1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap help...

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by cfred70, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Nov 26, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    cfred70

cfred70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Extang Solid Fold 2.0, 20% Tint, Black Emblem Overlays
    Started my search for a cap for my 2018....my brain hurts...nothing can ever be easy. Didn't realize how many options a truck cap could have. I've looked at Leer, ARE, Century....I don't really need it to do anything, I just like the look and extra space to haul things when we go on vacation or travel, so there isn't a required "need" like LED lights, carpet, etc.. Couple questions though...1. Is there something to watch for within any of these companies in regards to issues? 2. Besides price, is one better than the other. 3. One company my local dealer carries is Swiss Caps, but I can't find much, anyone have any input/experience with them? Thanks

2. Nov 26, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i have an ARE Z cap. i didn't get any options except for the roof rack rails. i added LED strips on my own then replaced them with a set, with the under hood lights, from @mattgecko.

no complaints on the cap.

cfred70[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 26, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    I’ve owned three caps in the past. Two Snugtop and one Leer. I think one of the biggest things to research is actually the dealer selling you the cap. Make sure you are working with a reputable shop.

I don’t recommend Snugtop. The one I had on my 2016 F-150 was a POS. Many quality issues from the factory. When I had paint issues for the second time, the store I bought it from replaced it at their expense with a new unit. The second unit was better, but Snugtop doesn’t adequately protect their products during shipping and paint chips/damage are to be expected. This was also a problem with the first unit of theirs I bought for a previous truck in ‘05.

The Leer was decent, but always leaked in the back window and I had to re-seal the brake light after less than two years.

For options, get LED for the reduced battery usage and brighter light. Make sure you also get the fold-down front window. No other way to clean the front of the cap window and the back window of your truck. Removing the cap is not easy.

When getting it installed, have the shop put down a few rows of 1” weather seal on the bed rails before the cap. My last shop did this and it was watertight.

cfred70[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top