1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light - P2195 and C1241 codes...new battery fixes it?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Double DC, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Jan 27, 2023 at 5:23 PM
    Double DC

Double DC [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    So Gramps ('05 DC) and I were coming back from fishing the other night and the check engine light comes on. I plugged in at Autozone today and got codes P2195 (Powertrain system - Oxygen sensor signal stuck lean) and C1241 (ABS - Low battery positive voltage or abnormally high battery positive voltage). Didn't recall how old my battery was but I did see quite a bit of white powder, corrosion crap on the battery. Not knowing whether install of the oxygen sensor was idiot proof, I held off on buying the sensor but bought a new battery. To my surprise, when I got home and installed the battery, the check engine light was cleared. Time will tell if this was just a battery issue, but thought this information might be useful to somebody at some point.

w666 and NickB_01TRD like this.
  2. Jan 28, 2023 at 8:47 AM
    shifty`

shifty` The Second Shortcoming of Christ

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    If you leave the negative battery cable off for 5-10 minutes it's common for the codes stored in the ECU to clear. I'd only be worried if they return.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  3. Jan 28, 2023 at 11:39 AM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Yeah, the "fix" was short lived. Check engine light came back on after a few miles of driving. Guessing I'm in the market for a sensor. Interested in info on degree of difficulty of replacing the sensor before I head down that path.

4. Jan 28, 2023 at 2:06 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    Same 2 codes ?

Depends....according to what it looks like underneath rust wise. If things are decent under there, the rears are fairly straight forward. You'll know once you see condition.

Since the P2195 is B1S1, meaning front sensor driver side, it gets a little more difficult. The Yota engineer was good on most our 1st Gen designs but had too much Sake when designing front sensors !

The below is driver side rear sensor of someones 1st gen. That is not my definition of decent shape and would require more than just a sensor possibly.

DriverO2.jpg

5. Jan 28, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    FWIW, all kinds of strange stuff happens happens to Toyotas when the voltage gets flakey...check your alternator.

Double DC[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 28, 2023 at 4:43 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    05 uses a threaded in sensor. Denso part number is 234-9051, and is what you get in a red and white box at a higher price if you buy from a dealer. And you will want to use a Denso sensor.

It’s been a while, but I want to say this style of O2 sensor socket and a long handle flex ratchet made it happen. It’s a bit of a tight spot, but not terribly hard if it’s not badly seized in the bung.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Double DC[OP] and shifty` like this.
  7. Jan 28, 2023 at 8:38 PM
    Double DC

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC & 2021 DC
    Thanks for all the info/responses. I won't be able to take a look for a few days, but I'll report back. Hoping it's not the alternator as well, but at 293k miles, I won't be surprised if it's time for a new alternator too.

8. Jan 28, 2023 at 8:42 PM
    shifty`

shifty` The Second Shortcoming of Christ

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    My alternator lasted 16 years, ~66k miles. It wouldn't be unheard of for that to be the issue. There are a number of tests you can do to check it out.

While in there, replace with a green Gates HD serpentine belt. Replacement Denso alternators are relatively cheap! Go ahead and get one of the 130A units, if you don't already have one.

Products Discussed in

To Top