1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chrome stripped ultra motorsports goliath’s

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by birdman076, May 27, 2019.

1. May 27, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    birdman076

birdman076 [OP] Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    I picked up a set of 18 x 9 ultra motor sports Goliath rims on CL about a month ago for dirt cheap. The chrome was pitted and looked like ass and I just can’t stand chrome anyways so I weighed options of how to have them stripped.

1. Sandblasting - the cheaper of the alternatives and great if you are re-chroming or powder coating (neither of which was my intent).

The surface will be left very rough which again is great for coating or even painting.

Cost: $30.00 per rim

2. Chemical stripping - the more/most expensive option.

However if you plan to go with the natural finish like I did for polishing it’s the only option. There are some ways to cut cost.

Cost: Originally quoted $75.00 per rim. Paid $56.00 per rim cash on day of pickup.

- find a reputable shop and get to know them through dialog, visits, conversations.

- get quoted on bulk jobs (involve friends, family, groups, etc). I’m my case I have multiple sets of rims that need stripping so I got a bulk discount with no determined time limit on bringing the other sets down which worked out real nice from a budget standpoint.

- cash discounts...ask about them.

Notes: rims are coated for a reason which you do not discover until after they are stripped lol. In my case the rims have some pitting. 3 of them were “minor” a spot here or there, some even removed with lots of sanding. 1 rim was particularly “bad” with putting on most of the wheel, again some removed with sanding.

Thoughts: Logically if the model rim in question has a machine finished option or raw aluminum option then chances are the coated rim did not pass a visual QC and was sent to be coated. Nothing nefarious just smart business.

IMG_4437.jpg IMG_4438.jpg IMG_4459.jpg IMG_4463.jpg

4x4_Angel and Pudge like this.
  2. Jun 30, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film

Products Discussed in

To Top