1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ceramic coating......yes or no?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by AircareTundra, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    AircareTundra

AircareTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    I am on the fence about getting the ceramic coating done from a shop near by. I have heard through the grapevine that a 5 yr coating is approx 1200 or so......and that a 6 month coating is 250 or so. I see hand held sprayers of stuff that claims to be ceramic coating in local auto parts stores but have heard that these are a waste of money and that if I am to do it.......pay the money and do it at the detailing shop.

Just curious if any of y'all have had it done. Thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

2. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I paid for mine, about $900 for a 5 year+ warranty. There are some who have installed themselves but not all ceramics are the same. I think it is worth it because I don't have the time to wash and wax my truck as often as it would need it. No regrets.

AircareTundra[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    Highsierraguy

Highsierraguy New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    So you literally don't have to worry about waxing your truck for 5 years? I'm not understanding how it can last this long. How does it not get eaten away by bird poop, regular washing, etc.?

4. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Make sure you use the right cleaners when washing - no dishwasher liquid for example. There are threads on here that talk about all kinds of good ways to wash your truck. You CAN wax it but the wax won't really be doing anything. I do have a hydrophobic spray that I am to use every 4-6 months to help keep water beading and sheeting. There is a lot of info on the web but you have to be careful what to trust. Find a local ceramic installer (or a couple of them) and have them educate you. That's what I did and it answered a LOT of questions.

5. Oct 13, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I have never heard of a 6 month ceramic coating. $1200 seems very high. Have heard of folks paying just half of that.
    Too many reasons for me not pursue; besides cost there are too many suspect detailers and products out there.

Rocko9999 and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  6. Oct 13, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    Tundradrenalin

Tundradrenalin New Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Black TRD nonPRO
    Methods, Toyos, Kings, TCs, CBs
    You're paying for prep work and detailed labor. The ceramic itself is not 1200.

I properly done ceramic will feel amazing for years. It's insane the paint can feel like glass for months on end without even washing the truck. Imagine the paint feeling like you just clay barred it every time you drag your finger across it.

War Machine likes this.
  7. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:43 AM
    mkeegan27

mkeegan27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2018 platinum crewmax
    graphene coating is the next wave of hard long lasting coatings.....but like people have stated, get it done by a professional who knows what they are doing. The prep work before the coating will make a world of difference.

8. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    One other thing, if bugs are a big problem in your area (they are really bad here on the Gulf Coast), a quality ceramic coating will absolutely save your front paint and chrome. The bugs are amazingly easy to clean off my front, even if it is a few days before I can clean them off. On my old truck with no ceramic, the bugs pitted and marred the chrome and paint on the front pretty quickly.

Ceramic does NOT protect against rocks. It may reduce the amount of damage, but there will still be damage.

9. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    So I'll go ahead and throw in what I've gathered about ceramic and some other stuff. Be careful of people that offer a ceramic coating for a couple hundred bucks. Usually not putting the prep time in and properly clay barring, polishing, etc your paint. Once a real ceramic coating is done, it's going to seal in any perfections or imperfections within the paint for usually at least a year depending on conditions. There are "spray ceramics", but they're mostly sealants with SIO2(silica) which is in ceramics, but it's not a true ceramic coating. I've used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax and it does help protect, has very good hydrophobic properties, and makes cleaning easier....but it's still not a "coating".
    I have not done a ceramic coating because I personally enjoy washing/waxing my vehicles. If you don't have time...I'd suggest getting someone to do it for you.
    I'm gonna make a few assumptions and if I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm also not trying to judge or be offensive, so if that happens, I apologize. Your profile pic shows a black vehicle. Very difficult color to take care of! Like most of the people within the detailing life say, "Black isn't a color, it's a lifestyle". It shows that you just joined in May of 2020, so I'm going with you owning a 2020 (maybe even 2019). This would mean it doesn't have as much issues with the paint/clear coat, but it would still need a little bit of prep work done before someone slaps on a coating. You also have the symbol in showing you're in the medical field, giving me the impression that you most likely are and most likely very busy. A true coating would probably last about 2-4 years depending on brand, upkeep, conditions, etc. The coating will make it much easier to clean and will preserve that beautiful black. It will still get dirty, but it will help alot with UV damage, environmental damage, upkeep, etc.
    Personally, I feel like "graphene coatings" are kinda like the new buzz word, but still a little leary of them being better for the price increase.
    Use the search bar and dig around the detailing threads. Lots of people have used lots of different methods/products/people and have feedback they're willing to share.
    https://www.tundras.com/forums/detailing.66/

10. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I had the Xpel Fusion installed a week after I bought my truck. I was very skeptical at first but I figured for 800 bucks...why not. The stuff is awesome and is worth that price tag. I recently ran through some tar and it got all over the truck. Once it dried, I was able to wipe it off. Nothing really sticks to it and it’s amazing that it’s still glass like after 6 months.

BMET likes this.
  11. Oct 13, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Great post! I had mine done within a week after purchase, so the detailing part was much easier. I'm not sure if I would do ceramic coating on a vehicle that already had marred paint.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  12. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    First off thanks Andy you nailed it. If you are serious about having the vehicle coated properly you need to do a little homework. I would find a detail shop that is certified by the manufacturer with the products they are using.Make sure those products are reliable and truthful. I would be looking for a ceramic pro or CarPro certified shop which you can find via the manufacturers web page. Also no matter the coating they take specific products to maintain them. You can’t just not wash the truck anymore. It add protection but it’s not bullet proof. Do not go with any product or shop that tells you otherwise or give outrageous claims that it will prevent chips or scratches. Don’t walk away run!! If your looking for a solution to rocks and such do ppf on the truck then coat the whole thing.

bottom line: qualifying your shop is the biggest factor. Ask them what product the use and how they do the curing process.

13. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    I'm old fashioned....wax and wash for me.

I actually enjoy the process and lets me inspect the vehicle more than I normally would.

14. Oct 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    ToyoMafia likes this.
  15. Oct 13, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    cp44

cp44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra TRD Pro
    I've had my cars ceramic coated before and I would recommend it. The main cost is the amount of labor that goes into the prep, paint correction, wash then the ceramic coating. Depending on where you live, you would have to do maintenance washes on a monthly or every other month to keep up the coats. I do plan to have my truck done before the winter.

Saltyhero13 and ToyoMafia like this.
  16. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Speaking of 'nailed it....^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fotnot and ToyoMafia[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    :cheers:

18. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    yes for me!

i have 3 vehicles coated with ceramicpro; 2 of them (tundra and rc f) also have xpel ppf which is another cool thing.

yeah, be leery of low cost jobs. if you go for it, def do paint correction (polishing) as part of the service to get rid of imperfections and swirls. but you can't just coat and be done. the length it lasts and maintenance is key. some good advice given already. if you can't dedicate the time to hand wash yourself with something like the two bucket system, top down, microfiber mits, leaf blower to dry, etc. i'd consider taking it to a professional detailer for washes. de-ionized or soft water is always good, ceramic coated or not, to prevent hard water spots.

here's my ageless 12yr old cm that's no pavement princess and has xpel ppf on full front and rear quarter panels to prevent rock chips, pinstripes and fender flare damage. everything else is three layers ceramicpro with 10yr warranty. wheels are also coated. have to do my part to maintain it though as described above. good luck.

IMG_0010.jpg

most of the dirt was gone except for a light layer after driving home on the freeway for several hours. before ceramic it would still look like this when i got home.

IMG_0277.jpg

the rear quarterpanels have xpel but look at how the wheels clean up with just pressure washer, no soap yet. those are 10yr old wheels.

https://youtu.be/x8PIhsz7PPc

19. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    That video is so satisfying! :bowdown:

20. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    The Dude

The Dude New Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ, not anymore :(
    That looks freaking amazing! I did ceramic coat on one of my cars myself, but the results are nowhere near that

sensei[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Oct 13, 2020 at 9:28 PM
    namvet6970

namvet6970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Best bet go to YouTube.com and watch some comparison videos. There are some good ones on there. I went with a ceramic coat called
    CarPro Cquartz 50ml Kit - Ceramic Coating Finish
    It is easy to do but it takes time if you follow the instructions. I did to two years ago, almost three and it still looks good. I have not done anything but washes. It still beads up and looks great, I do garage it at night. It is worth it to me but I watched a dealer do some to a car, I think they hire a lot boy/detailer. Don't trust them, use a professional if you have one. BTW, one 50ml kit did my whole crewmax.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  22. Oct 14, 2020 at 2:16 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    That is not a pro coating btw.

23. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:40 AM
    namvet6970

namvet6970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Why not? I directly copied that tote of the kit off the internet. All the sites call it the same https://carpro.globa/. I’m not trying to argue the point just showing you what it says and what I bought. So I’m confused I guess

ToyoMafia likes this.
  24. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    No argument from me. I have cquartz on my truck and have used it on a bunch of vehicles. It is their consumer level coating not the pro one. They make a pro level coating which can only be had by a authorized applicator. I highly recommend CarPro products. I think the OP is looking for a solution that a professional will do.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  25. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Post some pics on a clean day love to see the ride.

26. Oct 14, 2020 at 4:55 AM
    namvet6970

namvet6970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’m very happy you did not think I was upset. That’s why I don’t usually say much as it’s to easy to take offense. So you mean I can’t get the pro unless I am la professional detailer or business? Ok is it a big difference in makeup?

Saltyhero13 and ToyoMafia like this.
  27. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    namvet6970

namvet6970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    83BE4210-28A6-4061-B59C-5660C19A8E5E.jpg

I wanted to tell you guys just FYI, I installed AMP Research electric running boards. I installed them myself and the instructions were great and an easy project. I love them, they are noisy when deploying and returning to up position but I got used to it and don't notice it now. I love them, why? Because I am a right leg amputee and it makes it so easy as they drop lower than fixed boards. $1399.00 very pricey but thumbs up.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    NoRcptn, Bigboitundra, jewild and 6 others like this.
  28. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    namvet6970

namvet6970 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is taken before I got 9800 bucks in hail damage this August

27C44ED1-9C83-4024-A3CD-EAC0EC54BCD6.jpg

29. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:07 AM
    tundrasportinMA

tundrasportinMA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Sport DC
    6112/5160 , SCS Ray 10's, Cooper Discover AT3 -295/70/18, Dirty Deeds 8inch, N-Fab Podium
    I am curious if the ceramic coating is worth it if I usually go to a car wash for my truck. It sounds like most of you wash it yourself, which is doable for me in the summer months, but in the winter when I just want to get the crud off, I run it through the car wash.

30. Oct 14, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Here’s my take, as someone who loves detailing, and has had a ceramic coating put on. This is just my experience and opinion. Others will disagree.

Overall a ceramic coating is effective, but not a magical, end all, “set it and forget it” solution. Will it last years? Yes, but with stipulations. You still have to maintain it. Most ceramic brands advertise a long life / warranty if you take care of it per instructions. They all have additional products you’re supposed to use regularly to keep the coating from degrading.

I’ll use CarPro as an example as that’s what I have experience with. CQuartz is a highly rated ceramic coating, and one of the most popular. Here are their instructions for maintenance: https://carpro.global/tips/coatings-aftercare/

As you can see, they’re pretty specific on what products to use, how often, etc. Generally no big deal as their soap and paint decon products are what I use anyway. Here’s where my issue begins with ceramic coatings:
    They expect you to apply Reload regularly. Great product on its own, and I highly recommend it. The thing is, Carpro, and other manufacturers want you to apply additional sealants to protect the ceramic coating. In my opinion, it’s not really the ceramic that’s providing the protection here. It’s Reload.

Sure, the combination works great, and will last a long time, but why not save the money and just use Reload? Why bother with the labor and expense for a product that has to be protected by something else? If you have to use Reload to maintain the ceramic, it seems to be just as effective to just use Reload.

I had CQuartz put on right almost 2 years ago. It did perform well, but no better than Reload or other sealants on their own. I’ve stated before that Griots 3-in-1 gave me more of what I expected from a ceramic than my actual ceramic did.
    You have to reapply it every four months or so, but you’re supposed to do that with a ceramic topper anyway. A 16oz bottle of Reload runs 40 bucks. A 22oz bottle of Griots is 20 bucks, and you can do a Tundra at least three times with one bottle. (A bottle of Reload will likely go just as far though. Expense is the only difference there.)

I’m getting long winded here, just trying to thoroughly explain my mindset. Yes, a ceramic coating is a great product, I just think the same result can be accomplished cheaper and easier.

Like others have said though, the majority of the expense is the paint correction and paint prep. That’s the hardest part. Even then, you can get your paint corrected a lot cheaper than $1200.00. You should easily find someone to do it for 500 or less. Then by using a really good sealant, you’ll end up saving several hundred dollars. (Especially considering you have to buy and use those sealants anyway.)

I don’t mean to shit on coatings. They do what they say they do as long as you do your part. I just don’t see the value. The claims that you don’t have to wash as often, that it protects against rock chips, etc are false. Your black truck is still going to get scratches and swirls no matter how careful you are.

All in all, the only thing I see as a better, more permanent option than good sealants is PPF, but the cost of that is much higher than a ceramic.

Sorry for the wall of text. I’m not great at being concise, especially in the morning.

Runway, Istvank11, Ckatz53 and 12 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top