1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cargo Rack Scene Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by junior, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Nov 4, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    junior

junior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Black Rhino Rapid 17" 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss Bilstein 6112 at 2.5" w/ 1 Coach Builder Shim on each side JBA UCAs Bilstein 5160 Dobinsons HD Leaf Springs Firestone Airbags + Daystar Cradles Leer 100XR Decked Drawers
    I'm building a Prinsu-style rack atop my Leer shell with the help of my brother. I plan to mount 1 Rigid Scene light to the rails on each side which have a simple pos/neg 12v wire setup.

upload_2020-11-4_21-46-47.jpg

Since my OEM cargo lights/switch in cab have been deemed useless with the shell, I found these 921 leads. I was thinking I could utlize the existing switch on the dash to hook up the new lights tapped into power using these connectors where the cargo light bulbs are. This would turn both scene lights on/off or even controlled by the doors. These lights, according to the website only draw 0.75 amps.

upload_2020-11-4_21-51-37.png

Does any of the more electrically inclined think there would be issues mounting/wiring a SECONDARY external waterproof switch to the rack siderails to control the lights individually? Maybe I want only the drivers side on at a campsite.

upload_2020-11-4_21-53-58.jpg

Ive drawn a diagram of how I think it would work, but it could be way off. Any input is appreciated.

upload_2020-11-4_21-47-28.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Dceclipse likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    Pangaea

Pangaea New Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra CM TRD Off Road Premium
  3. Feb 23, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    Electrically, you are correct there. I am a little curious about how you are going to get the wires OUT of the cargo light though? I’m a Tacoma guy, so sorry if it’s obvious on Tundras, but I would try to maintain the weather proofing of the cargo light. Do you have bed lights or anything? Forgive my ignorance again if all Tundras come with them or something. I know electrical pretty well. Trucks, not so much :)

junior[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 23, 2021 at 10:03 PM
    junior

junior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Black Rhino Rapid 17" 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss Bilstein 6112 at 2.5" w/ 1 Coach Builder Shim on each side JBA UCAs Bilstein 5160 Dobinsons HD Leaf Springs Firestone Airbags + Daystar Cradles Leer 100XR Decked Drawers
    Thanks! I've posted in my other thread, but To close the loop on this one, the plan above ended up working great.

I didn't take any pics of this part, but re: getting wires out of there—on the third brake light lens there is ~1/2" lip that protrudes inward toward the cab behind the rubber gasket. I notched that out about 1/4" beneath each light socket ran the 921 wires through and resealed it with RTV silicone. It's been 2 rainy months since and I've had no issues.

No surprise, the scene lights can come on by opening the doors, unlocking, or on all the time using the OEM switch in the dash, and if left on from the cab, can be turned off from my outside switches per side.

I hope to run 2 more of these lights at some point, but I don't think I'd want to do too much more from this circuit just to be safe.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.56.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.56.32 PM.jpg

5. Feb 23, 2021 at 10:37 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    Crap, I didn’t notice the date :rofl:
    I’m glad it turned out good, and thank you for explaining how you routed the wires. That seems like a good way to go

Products Discussed in

To Top