1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carpet Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Riskyguy, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dec 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM
    Riskyguy

Riskyguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewcab
    I was wondering what you guys do to clean your carpets. I have watched some videos where the detailer uses an electric type of polisher with what looks like a brush head. Others just rent a commercial carpet cleaner. What are your thoughts about the best way to get the carpets clean? Thanks!

2. Dec 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    A lot of it depends on how dirty your carpets are. I'm not a fan of extractors...that's a lot of water, and exposing wiring connections (under the carpet) to excess water can be an issue. The brushes that attach to drills or polishers do a very nice job of agitating and loosening set in stains, but I've had good success with Wolfgang carpet cleaner on topical stains like coffee and soda spills.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Dec 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    You could tear it up.....Giggity

1ec6949163df79aa3c03575405af4953cc7cbb0cff3eeb0049e8b7789209d512.jpg

ToyoMafia, Trooper2 and Fotnot like this.
  4. Dec 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Much more helpful response than mine. Dr Steve in the house.

ToyoMafia and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Dec 27, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    birdman076

birdman076 Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    For light stains or spills I use baby wipes (huggies are the best by far). Long story warning:

I travel a lot with work. On one of the trips we had a reseller tagging along for some first hand training with the boss and I. This guy was a trip, smoked cigars every chance he got and was a real clutz. About 3 days into a week long trip he is wearing Khaki pants to a demo we are doing. He also has a full cup of coffee to go he had to have from the morning stop of breakfast.. He spills the whole damn cup all over his Khaki pants (luckily it wasn't that hot). After a round of swearing we pull over at a gas station. Now I figure he's gonna change, nope. He breaks open his fanny pack / travel bag and breaks out baby wipes. My boss and I exchange looks like "WTF is this guy got rhoids and headed to the John?!?!". He starts wiping his pants down with the baby wipes swearing up and down its going to get rid of every bit of coffee stain and smell. We aren't buying it. About a 1/2 hour later and pulling into the clients parking lot where we are doing the demo I look back and sure as shit his pants are dry, not a stain on them and no lingering smell of coffee in the air. Ever since that I've been a believer of baby wipes. We keep a pack or 3 around for "pet stains" on the carpet as well as spills and drops from relatives and kids. They work amazingly well for light to moderate stains. In fact I had a bad spill of soda (2 liter my son decided to shake on the way home from the store) in my old Tacoma. It went all over the back seat, carpet, back of the front seats and in between the front seats and console. I was not a happy camper... I hit what I saw (it was at night) with wipes as good as I could. Came back out the next morning and hit the rest, you could not tell a soda exploded in that truck after I was done. No stain, no smell no stickiness, nothing. For deep stains or spills I use Shout lol. We have beige carpets in the house we are in everything shows up on the carpet. For the big stuff nothing works as well as Shout...the tile can't come soon enough with 2 dogs now.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  6. Dec 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    Riskyguy

Riskyguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewcab
    SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  7. Dec 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    Riskyguy

Riskyguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewcab
    I just went to Wallyworld and bought a small container of them. Just tried it on spots on our house carpet. It looks like a winner.

8. May 14, 2021 at 2:48 AM
    Astroworld

Astroworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick Jones
    Vehicle:
    BMW
    depending on what you want to clean weather just dust, or want to get rid of some spots)

9. May 14, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    Astroworld

Astroworld New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick Jones
    Vehicle:
    BMW
    What you have seen are different techniques for cleaning, each of it having a purpose behind. Normally, I vacuum it twice a week. I am very allergic so I have to be sure that the carpet is clean and no rug bugs (had an awful story with them some years ago). My neighbor purchased a special cleaner. I have seen on the internet that it costs around $150, so I borrowed it to try before the purchase. But, I destroyed a small carpet. So actually for me, the best strategy is to take them twice a year to the service for a professional cleaning. They also use eco detergents, so no chemicals in my house.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  10. May 14, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    That's.....freaking amazing. I've never heard of this. I'll have to pick some up and try them out.

Also - I'm a huge fan of Tuff Stuff.

11. May 14, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    FortyNorth

FortyNorth New Member

Member:
    Northern ON
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Super White SR5
    I scotch guard my carpets once a year after a good cleaning (and dry time) with carpet cleaner. That really makes them easier to clean. Other than that, just regular washing of the tray liners and vaccuuming/spot cleaning anything that gets past them has been my system. Frequency makes it easy/quick vs a big ordeal.

Products Discussed in

To Top