1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car was left idle by body shop

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by FundraTRD, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    FundraTRD

FundraTRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Hey guys my wife’s gx460 was at a body shop after she got tboned in a parking lot.

When we dropped the car off it had 90 to go until empty and when we picked it up it was at 60. We were like go great but what’s the use in arguing since we have no valid proof. She said she noticed the car had a delay starting up the next day and also when we picked it up it just wasn’t crisp as normal. I thought it was the plugs but today her car won’t even start and I suspect the battery which leads me to believe these guys must have left the car running all night long and drained the gas and battery really low. The car had only been driven short drive so maybe alternator didn’t quite get to charge it full or maybe at a certain point the battery doesn’t hold a charge? Was wondering if you guys had any idea if my logic kinda makes sense and if so, how would I even go about talking to the shop about this. I think they would just deny the fact. It is supposedly a reputable shop... but

2. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Also could this have caused any other issues other than battery, I hope they didn’t run it empty and just fill it back up. My concern is it was there just before Christmas and New year so hopefully it wasn’t a weekend thing arg

3. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    It's possible the battery was damaged in the accident and it didn't appear until later.

I wouldn't assume it was left idling for an extended period and even if it was it shouldn't affect the battery. I'd just attribute the difference in DTE to the computer relearning after a battery disconnect (I assume they would for repairs) and likely a couple test drives to make sure there's no issues.

4. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Running the car on idle until it runs out of fuel should not be an issue. When it runs out of fuel and shuts off there should not be anything that drains the battery, unless they left the lights on or the doors open.
    I would not think any of your issues are related to that - cars run out of fuel all the time.

If it was T-boned, see if the fuel line was maybe crimped due to the impact (although if it was in a parking lot it should not be that severe)

Other than that I don't know what could cause the starting and running issues. If it did run out of fuel, did you have premium and they filled it up with regular?

YardBird and FundraTRD[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Ok thanks for opening a new perspective for me. So then my best bet is to call the adjuster? The accident was minor and collision far from the battery. What could be it I have no clue gee

6. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    This was the extent of the accident. Pretty small, but was $6,500 of work.

could it have caused it? It only takes premium... man you think if I go confront them it would even be worth it I hate it when people don’t take accountability

09BFFB50-3818-4ABC-A780-FF7583D7F338.jpg

7. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    They will probably not admit to anything. They probably also would not fill it with premium if it did run out of gas. However, let's say that's the case, there should not be any damage due to that. Just run it to empty or close to it and fill it back up with premium. First tank will also have to get the computer to re-adjust, so it might take a little time to run smooth. If that's indeed what happened.
    Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

8. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:50 AM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Okay, thanks for your input

9. Jan 7, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Possible also that the battery was marginal and if you're driving it daily it was charging enough to be ok. Then if it sat for a few days finished it off.

Can't hurt to call the adjuster, you took in a fully functioning vehicle and now it isn't.

The gas probably isn't worth pursuing unless you have an odometer reading from drop off and pick up showing unreasonable mileage for the repair.

10. Jan 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Thank you.

update, father in law went over with new battery and changed it over for her. Now car runs fine I guess. Perhaps the battery was just marginal like you said. Thanks for calming my suspicions I’ll just let it go. No harm no foul

Boerseun likes this.
  11. Jan 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    How old was your battery?

FundraTRD[OP] and Tundra2 like this.
  12. Jan 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    FundraTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Snow White
    Don’t know exactly but prolly around 3 years so that may be it. But still a mystery about the fuel level. And why all of a sudden after being fine, it dies. Even with the explanation about the battery and the computer resetting while they are working it. Anyway it’s pretty disrespectful to be rolling around a customers car for that many miles. Or leaving it running and forgetting about it. There is a reason behind this all and no point in asking them they will just deny so meh

Products Discussed in

To Top