1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carplay and backup cameras

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Stearly, May 19, 2019.

1. May 19, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    Stearly

Stearly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra XSP
    hey guys. Just got a 2012 tundra XSP this weekend, and I absolutely love it. I have a backup camera built into my rear view mirror, and was wanting to get a car play head unit. Does anyone know if I could reroute the backup camera into the car play unit? This is the unit I’m looking at. Is this something Best Buy could do? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7...-media-receiver-black/6283609.p?skuId=6283609

2. May 19, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    The OEM camera is 6v, most aftermarket decks use 12v so you'd need a voltage converter and a way to power the camera on from the HU.

I had the mirror camera on my 2nd gen and couldn't get the one built into the iDatalink Maestro RR to work properly, but my 3rd gen with the in dash display worked fine.

Trooper2 likes this.
  3. May 19, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Best Buy may have some knowledge too this. Also Crutchfield is a great resource, their technical support.

I would think if the voltages were to change as mentioned that you might be able to replace the existing camera with a 12 volt model and reroute the cabling as planned. There may be more to it.

Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top