1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catch cans

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by swank501, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jan 8, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    swank501

swank501 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 single cab 4x4
    TRD S/C Crewmax window conversion Auburn LSD Custom interior
    After Popping off my supercharger with 120,000 miles, I realize that yeah there’s probably a small amount of oil getting in here but nothing to be concerned about. My valves were super clean. I know that they offer multiple different catch cans, but I was wondering if they’re actually even necessary? Anyone running cans?

So I had a thought about this, and feel fully free to blast me on this. Why can’t we just abandon all that plumbing and tie back to the intake and just put breather vent on the PCV valve? I know there is some type of switching valve and some electronics connected to it, but I would imagine that could be possibly tuned out. I don’t know, just thinking out loud in my head what do you guys think?

2. Jan 8, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I picked up the radium engineering dual catch can setup , but have yet to install it. Hoping to get the Magnuson installed here very soon and then will add the radium kit after. I believe the pcv catch can is a good idea, especially for supercharged engines. The crankcase catch can is a bit overkill. I'm doing both....go big or go home.

Edit: here's the link. http://www.radiumauto.com/Tundra-Catch-Can-Kit-2007-P933.aspx

3. Jan 10, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    I have the radium pcv only catch can. I’m N/A and it does definitely collect oil. I’m at 9000 miles since I’ve installed it. Who knows it it’s actually worth it but I’m glad I did. I figure any oil I catch is good and I plan on having the truck a long time. I will try and get an amount it’s caught soon. Easy install just one nut on the bracket is really difficult. Put tape on my finger to hold the nut.

87C9A11A-D9B5-493D-8960-F216F0F59C1B.jpg

AZTundra and Rex Kramer like this.
  4. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    vhstejskal

vhstejskal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver SR5 Crewmax
    Would be interested to know if anyone running a catch can has had any issues with freezing lines in cold weather. Would think especially on a forced induction setup it would be something to watch out for.

5. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I had the RXP catch can on my 2017 Tundra. It did catch some small amounts of oil. I figured it was another safety measure to potential extend and protect my SC motor. I did drive the truck to CO and had it in below freezing temps several times with no issues on freezing lines. 5B5FE399-F709-414E-83B0-49F7FB819C6B.jpg

Nestor, AZTundra and vhstejskal like this.
  6. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    7.62Tundra

7.62Tundra Chromeaphilliac

Member:
    SA Texis
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7 Crewcab
    Man I'm jealous. Those SCs just look so bad ass. Wish I had $10K just burning a hole in my pocket.

D4x4TRD and Rex Kramer like this.
  7. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Is that the Figs Engineering coolant reservoir I see as well or another brand? I wanted to add that as well to replace the plastic tank from Magnuson. The Figs tank is pricey - was it worth it? If you used another brand do you recall which it was? Thanks in advance.

8. Jan 10, 2020 at 5:55 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I’m not sure what brand it was. I purchased my SC from another tundra owner used. I know it was an aftermarket option. He said it was expensive. I can’t say if it made any real difference.

AZTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I've heard the plastic tanks were prone to leaking, but I have no first hand experience. I wanted to go with a solid setup from the start which is why I was looking into it. Your tank looks like the Figs one with maybe a difference cap?

[​IMG]

1UPPER[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 10, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I have heard the plastic cans can be prone to cracking but I’ve never seen that first hand. I don’t see any branding on the top cap.
    A8CCEC4C-C5F9-4F00-9DD6-A056059F824D.jpg

TX210Tundra and AZTundra[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jan 11, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    I run a moroso on my sc set up. Catches some oil, some condensation/water. Depends on the time of the year how much. No issue with frozen lines in nw Ohio. Moroso was alot more cost effective then some of the other options.

AZTundra likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Front sway bar, TRD Rear sway bar, TRD red and blue shocks, 2018 LED headlights and fogs, TRD intake box lid, TRD air flow accelerator, AFE Super Stock Intake with dry filter, TRD radiator and oil cap, Radium PCV Oil catch can, StopTech SS brake lines, LED puddle lights, VLED interior lights, OEM metal oil filter housing, Fumoto oil drain valve, LED front turn signals, TRD Battery tie down.
    I just did my first oil change since I added the radium catch can. It has been 10k miles since installed. And I was not expecting this but it was full! I believe it holds 4 oz. Any ideas why this is? Is this normal?

ECF8B143-A9E6-4B67-BEE0-A382020D49F4.jpg
    9D0C7693-92FF-4875-8A0A-A3C37057E7A8.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    FrenchToasty likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    Here’s a picture of the the can after the oil was poured out.
    1F6A3860-1254-47C4-A2EB-FDD0DC5DC701.jpg

AZTundra and vhstejskal like this.
  14. Jan 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    I think CC s create anxiety disorders....I’m sticking with naked.

Darkness likes this.
  15. Jan 24, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    vhstejskal

vhstejskal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver SR5 Crewmax
    I think @4Runner has a point. A catch can on an NA motor catches what you normally don’t see. I think on forced induction they serve a greater purpose.

If you breakdown the oil level; did you notice you were lower on the dipstick when you changed your oil? That amount seems low for the amount of miles 10K. Maybe others can chime in on the PCV valve; I added a thread I found when i first came upon this thread to research the PCV setup on the 5.7. Honestly unless you’re loosing oil between changes what you have I would think is fine.

https://www.tundratalk.net/threads/5-7l-pcv-valve-remove-intake-manifold-or-not.694650/

16. Jan 24, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    The 5.7 is port injected, your valves are clean because they're being sprayed with gas and cleaning anything off the backside of the valve. This is why catch cans are (arguably) more for direct injection.

Idk yet if I'll get a catch can, truck is boosted and has 225k on it and is happy. In some ways I have this mental picture that oil getting into the blower helps keep the blades lubricated and sealing more like a 2 stroke, but probably as much chance of that happening as the catch can preventing anything bad.

jtwags, AZTundra and vhstejskal like this.
  17. Jan 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    Rustyscrew

Rustyscrew New Member

Member:
    Rockledge,Fl
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Platinum
    You could be right. I didn’t notice the oil level being too low or anything like that. Maybe it is just normal amount to be caught.

18. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  19. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    How do you guys feel about the moroso kit for the tundra?

20. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Zebruaj

Zebruaj New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    08 CM SR5
    I ran one on my 4runner for a couple months. It caught mostly condensation due to my short drives and cold MN winter. Took it back off because I didn't want to stress about forgetting to check and empty it before it overflowed (the family drove it around besides me but only I maintained it).

21. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Doxiedad

Doxiedad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road Cavalry Blue
    Catch cans for port injected motors aren’t so important. Your gas has detergents in it designed to wash the oil off the intake valves.

Engines with direct injection only with no port injection ( Chevy Silverado) don’t have any fuel washing over the intake valves to clean them. One of many reasons I didn’t get a Silverado.

Ford and Toyota (the D4-S engines) have both direct injection and port injection. This lets you take advantage of direct injection when it’s best based on load and port injection for when it’s best based on loads and also cleans the intake valves.

TRD15559 likes this.
  22. Feb 5, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
  23. Feb 5, 2020 at 11:01 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    AR Headers DirtyDeeds Exhaust UpTop Racks Rock Warrior wheels
    Man this thread opened up my mind and my wallet.

I'm still waiting on Magnuson to finish programming the 2019-2020 SC but I do like the idea of the Radium dual catch can kit. Amazon has the kit for $386 right now.

The discussion about the Figs coolant reservoir got me looking at reservoirs. Which then led me to the topic of a slight upgrading to the intercooler pump which then led me to two more searches; upgrading the intercooler and the possibility/benefit of a Meziere 20GPM pump (which I just so happen to have sitting in my garage).

AZTundra likes this.
  24. Feb 6, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All good items! I picked up the Radium dual kit for $380.08 off Amazon. I just ordered the Figs Coolant Reservoir as well last Friday. Don't get me thinking about anything else, these extra expenses add up quickly. FYI - add about $30 onto the Figs Tank for shipping costs (not sure why it's so high).

I'm pumped - Heading up to the shop tomorrow to drop the deposit on the Magnuson. I was told they would need to order it and to expect about 10 days, then I can schedule my install appt. Hoping the Figs tank will arrive in time and I plan to have them throw the Radium kit and the Figs tank on at the same time. Also having my shims/shackles installed while the truck is there and just ordered some Cooper AT3 XLT tires in 295/70/18 to go on right after. I hope I can keep my modding to a minimum for a while after this.

25. Feb 6, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Catch cans don't just catch oil, they catch moisture/vapor too and in the right weather they accumulate condensation.

I ran a catch can on my GTI, I'm on the boost all day in that car and in the Summer it hardly "caught" anything. In the Winter if accumulated a bit more. I wouldnt bother putting one on my truck. The way I see it is a little bit of oil at a time doesn't matter, whatever you see in the can is after a lot of drive time. Behind the throttle body in my truck isn't oily at all, after 17 years.

I get the same feeling when I recycle my beer cans twice a year. I don't drink daily anymore and when I do drink its rarely more than 3 a per session. However when I look at that full trash can ir two of beer cans on the scale I feel like I still have a drinking problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top