1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat cages - theft deterrent option

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by NomadicFrog, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Sep 28, 2021 at 11:19 AM
    NomadicFrog

NomadicFrog [OP] Took 5 yrs, finally got rid of "New Member" here

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra SR5 4x4 TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    First mod: Gaffer tape over door lock/unlock beeper
    mark_dawson_02_after.jpg

This is about a first gen, but might be useful for others, too. I know the newer Tundras have more choices, from skid plates and such, but this seems like a good and relatively cheap option.

A while ago somebody tried to steal my catalytic converters. They cut one pipe, but it seems they got scared off before they could finish the job. It cost me $30 to weld the cut, another $25 for Ubers to/from the muffler shop, and several hours of time lost. Annoying, but could have been worse.

IMG_E6812_small.jpg

IMG_E6817_small.jpg

While at the shop – along with three other Tundras in for cat theft (!) – the owner mentioned they offer a deterrent solution. The price he quoted me was a lot cheaper than any skid plate solution I could find for 1st gens – I actually can't remember finding any that covered the catalytic converters. (When I picked it up he said it was more work than they expected, for my older Tundra, and he'd charge the next guy a little bit more.) :)

I've had these cages for a couple of road trips now, and in general things seem to be fine. I get some vibration noise on washboard, which I imagine a couple of quick welds would fix. Otherwise it seems good. The guy who installed mine mentioned he worked to make sure I didn't lose ground clearance, too.

The metal is thick enough that I feel thieves would move on rather than cut it out enough to steal the cats. The holes obviously provide plenty of ventilation so that heat doesn't build up. The design is such that if I need to do work on the cats, the cages are not too hard to remove under normal (i.e., not 1-2 minute theft) conditions.

If you're in the Phoenix area and interested: Scottsdale Muffler, counterintuitively not in Scottsdale:

1879 E 3rd St
    Tempe AZ 85281

Very pleasant and professional folks!

Before:

mark_dawson_01_before.jpg

After:

mark_dawson_02_after.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    WVI, BUGEATER, cowboyjack and 10 others like this.
  2. Sep 29, 2021 at 10:17 PM
    tunyota

tunyota Wrenching w/ the beautiful wife.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Phantom Gray 2006 Regular Cab Long Bed 4WD V8 4.7L
    Front Hitch Receiver, Bilstein 5100s, Denso 130A alternator, LED interior and exterior lighting, Kicker 46CSS674 Car Audio 6 3/4" Component Full Range Stereo Speakers, Pioneer AVHX2700BS w/Pioneer NDBC8 Backup Camera, Transcend Drivepro 550 Dual Lens Dash Camera, and much more!
    @NomadicFrog thanks for sharing! This is the best solutions I have come across and will be doing something similar. I had posted a thread a day or two ago asking for advice on deterrents etc. so this is very timely.
    :cheers:

NomadicFrog[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 30, 2021 at 5:24 AM
    blanchard7684

blanchard7684 New Member

Member:
    Serious question and apologies in advance if it has been covered--are other pick ups getting hit this hard?

4. Sep 30, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Just about any vehicle that they can hit is a target. They hit the newer vehicles because the cats are cleaner on the inside and will bring more money.

5. Sep 30, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    andnyleswillriot

andnyleswillriot Not Remote Working

Member:
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC w/ Black Topo Topper
    Toytec 3" w/2.5 Coilovers. SPC UCA's. Method Roost Bronze Wheels. 35" BFG KO2's. SPC Upper Control Arms. 2019+ TRD Pro Grill. LED headlight bulbs. 2020 OEM LED Fog lights. Tech12volts Remote Start. MobArmor Magnetic Phone Mount. Topo Topper.
    That little thin cage ain't gonna do shit against a sawzall.

6. Sep 30, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    NomadicFrog

NomadicFrog [OP] Took 5 yrs, finally got rid of "New Member" here

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra SR5 4x4 TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    First mod: Gaffer tape over door lock/unlock beeper
    The story I've heard is that Toyotas are particularly popular because all vehicles are designed to California's stricter regulations, and hence have more of the precious metals in them, whereas Ford for example may only make 20% for the California market, so thieves have an 80% chance of getting a lower-grade cat.

Note: I have no idea if this is accurate...can't even remember who told me that, but it sounded right at the time, at least.

Also, trucks sit up higher - especially our lifted ones - making it even easier to get under for the cutting.

Again: nobody is claiming this will stop somebody who wants to steal the cats. But it will add significant time, and create significantly more noise, which most-likely will deter. I will report back if we are proven wrong.

tunyota likes this.
  7. Sep 30, 2021 at 9:56 AM
    tunyota

tunyota Wrenching w/ the beautiful wife.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Phantom Gray 2006 Regular Cab Long Bed 4WD V8 4.7L
    Front Hitch Receiver, Bilstein 5100s, Denso 130A alternator, LED interior and exterior lighting, Kicker 46CSS674 Car Audio 6 3/4" Component Full Range Stereo Speakers, Pioneer AVHX2700BS w/Pioneer NDBC8 Backup Camera, Transcend Drivepro 550 Dual Lens Dash Camera, and much more!
    This is my understanding as well. I like the expanded steel and similar options as it can be retrofitted to encompass the cats and provides more material to cut through. I read that wire rope is also an effective means as it is harder for the reciprocating saw blades to cut thru as it is flexible vs rigid. I will likely go the extra mile and wrap some wire rope around the cats, frame, and weave it in and out of the cage. This is the material I ordered for store pickup so if I change my mind for a different material I can easily return plus it is already powder coated. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Storage...3615ae60607fc1fc39c91f751e128e8bb2b22b2877bba

Products Discussed in

To Top