1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a used trailer out of state. Could use some help with the process

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PA452, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Oct 8, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    May be buying a used trailer out of state this weekend. Due to the timing, we will not be able to go to a notary together. As I understand it, the seller was supposed to take the title to a notary and get it signed ahead of time. He will give me the title, we will do a bill of sale, money will trade hands, and I bring it home. Then on Monday when they're open, I take it to a notary in my state with the title and BOS and they handle the transfer and get me a plate. Does that all sound right?

2. Oct 9, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2, SmartCap, Ride Rite, Bora spacers, 35” rugged ridge tires.
    In nh and surrounding states I sign title as owner and give to new buyer. No notary involved.

sleepybear723 likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Sounds correct The notary on seller signature just verifies the signer matches the name on the title - and then when you sign as buyer yours verifies you are the person signing.

Titles are very state specific though.

Keep in mind you will likely need to take trailer with you to your local DMV/BMV when transferring title for inspection/VIN confirmation (anti theft process) and will also be requested to show bill of sale to pay any state sales tax due (paid at your states rate).

4. Oct 9, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    No notary needed in NY. Just a signed title and a bill of sale.

Oey12, Toyotoholic and sleepybear723 like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    sleepybear723

sleepybear723 New Member

Member:
    Make sure there are no liens on the title.

Leo's first likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Check your state and the state the trailer is coming from. Don't take the word of the seller. Do the transaction at a bank if possible. They often have a notary and can verify the cash isn't counterfeit.

7. Oct 9, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Depends entirely on the states involved which of course are not mentioned at all?

Here in Mo there is nothing more than to bring in signed Title to the DMV and do paperwork,I sign as the buyer there in front of the DMV person and walk out with Plates.

No idea why the buyer needs to have signature Notarized as he is just buying at this point and the paper transfer is witnessed by DMV when there? Also here no inspections required unless there is no Title which is an entirely different deal for sure!

Make sure if you can that the Trailer matches he Title for what you are about to pay for if possible!

I bet the DMV website for both states are pretty clear about the requirements for the states involved too?

8. Oct 9, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I recently sold a car to a gent from Utah. Prior to him flying to Ohio where I live I sent him pictures of my drivers license, pilots license, title, registration and picture of me with the license plate in view. All to ease any possible concerns he may have meeting a stranger while carrying $13K in cash. I also had odometer statements, and both Ohio and Utah bill of sales ready to fill out at my bank. He dropped me off at home and headed west.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Leo's first and GODZILLA like this.
  9. Oct 9, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Bucks04

Bucks04 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    Working on it
    Always verify the vin number matches. Just recently went to buy trailer and vins didn't match , seller said he would contact person he bought it from and get correct title. Never heard from him again , and won't return any calls. Very shady deal. In past I've never compared numbers on title to vehicle or trailer before , My son checked this time and caught it.

10. Oct 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Not all trailers have any VIN or one that is easy to find either and this can be an issue for sure.

11. Oct 9, 2021 at 7:17 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Again - this is all VERY state specific.

Depending on size of trailer - some states don’t even require a title.

The notary - as I mentioned, is nothing more than a person “witnessing” the person signing provide evidence supporting who they are (or is personally known by the notary to be that person). Notary is not required in all states for IN STATE transactions- but cross jurisdiction transfers…it likely is. Again every state makes its own rules and when dealing with 2 - it’s more likely they require additional verifications.

Without knowing states involved - there is no way to give “correct” advice - just guidelines.

Best bet - call your DMV/BMV with questions - they will know the answer that applies to you.

And yes - verify liens. In MOST states, holding a title means no lien - but not all. Some states allow you to hold physical title and have a lien on something. It should be recorded on the title - but isn’t always.

As to VIN not matching - it’s common on trailers. Dealers sell a lot - they give someone the wrong MCO and that person gets a title without anyone physically looking at the trailer - just the wrong number on the MCO. Creates a mess chasing down who has the right MCO and getting paperwork to correct person. Seen it a few hundred times before…almost always from some guy buying and reselling lower end stuff as a “side business” to whatever kind of business they regularly run (used cars, equipment sales, etc).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    JLS in WA likes this.
  12. Oct 9, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Buyer is in PA, seller and trailer registered in WV.

13. Oct 9, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Both states if there is a lien - lender holds title

PA owner signs title in presence of notary which they give to buyer.

You take the title and trailer to DMV and they inspect and issue new title from Wva

From memory too WVa taxes must be 2/3 of “book” or normal value - or they question why and may ask for proof (to avoid people saying they bought a new car for $100 for example to avoid tax cheats) - no idea how that works on a trailer - just an FYI be aware the Revenue looks at that stuff there I know.

14. Oct 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone. Tried to call the DMV, but they aren't open today. Unfortunately if this deal is happening, it's happening today. I think I'm in the clear though.

15. Oct 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good info, thanks. Buyer and seller states are reversed though. But some of this is exactly what I was wondering about.

16. Oct 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Call the sheriffs office to do an on site inspection and run the VIN in their system.

Get a clean sign off,and you’ll have nothing to be concerned about

I once purchased a trailer with matching paperwork and VIN

Upon trying to register,the county tag office sent the sheriff out to inspect it. They wouldn’t issue me a tag for some error message that kept that popped up in their system.

Even though everything matched,it came back stolen when the sheriff ran the vin in their system

Gotta cover all your bases.

17. Oct 9, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    WhyW8

WhyW8 “It’s ALWAYS Loaded”

Member:
    First Name:
    HB
    Sunny AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 CM
    Level Kit, DiamonBack Tonneau, Step Boards, Alpine Amp, Cerwin Vega powered Sub
    Should be good to go if the current owner has signed the title in front of a Notary, you can handle your end separately --- At least in the Simple State of Arizona

No signed and Notarize title (if sellers State requires Notary) -- is a NO GO

18. Oct 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone. It all worked out (so far).

The notary in WV wasn't comfortable doing his thing with only the seller, so I had to meet there with him. He claimed in WV they don't notarize the title, he notarized the BOS. So that was done and the title was signed by the seller. I signed also but my notary up here told me I didn't need to do that. Anyway took it all to the PA notary and seemingly it's all good. I guess I'll know that for certain when I get the title from PA.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top