1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying new for the first time

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by wakeboarder, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Aug 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM
    wakeboarder

wakeboarder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra
    Not a Tundra, unfortunately. A 4Runner for the wife. Local dealer wanted a $4k “market adjustment” on top of MSRP, so we looked at dealers a bit further away. Found a dealer about 30 minutes further away with an allotment, and put a $1k deposit because no one within 200 miles has new 4Runners on the lot. This dealer is trying to push a $1k warranty. Is that normal business for you guys who have bought new recently? In the past even though I bought used from dealerships, I’ve had two instances were there was an issue post-sale and they made it right. No warranty involved.

Is this type of thing brought on by the current market? Or is it just this particular dealership? If something goes wrong outside powertrain warranty and I don’t opt for the extended warranty, I guess I’m coming out of pocket. I mean, it’s a $50k vehicle, what’s another grand, but damn…

One more question, and thanks for reading this far, what kind of interest rates are you guys getting? The 6.5 they wrote up seems SUPER high.

2. Aug 3, 2022 at 3:31 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Warranty push is normal for dealers. $1k isn’t bad assuming it’s the Toyota platinum warranty out to 7 years and 75k miles. (I’d guess it’s probably not).

search the forum for an extended warranty thread. Then there’s a member who will PM you contact info for a dealer that offers the Toyota platinum warranty at incredible pricing (I can’t post the pricing here) but it’s very very good. Sounds shady but it’s legit. Lots of guys on here use it.

And yes 6.5 % is super high. Shopping around some local banks or USAA (if you’re a member) should net you a sub-5% rate at least.

wakeboarder[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    wakeboarder

wakeboarder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra
    Yeah, my local credit union will do 4.71%. Still seems high, but I know rates are up right now.

I will definitely check out that other dealerships warranty offer. Good to know the warranty push is pretty standard, and I figured it was, but still seems a bit over the top.

PermaFrostTRD[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top