1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping with family questions

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by SilverMetalJacket, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    SilverMetalJacket

SilverMetalJacket [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tundra SR5 Offroad
    Ok so I have done plenty of camping with buddies but now want to take my kids. I just want to know any must haves or things you found that made it fun for the kids.

I have a nice Kelty tent that is still a great tent and has enough room for now. Also already have a grill we also use for tailgating.

Looking at getting:
    • Either a air mattress or cots ... I hate waking up to a deflated bag so leaning towards a cot ... but just looking for experience
    • Outdoor kitchen or make a chuck box?? I have a workshop so it would be easy to make but looks to weigh quite a bit.
    • Screen enclosure tent... we live in Florida so we want our table to eat at to have somewhat of a barrier
    • Don't have a nice cooler ... so this is an excuse to buy one :) ... are they really worth it ?
    Any suggestions would be great. Weather is about to start getting nice and want to do some weekend trips. We also like the idea of just being able to load and go.

2. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    We did the air mattress thing and this year we switched to cots. Much better.

Clothes for kids. You have no idea how dirty they get. Bathroom conveniences. You need those. Some kids have issues squatting behind a bush so get yourself a dump bucket and plenty of baby wipes; they clean everything.

Entertainment for inside the tent in case of rain and you need to hide for an hour or so. Uno, dominoes, etc.

Storage space on your phone as you'll be taking a lot of pics of them cause they're having so much fun :D

Enjoy the time off.

3. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    CM-LENNY

CM-LENNY No Complaints

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CrewMax SR5
    PRO shocks, 37's Nitto G2's 4:88 diffs, few other mods
    As for the cooler thing, I'm sure the high $ ones work great, but I did lots of research/reviews and the Coleman Xtreme 5day works great. Walmart $25-50 depending on size. I bought on-line and got free delivery. Key with any cooler is a big block of ice along with crushed too. Enjoy that camping time with family :thumbsup:

4. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    We just switched to Coleman cots with padding. So much better than air mattresses. Only problem, especially with the crewmax bed, 4 of them is going to take up almost a quarter of the bed space.

SilverMetalJacket[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Yep. That is why we only have 2 ;)
    Kids get Walmart $19.99 unpadded cots.

6. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    SilverMetalJacket

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good stuff thank you!! Which cots did you happen to get I have read so many reviews on different ones at this point.

7. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    SilverMetalJacket

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok just saw the comment above thanks!

TXMiamiFan likes this.
  8. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    Tundra_mike89

Tundra_mike89 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TUNDRA CM 4x4
    Toytec boss coilovers Toytec shackles Total chaos uca's Method wheels Nitto ridge grapplers
    Just be aware with the Coleman xtreme it is easily opened by raccoons and whatever else is out there. If you do get that ice chest just be sure to secure it before going to sleep.

SilverMetalJacket[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Outside games...washer boards horseshoe's corn hole a frisbee a football pair of baseball gloves n ball
    Inside games (if raining)..
    Connect 4 checkers uno deck of cards go fish

Don't forget items to do Smores by campfire that's a must!!!

JMB, Slayer, Wvmoonshiner and 4 others like this.
  10. Aug 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    As far as the expensive coolers go, I got a pelican 45q several months ago for $246. Same one now is close to $450. My buddy was looking for one. Did a search for rotomolded coolers and there's some great deals on off brand ones. Probably just as good as pelican or yeti at 1/4 price.

11. Aug 20, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    family has a bison cooler....we love it!

Wvmoonshiner likes this.
  12. Jan 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Try cabelas polar coolers they work well, some dry ice in there helps keep regular ice longer too. Games for the kids when slow or bad weather. Cots are a good choice

Wvmoonshiner and 4x4_Angel like this.
  13. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    I have a Yeti cooler and yes they are expensive but I freaking love that thing. Holds ice for days

drumzdj and Marty McFly like this.
  14. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    Bison coolers are awesome too

Wvmoonshiner likes this.
  15. Jan 16, 2018 at 12:14 AM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    Canyon coolers are good too

Wvmoonshiner likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2018 at 1:00 AM
    caboose

caboose -1

Member:
    somewhere in the USA
    Vehicle:
    tundra dc trd
    ride rites w/ air compressor, trd pro grille, decked bed storage, nfab rkr rails w/steps, remote start.
    I got a yeti cooler with cabelas points and did a side by side comparison against a colmen from walmart and the ice lasted about a half day longer in the yeti. If I would have paid cash for it I would have returned it not worth the money. Go with a cot vs air mattress they all leak and I find cots comfortable. If your looking for a screen enclosure you should check out CVT and tepui RTT they sell shades that have a enclosure that hook up to your truck. https://tepuitents.com/collections/awning

Sunnier, 4x4_Angel and Wvmoonshiner like this.
  17. Jan 16, 2018 at 3:46 AM
    the_midwesterner

the_midwesterner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro - Quicksand
    None, yet....

I’ll 2nd or 3rd the pelican. We have a tundra 45 in the tan coolor to match my truck and it’s phenomenal. We prefer the latches of the pelican vs a yeti.

If you do it right, we we’ve been able to get 5 days and still come home with plenty of ice that lasts another 4-5 days after we empty the cooler. My advice with little ones is get a good cooler for the food and get a cheapo for the drinks. I’m sure the kids will be in and out of the one with the drinks and that’s what kills ice. Also as mentioned, block ice is your friend. We use our home fridge and a Pyrex pan to layer the bottom and then store food in reverse order of how it will be used, so as the days go on, you can just open the cooler 3 times per day and grab exactly what you need. So block ice, food, more block ice, more food, block ice food and fill the gaps with cubes. Avoid the gas station stuff with holes in it. The less surface areas the ice has, the longer it lasts.

Also, here is a shootout fourwheeler did a couple years ago on all the bigger name brands of coolers. Even though yeti probably has the best advertising and name recognition, it Got last place. Canyon took the #1 spot and pelican tied for 2nd with Grizzly.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1512-the-ultimate-high-end-cooler-shootout/

OBXTundra and 4x4_Angel like this.
  18. Jan 24, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    pschiller86

pschiller86 2017 SR5 CrewMax

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Temecula, CA
    As far as air mattress vs cot, this is what I chose:

https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad

Yes, it's expensive. But I always hated waking up on a deflated air mattress and a Cot just seemed like it took up a lot of space. This Exped sleeping pad rolls up almost like a sleeping bag.

4x4_Angel and Sunnier like this.
  19. Jan 24, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Jaywhy

Jaywhy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2016 SW TRD Pro CM
    Not sure how old your kids are, but I've been camping with mine since 6 months old, and one of the most used pieces of equipment we have is a kid carrier backpack. I have a Deuter kid comfort 2. If you have any plans on hiking with little ones, get one. They can walk part and then rest in the pack for a while. It'll allow you to get a lot more distance, and maybe find some cool ponds/streams/waterfalls to play in. You may even get a favorite photo ever taken opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. Jan 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Excellent advice! Thank you for sharing.

21. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Depends on your kids age. We started taking ours at about 1 and 4. Remote places, wouldn't see people for a week. Toys and games worked well for at the campsite. When they got older, we would do some target shooting. They both still have dimes with a hole in the middle that they shot with the .22 We did a lot of hiking, driving trails and getting out to look at interesting stuff. They slept in bags on the ground.

When they got older we did more beach camping at camp grounds, beach toys etc worked then. They still slept in bags on the ground. Since I got older also, we eventually got a pop up for my comfort. Had that until they moved away.

Tailgate grill plus grate for the campfire was all we ever used. My wife always also made sure to pack a salad in zip lock bags, as well as fruits, cereal, breakfast bars and a few other compact snacks.

Really, we started out by making a list and then modifying the list after each trip. It eventually turned into two lists, mountain tent camping and beach pop up camping.

Whatever you do, it's a great experience. Both of mine have their own tents and are taking their kids now.

22. Jan 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    If you are going to switch to cots your tent may be too small. If so the Kingdom cots from REI are beyond amazing. We have the kingdom 6 tent with garage. Depending on age head out and away as far as possible, but we saw a bear last year so we always have a sidearm too.

4x4_Angel and TXMiamiFan like this.
  23. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    I have kingdom 8 with garage. Sucker is huge. Always have sidearm too. Just learned I should switch hollow points for ball.

24. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Why? Please tell me it was a brown bear....

Black bears are harmless, and if you’re practicing Leave No Trace principles then even grizzlies will avoid you at all cost.

Helpful tips:
    • Make noise while hiking and you’ll never sneak up on one
    • Hide food properly
    • Leave the delicious deodorant at home
    • Clean dishes away from camp
    • If In the EXTREMELY rare occurrence that you encounter a grizzly you should look down, back away, and AFTER you are away you should make noise to encourage it to move away
    • If you are LUCKY enough to see a black bear, achieve some distance in the same way, and take lots of pictures because they are more afraid of you than you are them. Again, make noise and they will mosey on
    Please don’t shoot a bear because you “see one”

4x4_Angel, JMB and Sunnier like this.
  25. Jan 24, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    I do all of this. Kinda happy I’ve never spotted a bear. I do carry a bear bell when I hike.

26. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:11 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    I always carried a sidearm, but it was more for the "Deliverance" factor than the bears. We went to some pretty remote places.
    In the beginning we always went during spring gobbler season, I would hunt until noon. So there was a shotgun. Well, two shotguns... and a .30-06, .30-30, a couple of .22s...........

But seeing a bear in the wild was always a treat. Even though it was spring, showing them (the kids, not the bears) how to look for deer sign and picking a spot to sit in the late afternoon with a camera while they started stirring are some of the best memories. The snakes, owls, grouse, ground hogs and even the chipmunks were cool too.

One other thing, even if you're out for a week, never make the kids bathe in a cool mountain stream. My wife thought 7 days without a bath was too much and did just that. I didn't think they'd ever want to go back.

27. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I’m from GA and those Deliverance folks ARE like spotting bears....”kids, don’t get near them!”

I spent 81 nights in AK in the Chugach and had 0 showers....man, I even offended myself

4x4_Angel likes this.
  28. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    Baby wipes are great for this....just the soft squishy places :D

JMB[QUOTED] and TXMiamiFan like this.
  29. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    So that’s how you lost your hair!

30. Jan 24, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    4x4_Angel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    Gross.....AT LEAST THE SOFT SQUISHY PLACES!

Products Discussed in

To Top