1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAT Scale, WDH & my math skills

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Retired...finally, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:17 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally [OP] Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    My WDH manual states that when properly installed the WDH transfers weight to the TT and TV. This statement has me pondering my proposed weighing procedures.
    Since I'll leave here loaded up on a Sunday my total weight will be done on a CAT scale 30 miles away. Prior to that the Tundra, which by the way will look like it's prepared for a Beverly Hillbillies movie remake, will be weighed at the local sand and gravel pit. Just as it will be before connecting the trailer. Lets just say the truck weight is 6700. Now all hitched up and the tank topped off again the CAT scale sez the total of both truck axles = 7200# and the TT weight is 4500. Does all this mean to trailer total, tongue and axles comes in at 5000# but my magical 10% number has been transferred to the hitch?
    I can understand how the WDH transfers weight from the trucks rear axle to the front axle but just not wrapping my head around any transfer of tongue weight to the TT if the WDH is properly set up and the trailer remains level.
    Thoughts?

2. Sep 15, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    bflooks

bflooks New Member

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra Limited
    Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) Genuine Cooling Systems Setrab kit Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 12" Stainless
    Tongue weight is without distribution.

You need 3 measurements to start with.

Truck/trailer distributed
    Truck/trailer not distributed
    Truck

That middle weigh will give you your tongue weight.

For the 30 miles, assuming you adjusted your hitch with a tape measure and have good #s, I'd drive it and do the fine tuning at the CAT scale.

jordoncloutier likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally [OP] Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    avssuc likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top