1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing the switch for my heated seats

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by jaredmillerdvm, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Jun 28, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    Wasn’t sure where to post this question so if it needs to be moved my bad. I would like to change the switch for my seat warmers so that when I remote start my truck they will automatically come on. Is it as simple as changing the switch to a rocker switch? I have 3 settings on my current switch if that matters! Here is a picture of my current switch.

1A27574F-4912-4135-851D-E6945CC68B4A.jpg

2. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    So you put in aftermarket heaters?

I know with my old Tacoma I put aftermarket heaters in and all I had to do was leave them on when I turned off the truck. When I remote started it, they'd come back on. Same thing with my 2015 platinum OEM heated and cooled seats. If I leave them on they come on when I start my truck including when I start remotely.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    Yea they are aftermarket. The switch is a push button not a rocker type switch.

4. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    So when you turn the truck off they turn off automatically?

I'm sure you can fix with a new switch. Or some kinda relay.

5. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:46 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yep! When I turn the truck off and restart they do not come back on even though they were on.

6. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm weird. I'd try a new switch first. Would be easiest and quickest solution.

Sting Ray and jaredmillerdvm[OP] like this.
  7. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I had these. Was high and low. I see your switches have 3 setting so idk how that would work out

Screenshot_20180628-224829_Chrome.jpg

SNO BUS and jaredmillerdvm[OP] like this.
  8. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I also worry about the size of the hole cut for original switch..you may need a bigger switch to fill that hole?

Screenshot_20180628-225342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-225324_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-225255_Chrome.jpg

9. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man!!

Pudge likes this.
  10. Aug 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Update: so apparently there is no way to change out the switches. They are connected by a copper colored ribbon looking thing. Frustrating!! Anyone has any other suggestions?

11. Aug 4, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    So there's no actual wires running to the switch? Very odd, if you can take a pic I'd be interested to see what's going on

12. Aug 4, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Nope just that ribbon looking thing.

13. Aug 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    This is not the actual ribbon but similar. A36DF428-1626-4CC7-A38F-61DFC094AEA1.jpg

14. Oct 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys with winter coming up I really need to figure this out if possible. My current heated seats have a push button switch with the above attached ribbon like connection/wiring so a simple change of the switch will not work. What can I do to bypass the system to make my seats turn on when I remote start my truck this winter? I am willing to revert back to the original wiring after winter If i need too. If anyone has any suggestions or possible suggestion I would appreciate them. I will try and figure out how they are powered, which fuse/wire they are tapped into. @NewImprovedRon @TundraTex @Pudge @BlueBottle @Sting Ray please tag any other electrical guys that I may have missed. TIA

15. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Sting Ray

Sting Ray New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax
    Not enough space here...
    What kind of remote start do
    You have? If you have a evo one with my car app it can be done very easily. If not, You could wire in a pac tr7 between the switch and the seat heater, program it to activate say when you press your lock button 3 times or something.

16. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I will look into this. Thanks. Not even sure what remote start was installed by the dealer.

17. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Here is the connection from the wires to the ribbon. 26B69D55-77B9-490F-BE9E-C00D8939E5AB.jpg1F26471D-BE3F-4406-9F97-24D7A23327C6.jpg2B7B1FD4-71A6-4EC6-8D82-31491AE502EC.jpg26B69D55-77B9-490F-BE9E-C00D8939E5AB.jpg

18. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Not sure where to look for remote start Brand?

19. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Sting Ray

Sting Ray New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax
    Not enough space here...
    If it came with the truck then it’s probably OEM.

20. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Sting Ray

Sting Ray New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax
    Not enough space here...
    I would do the same. Different switch, just run wire, instead of the ribbon.

21. Oct 12, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    They had it installed with a local dealer. How would I go about finding a plug that would fit with the current plug?

22. Oct 12, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I actually just did this. The seat shop said there is no way to change this short of changing out the entire system. It has a computer on it that prevents the seats from turning on when started due to fire hazard. So looks like I’m shit out of luck. Unless they are just telling me that to cover their asses. I have a Avital remote start by DEI.

23. Oct 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    Sting Ray

Sting Ray New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Crewmax
    Not enough space here...
    Cut the wires, splice on new wires, tie those new wires into a new switch..done....

24. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I would be willing to try this but the dude said there is a computer that will throw an error if I change the switch and wiring and not remove the computer. You believe this? Also they have 4 wires, how do I know where to attach each wire to the new switch? I assume I would need a switch that had a high medium and low plus a ground?@Sting Ray @NewImprovedRon

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  25. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    No worries man I don't expect a solution just you guys have much more knowledge with this sort of thing. I do not want to keep the ribbon cable, I was wondering if cutting the 4 wires in the picture below and running 4 new wires to a different switch(rocker vs the push button I have) how would I go about figuring out which wire goes where on the new rocker switch? I would do away with the ribbon cable all together. I appreciate the responses by both of you regardless if they solve my problem or not. Thanks![​IMG]

26. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    You don't really need a new switch to do this. You should be able to just tap into the wires that activate the switch. Problem is you need someone to figure that out for you. Not something someone on the interweb can help you with. Im assuming 2 wires on that switch is for constant power and the wire 3 is for low heat and wire 4 is for high heat. Wire 3 or 4 can be sending voltage back or ground back into the controller to activate the heated seats. You need someone that is local that is either an expert alarm guy or an electrical engineer. A lot of testing will have to be done to figure out how it is wired up but it is possible to do what you want with just wiring and an output module from your remote start. That output module would short the wires needed to simulate the button being pressed. This probably sounds like a different language to you, and if does, you should go to a professional to perform this. The average alarm shop tech will not be able to do this, has to be someone with advanced or electrical engineering background. Good luck, if theres a will, theres a way.

27. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    you are correct I would need help figuring this out. My switch has a high med and low setting, so not sure 3 and 4 wires are for low and high heat but again you may be right. I am assuming 3 of the 4 wires are for high med and low heat and the 4th is for ground but what do i know. thanks for responding @BlueBottle

28. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    no i don't believe they are back-lit when the truck is on, the only light that comes on is when i hit the button to turn them on. 3, 2 or 1 light will display whether i have them on high med or low setting respectively. I will double check tomorrow if they are back-lit. thanks

29. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I didn't read you had 3 settings, so what it could be is, 2 wires are for ground and power, the other 2 wires are just to switch between modes. So if you press it the button does it cycle through low-med-high-low-med-high etc? If thats the case then what I said is true and you just have to figure out which one is power, ground and your closure signal to switch modes. if 3 & 4 are in fact to switch modes, wiring up the output from a remote start in parallel with those wires should activate button presses. I wouldn't just start tapping into wires, if it was me, I would test each wire with a Multi Meter.

30. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    So with each push of the button it will go from: push one high, push two med, push three low, push four being off. I would be ok just figuring out which one activates the high med or low to have the seats just come on when remote starting the truck. I don't care which level comes on since I would be able to adjust it when I got in the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top