1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam Tower Seal Leak Issue - long term effect?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Johnders2586, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Oct 25, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    Johnders2586

Johnders2586 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 W/TRD pkg
    Toytec Performance Aluma 3" Lift- Toytec rear shackle, Fuel Vector Wheels, Toyo Open Country C/T 295/70/18 Tires
    I am a bit disheartened that this is my first real post here, I just bought a 17 Tundra last weekend. I was doing some reading on here about the cam tower seal oil leak problem. Well sure enough I went an looked and my driver’s side shows some oil seeping near the back. Hard to see real clear the extent with all the lines but definitely some oil back there. I know this seems to have been covered a lot on here. I didn’t notice an oil smell or anything. Ignorance is bliss, I kind of wish I was like 90% of ignorant owners out there that are probably driving around without having a clue there is a potential problem. I guess my main question is, has anyone just let this ride? Like what does the long-term look like leaving this be? Is it absolutely 100% without a doubt only going to keep getting worse and worse until it can’t be ignored? I am not overly paranoid about leaks, I’ve had plenty of vehicles that leak a little and still drive fine and run them just keeping an eye on things an never had a real problem. Just wondering if anyone has not had it fixed, and just ran it long term. Am I fool for even considering leaving it? A part of me hates to think about someone tearing into a fully functioning motor to stop a small seep adding potential for something else to not get put back together right.. Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death, I am just sad that its taken the wind right out of my new truck sail..

2. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    GODZILLA likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:28 AM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Performance Aluma 3" Lift- Toytec rear shackle, Fuel Vector Wheels, Toyo Open Country C/T 295/70/18 Tires
    Yeah that's where I was reading about it, didn't see much about folks who just ran it as is, mostly folks saying they immediately got it fixed an how Toyota needs to fix the problem...

4. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    I noticed mine at ~10k miles and drove it for another 15k before getting it fixed. It looked the exact same at 25k that it did at 10k. I know that’s not a super long time but I would be nervous about a burning smell. If you don’t smell it I think you are in good shape.

I got mine fixed because it was new and my dealership is a good one. I don’t think you will have a long term impact to the truck if you don’t. I will say I have 20k on the truck since repair and the thing is bone dry.

good luck and keep us posted!

5. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:40 AM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the feedback, it makes me feel a little better. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Hard to judge sometimes, normally a small seep like this wouldn't have me really think twice beyond just monitoring it, but after reading so many posts of guys freaking out about it an rushing to the dealer makes it more unnerving.. Especially being new to the platform.

6. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    How many miles are you at? Still within the Powertrain warranty? I noticed mine starting to seep on the drivers side at about 30K miles. Dealership fixed at about 35K miles and I'm just over 50K now with no issues.

OR18TRD and GODZILLA like this.
  7. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    Johnders2586

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I am at 55k so I should still be under warranty I believe. I have to wonder what kind of BS the dealer may sell me to try an wiggle out of it.. I am sure a lot of people would think I'm dumb not to just have it done..

8. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    TRD423

TRD423 New Member

Member:
    Chattanooga
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 TRD 4X4
    -20% tint all around and over factory -2” ToyTec leveling spacer -275 70 18 BFG KO2 -TRD duel exhaust -TRD Pro skid plate -TRD Pro grille -TRD sway bar -TRD performance air filter -vinal wrapped front bumpers -Xenon Vision led head/ fog lights and interior lights -AJT Design billet shift knob
    I had both sides fixed at 12,9XX miles..currently a hair over 43,XXX miles now. My only issue i realized was that my mpg suffered a little after the fix. It was a constant 16-16.5 before, and after it was dead on 15.

9. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    You should be covered then, just make sure you have it done before you hit 60K. If nothing else, at least have Toyota note it in their system, so you can later show you reported the leak before the powertrain expired if it ever came down to it. I had mine done for peace of mind. My leak was very minimal (at least at the time I noticed it), but I wanted it taken care of. This can be en expensive repair if paid out of pocket. Others let it ride and don't want their engine torn apart. Just make sure you feel comfortable with whomever is doing the work. They gave mine to their master tech and I was able to speak with him before the repair was started. He had completed many of these jobs and I left feeling confident.

OR18TRD and GODZILLA like this.
  10. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    Forget those people! But if you do get it fixed find a good dealership. Mine was pretty awesome about it. I think it helped the head mechanic is a tundra owner. He took his time and the dealership ate some cost but now they have a loyal customer

OR18TRD likes this.
  11. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    I found and kept an eye on mine for about 3k before having it fixed at 57k. I'm now at 82k with no issues at all. My dealership is a good one, was knowledgeable about the problem and took very good care of my truck. My leaks were on both sides towards the front but I monitored them by cleaning the area with degreaser, hosing it off, drying and then watching those areas to see how quickly the leaks reappeared. I had no noticeable drop in oil level and no burnt oil smell. You might be able to let it go, depends on how long you plan to keep your truck, but if it's there I would definitely consider having it fixed before you hit 60k. Even if Toyota is made aware of the leak, better to be safe than sorry and nip it before you're out of the powertrain warranty.

12. Oct 25, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    If you're under warranty, go get it fixed. Sorry, and welcome to the club!

13. Oct 26, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    ScarWars

ScarWars New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO Super White
    I understand about not wanting the dealer to tear into your motor. From what I’ve read in the past that it will not cause any damage as long it’s a very minor seepage like what usually happens. i would keep a eye on it every once in a while and check the oil level just to be safe but I don’t think it will have any long term damage as long as you monitor it every now and then. It’s not like there’s a small puddle under the truck every morning. Just minor seepage.
    On the other hand if it makes you feel better at night then go ahead and have it fixed while it’s still under warranty.

14. Oct 26, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    If you were at 10k I’d agree to wait and monitor it. But if you are almost out of warranty, I’d lean toward getting it fixed. If the dealer gives you issues or claims they never heard of it, go to a different dealer. Don’t want them putting the oil change guy on it.

7.62Tundra and OR18TRD like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top