1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam tower leak

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Jbtundra, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Feb 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    Jbtundra

Jbtundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tundra trd 4x4
    Tow mirror, trd shifter, 3/1.5 lift: 6112/5160 billstein shocks. Boss offroad rear shackles. JBA hc UCA. Front bumstop extension.Swaybar relocation kit. TRD rear sway bar. True dual exhaust with Magnaflow 12 inch round muffler. 42 inch behind the grille light bar. TRD pro grille. Yota led light. ESP lockable underseat storage. OEM center console gunsafe. Factory spray on bedliner. Roll and lock A series retractable bed cover. FN fx pro wheels dark high gloss gunmetal. 295/70r18 falken at3w.
    New to this forum. I have a '15 tundra with sr5 and trd package 4x4. Only 10,000 miles on it. From a former titan owner, I love this truck. Planning to keep this truck forever. Just recently got disappointed by driver side cam tower leak. Just want to know if this is hard to fix. Any trustworthy dealership in southern Cal. Live in fontana ca. Thanks.

2. Feb 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    I wouldn't think it's an easy fix. Remove timing cover and chain along with everything else thats in the way to replace a seal. I'd think it'd be easier to have the dealer repair since it should be under the factory warranty.

3. Feb 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    NOT an easy fix but your dealer should do it under warranty.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    Jbtundra

Jbtundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tow mirror, trd shifter, 3/1.5 lift: 6112/5160 billstein shocks. Boss offroad rear shackles. JBA hc UCA. Front bumstop extension.Swaybar relocation kit. TRD rear sway bar. True dual exhaust with Magnaflow 12 inch round muffler. 42 inch behind the grille light bar. TRD pro grille. Yota led light. ESP lockable underseat storage. OEM center console gunsafe. Factory spray on bedliner. Roll and lock A series retractable bed cover. FN fx pro wheels dark high gloss gunmetal. 295/70r18 falken at3w.
    Thanks. Just worried about the timing and longevity of the engine once they fix it. Now I'm deciding whether fix it or trade in the truck.

5. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    BlueFalconActual

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    It's really not that big of a deal. It's a pain to fix because of the work needed to get to the towers but it won't have any adverse affects at all on your engine. For some reason it seems to be not uncommon in 15's. I would take it to a dealer, let them fix it and see if you could get an extended warranty out of it. That seems to be the common outcome from what I've seen.

6. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Not sure about the rest of ya, but I can't think of anyone having posted that their Cam Tower Leak repair has needed follow up attention, nor was suspect to the premature demise of their truck.

TheBeast and ColoradoTJ like this.
  7. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I agree.

There was that one member in Montana that had the same issue a couple times with his cam tower leaking, but that was due to a crappy job.

8. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    Jbtundra

Jbtundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm so glad I've found this forum. I was ready to trade in my truck yesterday. Thank you guys.

9. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    Jbtundra

Jbtundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was a lucky titan owner before. I had the titan for 8 years only 1 rearend seal leak. Never had any problem and it's lightly modified with exhaust and programmer.

10. Feb 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Just make sure when you go to pick up your truck after it's fixed that you check the oil level. Make sure they put some in LOL. Even go as far as to remove the skid plate for them because for some reason it appears that it is such a hindrance that they don't even bother changing the oil and or filter because of it ha ha Ha

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  11. Feb 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    BlueFalconActual

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    No worries buddy. This is a GREAT forum because of the mods and the fact that the Tundra is a pretty rock solid truck so 99.9% of all posts are about modding/beer/bs and not about breakdowns.
    Let us know if you have any questions and feel free to hang around. Lots of really good guys and gals on here.

12. Feb 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO.

13. Feb 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Welcome from Las Vegas brutha!! Let's see your baby......

14. Feb 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    Jbtundra

Jbtundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top