1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Canoe rack sticker shock! DIY options?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ajm, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Oct 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    I have a cap on the tundra which came with two t-track slots on it to attach various Yakima or Thule racks and the like.

So yesterday I ambled down to my local yakima/thule dealer to see what I needed for a canoe rack.

Shocker the two "bars" plus hardware as well as a canoe strap down accessory came to about $1000 CAD (Canadian)....

This is almost what I paid for my Canoe! So I was wondering if I could use some sort of t-bolt solution - like use t-bolts in the t-track to fasten some 2x4 as cross bars and then just mount the canoe on that.

Anyone done this? I talked to Yakima yesterday and they said if I got their "Anchor plates" I could use a 5/8 bolt on them. Wondering what some of the folks on this forum have done (if anything)

2. Oct 11, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    If you can get Uni strut (trademark name) mounted on the topper, the possibilities are endless from there.

GODZILLA likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    Welcome from WI. That price seems awfully steep. I sell Yakima at my shop and if you have the Yakima tracks on the cap already you should need a set of Skyline towers, landing pads, core bars and the keelover brackets (gunwale brackets). I'm at $524 for those parts. I have no idea if we can ship to Canada or how much it would be but if you're interested I can check into it.

15whtrd likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    Sadly the exchange rate + taxes and duties to get it across the border would negate any savings. 524 USD is approximately 700 CAD and then add 13% sales tax (plus what whatever duties and customs handling fees)

5. Oct 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Seems high.

I've priced out a full rack foe the top of my CrewMax, shipped from Thule and it's under $600cad.

6. Oct 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    Was this steel or aluminum? Square bar or oval? When I was at Rack Attack yesterday there was some slightly lower priced options which were "noisier" according to the fellow there.

7. Oct 11, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Square steel bars, I prefer them over the new aero bars. It's what I had in my MTB days and one I know is easy to find accessories and can take a beating. I'm not worried about city noise with it one and when we go anywhere outside the city in the summer, we will have a canoe on top so it's going to be noisy no matter what

Shipped, directly from Thule for warranty. Even if you add a lock, you are probably around $600cad before taxes.

I haven't ordered yet as I'm spacing out my truck purchases and hoping for a BLK Friday or Christmas sale. It'll be for the spring. The Sienna had an OEM rack that we used prior to the truck.

Don't buy into the noiser vs quiet BS from the salesman. It's a roof rack, it'll be noisy on the highway no matter which you get. I'm going with the one I feel is more durable and handy for double duty if I want to put a ladder or something on it. For me, that's square.

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/ca/roof...-712xam?car=toyota-tundra-4dr-crew+max-_-goSC

Screenshot_20191011-141313.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  8. Oct 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    Thanks for the clarification on noisy vs quiet.

I think the one you ordered would have slightly different components to fit into my t-track. But the price you are quoting sounds about right for the square steel set I looked at yesterday.

Still feel I should try to find some t-bolts that fit into the channel.. I guess for me the Cap on the truck is a blessing and a curse.

With my old f150 with no cap I just built a canoe rack out of some scrap lumber that I could load in and out of the bed in no time and it was a breeze to load the canoe. Plus I customized the height to ensure the bow of the canoe (mine has a fair amount of rocker) didn't scrape the roof when loading and unloading.

My wife says just take the Cap off the truck in the summer during canoe season and use the old rack. But then I have to muscle the cap on and off and find a place to store it.... and I lose that secure storage/emergency car camping space....

9. Oct 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    @ajm

Keep in mind any accessories you may want to add, via Kijiji or new. They will be easier to find for a Thule (or Yakima) vs a house brand or third tier name.

10. Oct 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    There are house and third tier names? I didn't know that. Also thanks for mentioning kijiji I will try there also.

11. Oct 11, 2019 at 1:03 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    There are some Canadian Tire brand racks, Box, etc. I would avoid those.

As for Kijiji, it's the first place I look. Lots of accessories, not so much racks for newer trucks.

I just got 4 brand new, never used Bed Cleats for the bed rail system for $50.

12. Oct 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    ajm

ajm [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max TRD
    Cap
    Yeah I just looked lots of racks but very confusing as to what would fit mine which is a 2012 Tundra. most people have bike racks or racks to fit cars with raised rails. I guess the bars are universal though and if I could find a set of those cheap I could just buy the towers....

13. Oct 11, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    tbutler

tbutler Team Toyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Land Cruiser HE - Black
    Most likely you'll have to buy new towers to match your tracks and roof, but you could possibly find some used cross bars and accessories from craigslist, offer-up, etc.

ajm[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top