar, Eibach
  16. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Thanks guys, I test drove a 2019 today and it rode nicer than my Ford. I am also ado-it-myself type guy and the last time I changed the oil on my Ford I put about 3 quarts onto the garage floor because of Fords plastic oil plug tight in front of the front sway bar.

I might take a hit on trade, but right now I just dont feel that my Ford is good for the long haul. The fords are typically known as a work truck but their quality has just gone to pot.

I was really wanting a Tundra that is still under the original warranty, but it really doesn't sound like too big of an issue.

Oh, how about toyota service and work, I hate to keep mentioning Ford but they really act like they dont give a crap and unless there is a service code being thrown then they really dont know what to do.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  17. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    Get a Tundra and don’t look back. I have a 13 TRD Sport Crew Max and my dealer buddy is hounding to come in and trade it for a 21 two wheel drive. I have been in a few Tundra trucks and have never heard a rattle! :)

18. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    FauxTRD

FauxTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5
    Make sure you have the dealership or a mechanic check the rear axles to make sure they are in spec /not bent.

19. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    ^^^ when I take my truck in for service and to add parts thru have always taken care of me and have given me discounts that they can get away with and never no troubles. I have used the same place since 2012 though so that always helps

20. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    I used to make fun of the TRD's and call them TURDS, sorry I guess karma has its way.

Will a 33" tire fit stock and does it further kill the MPG by a lot.

What does certified from a dealer mean and what does it get me. I am seeing some 45K mile trucks that are certified.

21. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Stealerships are stealerships no matter the brand. I stay away. It’s a big part of the reason I bought a Tundra. I haven’t returned to my dealer once. I don’t intend to ever go back, and I have the best chance of this driving and self-maintaining a Toyota.

Some guys swear by their dealerships. I think that’s the exception, not the rule. All three near me attempted really shady stuff with me. I have zero tolerance for that. I drove well outside of town to buy my truck new.

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  22. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:33 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Yes they will fit. Depending on tire weight and tread pattern, you will lose some fuel economy. Hard to say how much. I have 275/70R18 Duratracs on mine with a 2” lift, and I get around 15 mpg on the freeway at 70-75.

23. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    CMikeB

CMikeB New Member

Member:
    BOUGHT my 2010 new. If I was BUYING a new truck, I wouldn't consider another half ton model. My SR5 has 86,000 issue free, rattle free miles on it. One thing I'll warn you about though, my truck always has something wrong with it, that needs my attention. Just the other day, my engine compartment was dusty and I had to detail it again!:eek2::devil:

Hbjeff likes this.
  24. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    Refusuck

Refusuck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Si Tres
    Arch Cape OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I have both an F150 and Tundra - sad to say the F150 is being sold - so that pretty much sums up my opinion of Ford.

25. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Are accessories readily available like tonneau covers, all rubber floor liners, and other stuff I will have to try to justify to the wife.

What does the extra hood scoop model mean, is that the TRD model. There is the regular intake looking lip near the grill and then some models I see have another scoop further back on the center of the hood.

26. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
  27. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Black

Black Raised Hands Surround Us. 3 Nails To Protect Us

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited CrewMax
    Falcon Leveling System, Coachbuilder +1s, RCI Skid Plates
    I am a Ford guy through and through. I currently own two and have had 7 total ranging in years from 1931-2016 I have around 3/4 of million miles on them combined.
    I have highly enjoyed them all with only one major issue to speak of.
    I had a lifted 2016 Ecoboost Expedition EL with 75k miles that I traded for a 2014 Tundra with 75k miles as I wanted a truck.
    I also looked at the F150s but I far preferred the Tundra.
    I would not waste any money on a warranty for a Toyota and would buy a 35k mile Tundra in a heartbeat.
    Hell I bought one with 75k miles without batting an eye. I have had it for about 2 years and just rolled 90k and expect not even to be half way on the mileage it will have when it goes away.
    The father in laws 2008 Tundra just rolled 280k miles with no major issues.

Terndrerrr and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  28. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    33” fit mine stock with no rubs. Raised the front just under 1” with Bilstein 5100’s, and they rubbed the front skid plate. RCI front skid plate was installed a week later and no rubs. I lost just about 1.5 mpg with the larger heavier 10 plys and small lift. Added a hard tonneau and mileage improved about 1mpg. Net loss about .5 mpg.

The certified gives you a quasi new vehicle warrantee and usually options to purchase a much longer warrantee. My certified also came with a year of maintenance, basically oil changes every 10k and tire rotation, with free inspections every 5k.

29. Oct 10, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Accessories are a yes. I added both you mentioned. Mine has the intake looking lip, no idea if it’s appearance or functional. Some mount a LED light bar in there.

30. Oct 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    Whisper

Whisper New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tundra SR5
    Just made the switch and traded in my 2011 F-150 for a 2021 Tundra w/ TRD Off-Road package. Have owned Ford pickups, SUVs and cars since 1987. I finally just got sick and tired of the lack of quality in my F-150 and traded it in. Love the V8 in the Tundra compared to the 3.5L Ecoboost. Transmission was starting to die in the F-150 after 50K miles, so that provided the impetus to upgrade to the Tundra. Looking forward to accessorizing the Tundra.

Saltyhero13 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top