1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Center Console Pistol Mod

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by RowdyRon, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:17 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon [OP] Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I recently received my Concealed Handgun Carry License and wanted a semi-permanent mounting in my center console for my Springfield XDS 9mm. I took a length of old rifle sling, cut it to accommodate the inside-waist-band holster I have (Bianchi), and used 1/4" x 3/16" aluminum pop rivets (4) to attach the piece of leather sling to the inside of the console. Since I have a Salex console organizer that I also wanted to continue using, I had to modify the organizer by cutting a piece off of it to accommodate the rig. I was careful in cutting the organizer so that I kept the support length, that is notched, intact. Overall, I am happy with the results. I can remove the holster whenever I want by unclipping it from the leather strap that I riveted to the inside of the console. Attached are the pictures of the install:

Pop riveted the strap inside the console after carefully measuring where I wanted the holster:
    IMG_3068.jpg

Cut off the piece of my organizer that had to go. You can see the place where I cut one of the "legs" off in the center of the holster:
    IMG_3070.jpg

Placed my handgun in the holster:
    IMG_3072.jpg

And loaded everything back up in the organizer. Still have room left over!:
    IMG_3074.jpg

Overall, a fairly easy mod. Just have to make sure that you measure everything carefully before cutting and riveting. I do plan to go back and paint the heads of the rivets black to match the interior of the console.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    khunk, George14, Wvmoonshiner and 7 others like this.
  2. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  3. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Thanks, Brian!

4. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    Seanson

Seanson New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD Reg Cab Short Box
    Are those ''CDs'' ????

sdhq_offroad likes this.
  5. Jul 7, 2016 at 9:05 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Geeeeez; yes, they are CD's LOL! They would be 8 tracks if they still made them and the players. Does that date me a little?

Law323 likes this.
  6. Jul 7, 2016 at 9:22 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Nice work. No picking on CDs! I think the next time I post a pic, I'm gonna throw in a case of condoms or something somewhere in the pic just to keep the conversation interesting.

I was riding in a buddies truck years ago and opened the glovebox to get something. I pulled out a dozen tickets and some NTAs. I just kept pulling them out. We had a good laugh over it.

7. Jul 7, 2016 at 9:30 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    No worries; its all good!

8. Jul 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Nice job Ron! Makes me wish I had the big center console instead of the 3rd seat up front.

9. Jul 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I'm a boob guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    Very nice work Ron. Very clean install. How is that XDS? This past weekend I put 100 rds downrange with a XDM .40. I sure like that trigger pull on that weapon. May have to drop down to a 3.5-4.5lb trigger on my 19. Was very impressed with the XDm series pistols. Was not as impressed with the reset, but the trigger pull was more than worth that.

Here is something to think about Ron when mounting a weapon inside a closed center console. In the unfortunate event you needed the weapon quickly, that will add probably 1.8-2.2 seconds to the draw time and a hand reposition change on the weapon since the mount is flush with the inside of console (hand will most likely not fit properly on first grab) You should test out your reaction time with it unloaded from: threat/center console/striker fire vs. threat/console by cup holders/striker fire. Then imagine a threat you do not know coming and have to react. More time.

Then again, not sure if you plan on leaving the pistol inside the truck unattended and not secure either, which I would strongly recommend against. I now have 3 people that I know that no longer have one of their firearms due to being stollen from inside the vehicle. One was a "truck gun" that was inside a locked truck inside a locked garage. Then again, when I get out of my vehicles, my weapon goes back in the holster on my person.

Not really familiar with the 3rd gen interior, but does it have a "Glock" holder like the second gens?

Here is what was done in my truck for quick access and a spare magazine holder to boot.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    And when the pistol is not inside the vehicle....barely noticeable. However, I don't mind if someone is looking inside my truck and notices an empty holster. Makes them think about were the pistol is and the good possibility it is in my hand. Years ago I started leaving a few shotgun shells, pistol/riffle castings in the bed of my truck. I have not had a tie down strap stollen from the back of my truck since 2001.
    image.jpg

And what the hell is wrong with compact disks? Lol

rons23, Law323, omaguz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jul 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Nope. 3rd gen does not have that holster. Check out my build pix for 3rd gen holster for the center console.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  11. Jul 7, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    Well that sucks. Any other options other than inside the console?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I have only breifly sat in a 3rd gen in 14'.

12. Jul 7, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Mike. Yeah, the console is pretty huge.

13. Jul 7, 2016 at 3:15 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Hey, Chris and thanks for the feedback. Sean already provided the answer for the "Glock" holder. I couldn't think of a better alternative for providing a good mounting point in my truck. I also had read where Velcro and double-sided tape didn't work very well and would let go. You bring up valid points about the time needed to open the console lid and access the weapon. I'll need to practice to make sure I am comfortable with it. Regarding the XDS, I like the pistol a lot. I have been practicing with it and my groupings are starting to close well. I like it almost as much as my Walther PPQ M2 which I think has a little bit better trigger pull and reset. I liked your comment about leaving a few shells/casings in the bed of your truck LOL!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  14. Jul 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    Springfield makes some very nice combat ready weapons. I have purchased 4 XD pistols. If I see a deal on an XDm....it will be mine. Lol

The more practice you do with drawing the weapon from the console, the better it will be. Hell, better to have one with you than not at all. That is the main reason I sold my 1911s due to weight and not carrying them. I would say that having the pistol in the console is better than an appendix or 4o'clock IWB holster with a set belt on for quickness.

Looks like you make very good educated decisions.

Tundra...check
    Springfield weapon...check check
    CCW....priceless

zcarpenter92 and RowdyRon like this.
  15. Jul 7, 2016 at 3:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    Oh, to add that Velcro or two sided tape is a really bad idea unless it is a inside of a safe mount.

I pop rivited my mount on as well. This makes it secure.

In my jeep, the holster will have to retain the pistol better than what I have in my Tundra due to the chances of rollover greatly increases in that toy. I can only assume that getting knocked up side the head with ones own pistol would suck. I have experience a 60 lb dog falling on me after a flop. That sucked ass. Dogs no longer ride with me when off-roading.

16. Jul 7, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Not really. Under the dash, but that's not my thing for multiple reasons.

Or setup a gun vault inside the center console.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  17. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas, Coronas and 'Merica

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Eastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand 2008 Tundra TRD
    In sig
    Thats exactly the reason mine are only in my pickup when I'm in it. When I'm in my Tundra I generally stick my 1911 in a soft holster between my seat and the center console for a quick draw. I also went a different route with my CCPM, I just bought an IWB tuckable holster and clip it on the organizer.

Back to the subject of the thread, nice work Ron!

RowdyRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  18. Jul 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Very clean work guys

RowdyRon likes this.
  19. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    Nice mod brother!! Looks professionally done! I'll probably get this done when I get another tundra with a floor shifter!

RowdyRon likes this.
  20. Jul 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Law!

Law323 likes this.
  21. Jul 9, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    rons23

rons23 Next Round is on me! Live OBX

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Nice work guys, Ron, hows that Xds 9mm working out. Read some great reviews on it.

22. Jul 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    So I was just looking at the interiors of the 3rd gen trucks. There is really no obvious place for a pistol mount.

I could see Mike and his 3D printer making some money on custom mounts....

23. Jul 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Hey, Ron! I really like the XDS! Smaller profile than my Walther PPQ, trigger is almost as nice, and haven't had fail to eat anything I've loaded it with. I definitely can recommend it.

zcarpenter92 and rons23 like this.
  24. Jul 10, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    You never know what Mike is going to come up with!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  25. Jul 10, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    That is a fact. Glad to see you actually using your second amendment rights. In these times it is required.

FumundaTundra and RowdyRon like this.
  26. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    FumundaTundra

FumundaTundra Director of civil unrest

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Central WA.
    Vehicle:
    2009 5.7 Tundra Double cab
    Many to come.
    Good stuff but why not just wear it? Lol!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    too tall likes this.
  27. Jul 10, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    Blueknight3111

Blueknight3111 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blue Tundra Crew Max
    Just installed the bed rails for the Undercover top I will be purchasing this coming week. Looking to purchase the floor mats. Back up camera. Next well I see what comes up next.
    Ron,Awesome job and Chris awesome job also. I like all guns, but for the last 10years I've been leaning to Glocks. I just joined today and look forward to getting into the site

RowdyRon, ColoradoTJ and zcarpenter92 like this.
  28. Jul 10, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas, Coronas and 'Merica

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Eastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand 2008 Tundra TRD
    In sig
    Love my XDS as well. It's small enough even for shorts carry, just have to use my tuckable holster.

An IWB gets kind of uncomfortable when you're driving!

RowdyRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  29. Jul 10, 2016 at 11:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    I recently went back to Glocks myself after shooting a Gen 4 19. This month I was given the opportunity to rattle off several magazines of .40 cal in an XDm. Oh, that is one nice weapon.

30. Jul 11, 2016 at 3:43 AM
    Noodle

Noodle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
    I tried this mod and it didn't work for me. I had to end up putting mine in the storage under the rear seat.

To Top