1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you use airbags AND a WDH at the same time? Pros / Cons?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by J Giles, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Dec 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM
    J Giles

J Giles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 5.7
    I have been researching GVWR, GCVW, GAWR, payload, tow capacity, etc. I've settled on a trailer that puts me at or close to my limits when fully loaded (trailer and truck). I had planned on a getting a weight distribution hitch and air bags (brake controller too). But after some research I've read that these two systems might actually work against each other and increase my GAWR. Is it safe to use the two in conjunction? Is there any benefit? If I have to choose one or the other, obviously the WDH is the way to go. I'm just trying to get the safest ride possible. Any information on suspension adjustments would be helpful as well. Thx.

2. Dec 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    I've used both at once and I actually didn't realize how good of an idea it was until about 100 miles into the first trip with that setup.

Just load the WDH draw-bars so that your truck is level and then put air in the bags afterwards to prevent bottoming out.

It also allows you to tune your steering sensitivity on the fly if your airbags have an onboard air compressor.

If it feels like you're getting understeer then reduce the air pressure in the airbags. If it feels like the steering is too sensitive add some air.

I towed a HEAVY trailer coast-to-coast in my crewmax last year. If you've got any questions send me a pm. I'll be happy to share what I learned over the course of 3,300 miles with the same heavy trailer behind behind my tundra.

Products Discussed in

To Top