1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carpro reload beading??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by dspilot, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    dspilot

dspilot [OP] Professional Nomad

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 4X4 Silver Sky Metallic
    I just washed my truck for the first time after sealing the paint with reload. I was expecting to have more water beading as a result of the reload. Does it not typically bead very well? There was some beading and it definitely repels most of the water, but not like I was expecting to see. It seems like it beads better in some places more than others. Makes me wonder if I didn't prep or apply it correctly?? :confused::confused:

Oh well, I topped it off with bead maker this time, so I'm sure I'll see some water beading.

And, Ill be using Griot's 3-in-1 next time anyway.

Not sure if the pic really shows what I'm trying to get across......
    IMG_2523.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Yeah something doesn’t look right. How did you prep the paint? I prep the paint the same way for all sealants but I will tell you that 3-1 has preformed much better for me then reload. Don’t get me wrong I loved reload and have plenty of it on the shelf but griots blew me away. Now for me it’s cquartz with reload during application or it no coating with 3-1. I topped my cquartz coated truck with 3-1 a few weeks ago and it preforms like it did when I first coated.

3. Sep 14, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Definitely looks like something went wrong. Reload isn’t the most hydrophobic product, but it’s up here. I’m definitely not used to seeing water sit on it like that. It almost looks like there’s still soap on the hood?
    What did you seal it with last time? Maybe something kept it from bonding. I’m really curious because I’ve never seen that before with Reload.

4. Sep 14, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Something is wrong just like the others said. Did you apply it when the car was wet? It needs to go on dry, clean paint.
    I use reload and there have been times it beads and dried so quickly that I had to respray with water as I washed, and times that I uses a foam cannon and the foam wouldn't stick.
    What was your application process?

5. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    dspilot

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Been out of pocket the last few days since I posted this. Thanks for the responses. Answers following.....

Prep process when I applied the Reload was as follows: Wash with dawn dish soap to strip and decontaminate the surface. Decon with Iron X following the wash, dried the truck (blow dry with a leaf blower and then dry with Griot's PFM). Pulled it into the garage and wiped it down with Nanoskin clay mitt (fine) using optimum no rinse diluted down to a clay lube. Wiped it dry with a MF towel. Applied the reload by putting a couple of sprays on a MF towel and then several sprays of Reload on each surface and wipe off with a clean/dry MF towel, working on a couple of panels/sections at a time.

To my knowledge, this is the first time the truck has been sealed. I bought it with 5500 miles on it and I'm fairly certain it had never had any any type of sealer on it.

Truck was completely dry and as clean as I could practically get it.

I'm thinking I'd like to get a decent sealant job on it before winter time, so I may strip it down and do it again. However, some areas seem sealed really well. So with that in mind, would should I do for prep in order to have it do right next time? Is a machine polish in order? Is it good enough to just decon wash and clay it again?

ToyoMafia[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Man this is a big mystery. My only change in the process would be an eraser wipe down before the application of sealer (or alcohol) but I don’t truly believe that it would cause reload to fail so poorly. How old is your reload? Did you shake it really well if it sat awhile? If you go through the process again I would just use 3-1. But you can stack reload so maybe shake the hell out of it and try another coat on a panel that failed. Idk

7. Sep 16, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

The only part of your process I can see that may have caused an issue is:

“Pulled it into the garage and wiped it down with Nanoskin clay mitt (fine) using optimum no rinse diluted down to a clay lube. Wiped it dry with a MF towel.”

I always wash again after claying. Since you just wiped it off after doing so, it’s likely there’s still residue from the ONR/clay on there. This would inhibit the Reload’s bonding, and it may have just wiped off in spots where the ONR hadn’t been completely removed.
    I’d suggest just giving it a good wash again and re-applying the Reload. I bet this will do the trick. You shouldn’t need to machine polish, and I’d definitely recommend against claying again so soon. (Not something you really want to do more than once a year or so.)

8. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:10 AM
    dspilot

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    I just used up the last of my reload on the car I got my son. I was going to just go ahead and get the 3 in 1 for the next time I do a wash/seal (my wife's car will be due for it in another month or so). Do y'all think I could just do 3 in 1 on top of what's already there (maybe in a few weeks after the bedmaker wears off)?

Thanks for y'all's help with all this.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  9. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    dspilot

Member:
    North Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    It was probably 6-8 months old. I did shake it really well before I started using it.

ToyoMafia[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    My truck has a CarPro coating on it and I was using reload for 2month maintenance I have now switched to using 3-1 and have had very good results I’m not using a machine on it and my process is very straight forward

wash with reset
    Wipe down with eraser (lightly using product)
    Apply 3-1

so I believe if you give it a real good wash and wipe down you should be good.

I agree with Jason as well I always give the vehicle a second wash after ironX and clay process. I also do the clay while the vehicle is wet no need to put it in garage for that step unless it’s super hot and sunny. Which I stay away from for all car care situations. We all have different techniques for clay but I use griots speed and synthetic bars/mitts. I have never had issues with reload I just prefer 3-1 because it lasts longer it cheaper and it seems to bead a bit better.

11. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Well we will eliminate that then. It has to be caused by the process and I think WAR hit it on the head.

12. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    That should work fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top