1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clicking coming from trailer brake controller without trailer attached

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by ohonetacoma, May 18, 2022.

1. May 18, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    ohonetacoma

ohonetacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Trying to figure out what is going on with my OEM trailer brake controller on my 2017 Tundra CrewMax SR5 (60k). Last week it started to make a rapid clicking noise and show on the dash that a trailer was connected (when there wasn't).

The clicking doesn't start immediately after starting the truck but usually a few minutes or so into driving. It's often triggered when taking a turn (seems to happen the most on right-hand turns) but could stop after driving straight for a bit. Using the brake stops the clicking noise but as soon as you are off the brake, the clicking comes back. Having a turn signal on also changes the rate of clicking. Clicking doesn't happen when parked.

I occasionally get an error thrown too when driving: "Trailer wiring, type, or connection fault. See owner's manual" but turns off on its own after a few minutes. I've seen another trailer-related error but don't remember what it said at this point.

Feel like I'm going crazy explaining this issue and am planning to take it to my mechanic but wanted to check here first for thoughts/ideas.

2. May 18, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    There is a Microswitch safety locking mechanism, that will click, if that is bad or shorting it will click. I think that is separate from the brake controller system, but worth searching on since both of the systems engage brakes. I mention it because of the clicking.

The OEM controllers had some issues here and there. There were software updates and other fixes, depending on issue. And for some, the OEM controller just didnt work too well so people removed them and added a P3 controller which is excellent and not much $.

There was a TSB on some. There were people with low batt voltage, battery going out. There were people with damaged wiring. The faults are vague, so difference causes can still appear with the same error/faults

Here is a search- brake controller issues on Tundras, which may be helpful for more insight and diagnostics.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tun...HQIuApUQrQIoBHoECAgQBQ&biw=1600&bih=757&dpr=1

3. May 18, 2022 at 11:33 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    I’d ditch the junk OEM brake controller and replace it with a P3 if you do any towing at all. There’s a good chance it could fix your issue, but even if it doesn’t and it’s something else it’s a major upgrade to the feel and jerkyness of the OEM one. I tried to use my OEM one and even did the TSB on it to try and fix it but it didn’t help. The P3 is so much smoother and seamless operating, and looks factory with the dash kit.

4. May 19, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    ohonetacoma

ohonetacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Thanks for the comments. Here's a video of it in action so you don't think I'm crazy.

Products Discussed in

To Top