1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Common bonds breed good people/friends

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Eclipsed & Floating, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating [OP] Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Share an experience that built an indestructible bond between yourself and another person(s) that will never be broken.....

Mine:
    When I was the Outdoor Adventure Director for a summer in Maine in 2000 I had a staff of about 25. I took them tromping through the White Mountains of New Hamshire for our "get to know you" trip and 1 guy got lost overnight. We eventually found him scared and hungry. We got him warm, fed, watered, and he stuck by my side for the remainder of the week while bushwacking. During this time he was glued to me and my map/compass reading. After that week in the woods he never took his compass off and learned mastery navigation skills. Skills he still uses today for his job. It made me proud to see his level of interest in navigation, but what sparked it was his lack of knowledge putting him in his predicament.

Same summer...Rock climbing in Acadia NP...same guy. He had never climbed before and I had him on a fairly difficult route. After 1.5 hours of blood, sweat, tears, and exhaustion he finally was able to make it up. He had to. It was the easiest way and had to hike out that way. When he got to the top the bond of tge summer set in. We were friends for life and if I got a splinter he would fly in to remove it for me
    Same from my end!

Common bonds breed good friends/people.

EVERYONE...Let's hear yours!!
    @FlashCulprit
    @ColoradoTJ
    @Thegr8punkin
    @joonbug
    @COMiamiFan
    @Joeshaker
    These are just a few names that I know have some stories.

2. Apr 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    Wow. That's really cool man. I didn't know you had worked adventure guiding/job.

I've got a lot of stories from working in search and rescue training. There were a handful of times that we worked with local PD to assist on S&R however, I never really made any friends as most people were immediately shuttled to hospitals.

The one story that comes to mind is about while I was down in Africa. I graduated High School at 18 and decided to go down to South Africa to try something new and different. During my travels I started working at a hostel as part of a summer internship. About a month in to that internship I met a fellow at a bar in downtown cape town (legal drinking age is 16). He was having a rough time after dealing with financial issues and personal issues. We got to talking and although sketchy, he seemed genuine. After about a week of talking and becoming friends he asked me if I would be interested in assisting with a month long job flying to Bissau in Guinea Bissau to sign and help move 3 trucks with hired drivers to the southern cape. I ended up taking the job. It ended up being 33 days of pure hell driving through some of the most beautiful and rugged terrain I had ever seen. I slept on top of the van almost every night, saw poverty, saw the rich, saw wildlife that may not exist for my grandchildren, and learned more than I ever will in a months time. Of course, the things that bonded us were the immense amount of hours rigging questionable repairs to limp us from town to town, the fights with border agents, the scammers who relentlessly tried to take everything we owned, the thieves that stole thousands of rand in tools from us. To this day I still talk at least once a week to him and would trust him with anything. And I have gained a life long friend that I know I can ask anything. He still has my TD5 that I bought to get around town! Sends me pictures of it all the time.

TL/DR: I made a stupid mistake as a late Teenager, ended up being the highlight of my life.

285338_2108748751943_632553_n.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 11.26.43 PM.jpg

3. Apr 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Military service= bonded forever

4. Apr 25, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    How about some racing!

My first year in a front wheel drive race car I was lost. It made no sense to me that you don't use the steering wheel to correct a sideways race car. There's an old saying that in racing you know you're getting better when the front of your car is getting banged up more than the back bumper. I got run over a ton in my first year. Mostly on restarts and mostly because anyone can drive in circles, most can drive fast in circles, but in a tight pack of cars, the number of people that are "good" at it decreases substantially. It happened a lot on restarts for me because I was in a big boat of a 4 cylinder car, a Honda Accord. Everyone else was in Civics and CRXs. I weighed in about 800 pounds more and had an additional 8 inches of wheelbase (which is helpful for saving a car) than any of my competitors.

There were four rookies in our division. Myself included. We had a restart with about 5 laps to go. I was running fifth out of 12 cars. We get the green flag and all barrel off into turn one. The thing is, with these front wheel drives, you have to get back in the throttle to straighten them out. So going into turn one with another rookie behind me and tire pressures were way up at that point because we'd all been running hard, the guy behind me hit me a ton in his CRX. A CRX front bumper and an Accord rear bumper are not the same height, so he went under my rear end and picked the back tires of my car up off the ground. I didn't know who he was and I didn't care. I also didn't know he was getting on the gas to avoid spinning out in front of the rest of the field at that point. He drove up under me coming off of turn two and I made sure he knew I wasn't happy by "rubbing" my left front fender against his right rear quarter panel. Where I did it though, is where the backstretch wall starts. In hindsight, the sensation he would have felt in that car was something that non of us would enjoy. He didn't know what my intentions were or who I was either. I was literally just getting him enough to make a point, but he told me afterwords he thought I was trying to turn him headlong into the wall (which anyone who knows me knows I wouldn't intentionally do!). After the race, I get out of the car and this skinny 18 year old kid with a chip on his shoulder and a helmet in his hand comes huffing and puffing into my pit box. It takes a 230 pound guy a few extra minutes to get out of the car when the race is done. I was not mad anymore, I felt we had settled it well. I was planning on going to talk to him when I was out, but didn't expect him to be there when I got out. He had the look in his eye like he wanted to kill me. We chatted for a few minutes, I told him what I thought, he told me what he thought. He said he came over to punch me in the face, which he didn't do thankfully. We had a conversation, shook hands and went about our business. A few weeks later I had a really hard crash. I destroyed that Accord and this young man, Brandon, was at my pit box as soon as the race was over, hugged me and said he was glad I was okay.

So several years have passed by. We've both had our ups and downs. But last year, Brandon won his first race. I ran fourth. My pit box is right by the exit of the race track and I was the first one to get to him when he won his race. I put my head in the window, hugged him and told him how proud of him I was. He had tears in his eyes and i may have left a dent or two on the roof hitting the car telling him to go celebrate with his family.

He and I have become close. He has always driven for someone else, but at the end of last season, he bought my car from me. I have a new one anyway. But he asked me to be my teammate, because he didn't respect how anyone treated people as much as he respected me. I dropped some money off the price and said I would be happy to. He took that car to an open event about two weeks after he bought it. He crashed it. Hard. I was in Virginia for my wife's high school reunion and got a call from a dejected kid that apologized up and down for wrecking "your race car". He was okay physically and as I told him, that was all that mattered. We have almost gotten that old car cut apart and re-welded to the point that he'll be able to practice it on May 6th. We've talked about life, family, my son, what it's like to be a dad, money, home ownership and everything in between. We're going to a concert together this weekend, as a matter of fact. I consider this kid that's almost half my age one of my best friends. I hope someday to put him in a race car I own. Which, in my opinion is one of the greatest shows of respect there is out there.

5. Apr 25, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Damn son! That sounds intense. Awesome story

6. Apr 25, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Thats so cool! How crazy is it when anger turns to respect almost immediately? Great story Chris!

What kind of cars do you race? I've heard you speak of racing and have always been interested in your level

7. Apr 25, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Shit! I can't top these awesome stories.

8. Apr 25, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. It really is cool. My son adores him and the feeling is mutual it appears. When I was about to become a dad, Brandon and I rode about an hour and a half together to go to a practice session up north. It restored my faith that kids could be decent, really. I'm lucky to have met him.

I race in a bottom of the barrel division. It is a four cylinder, Thursday night class. The reason I'm in the four cylinders now is cost of fuel (race fuel at $10-$12/gallon) and the cost of tires, as we are the only division left that can run DOT tires on the cars. Everyone else has to buy track tires that are only good for one track. It costs a ton of money and for a hobby to be so expensive I had to make the decision to run something cheapER...lol.

IMG_4840.jpg

9. Apr 25, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    You don't have to top it. This isn't like Tundra builds....there is no winner and we all get trophies

dragos28 and Crewmax Chris like this.
  10. Apr 25, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I am excited to hear a few things from your recent post...that your son "adores him, and likewise" and that word "passion." Not everyone finds their passion and many a scared to search for it.

In my case my passion is teaching people cool stuff. Since I met my soon to be ex I've shown my son how to ride a snowboard and he's already teaching freestyle clinics at the age of 15. I was just offered 2 jobs, one in denver and one in phoenix. My passion for teaching cool stuff has bled into his blood and now I can't take the jobs because he wouldn't have the immediate access he does now.

Passion is not going with the flow but carving out your own line. I am going to sacrifice potential promotions so my kid can follow his dream. Did I mention he's my stepson and I don't have any of my own?

I'm thrilled to hear you speak of passion, as thats where all great bonds come from.

11. Apr 25, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    :rofl:
    Alrighty then, here is my lame story.

Back in FL when I was working at Sports Authority Corp Office (desk jockey over here, remember?) I started working in the Logistics Department running analysis on operational costs and preparing budgets. This other guy, Kevin, had just moved into the department as well to identify process improvements at our warehouses (everyone still awake? OK, good!). So he identified physical improvement process and I worked on cost containment. So of course, $ trumps all, so when I would recommend changes at the facilities that would reduce costs, mine would win and they would deliver savings to the bottom line while his would just add efficiencies (which can also save money). But, I was more polished in presenting so I would win most of time on what changes to implement at the warehouses.

Well, this guy Kevin is a short tempered guy, totally opposite of me. So his ego got bruised and decided to confront me that I was stealing his shit and taking credit for it. Told him to prove it. Needless to say, we got into a shoving and screaming match to see who had the bigger d***. After several weeks of not talking to each other (and we sat right next to each other in the cubes), he realized he was wrong and apologized. I accepted, started talking and realized we have more in common than we thought (except in politics - COMPLETELY opposite).

We both moved to CO when Sports Authority merged with Garts and we both moved into Highlands Ranch. So we started hanging out riding our bikes, hiking, parties, etc (I had no kids at the time LOL). He then moved to GA for 3 years and wanted to come back to CO. We stayed in touch all this time. He's been back for a while now, we still go camping and backpacking buddy. He's gotten me 2 jobs since (including the one I'm in now) and I know he'll be there if I ever need it like I've been for him when he's had his heart attacks. So we've been buds since we started fighting over spreadsheets and data, LOL.

OK, you can wake up now!

Crewmax Chris and joonbug like this.
  12. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:01 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    That's awesome! Family is family, regardless of how it's formed. Passions are important. There is always bleachers full of people with similar passion for racing, but lack something to get in a car. Whether it be money, balls, or something else. I like that some of my fans get to live that passion through me.

13. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Absolutely nothing boring about that story!!!!

That kind of positivity is nothing to minimize. Making a lifelong friend comes in many shapes and sizes and looking back is tge best part...to see where you guys were and where you are now.

VERY IMPRESSIVE :thumbsup:

14. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:29 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Thats so cool.

I consider myself to have a sort of fan base but not for what I'm doing. You do cool stuff and deserve a fan base!!

And, you're right...family is family no matter how it's formed.

Thanks for sharing

Crewmax Chris[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Not much of a story, but when I first moved to CO in 2008, I met a co-worker (opposite department) who did pranks all day. I was not happy and set on a mission to have him termed.
    As the months progressed we became closer than close- I returned his pranks with bigger and better ones and we've been really close friends since. He ended up leaving in 2013 to Excel Energy and had to move 2.5 hours away. We'll be at his house this Saturday for dinner with the family ...and a new gun :cool:

16. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    a47299bb0a134c10546f5626f744a3a4_577ca8c02b95b28ebc828a254fd64fcf7ca6b826.jpg again people amaze me.

17. Apr 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Thank you, Dr.

18. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Dr??

Hence the nurses "convo"

19. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Did you get him termed?

20. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    It's funny how a lot of best friends start off hating eachother or from fighting. My best friend and actually my oldest friend, I've known him since 1st grade. In 7th grade, we got into a shoving match playing basketball, he called me the C-word, I called him the N-word and met at the park afterschool. Beat the crap out of eachother and been best friends ever since... Here we are buying trucks together 30 years later.
    IMG_2982.PNG.jpg

21. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    If he's such a good friend why did you let him buy that GMC?

22. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I tried man... I tried. That truck there he started having problems in less than a year and traded it in for a Denali. :notsure:

23. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Did he call you the C word again when yours had no issues?

24. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    No, we stopped calling eachother names in high school. Most important thing to us is not copying eachother. We won't hear the end of it if one of us copies the other. I buy Adidas, he'll buy Nike. He buys a 49er jacket, I'll buy a Raiders jacket. I'm just glad I bought the Tundra first.

Crewmax Chris and Thegr8punkin like this.
  25. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Sure. If you're the "Dr" that the "nurses" report too.

Thegr8punkin likes this.
  26. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    o_O

"He left to Excel Energy"

27. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Touche.......meany!

28. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    It's that reading comprehension thing like me.

29. Apr 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    You actually read? I just touch the site to my forehead and absorb content. Different dialects really throw me for a loop

Crewmax Chris and T-Rex266 like this.
  30. Apr 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    OK, Neo.

Products Discussed in

To Top