1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 2006

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Jk70, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sep 2, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Jk70

Jk70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    First post.
    New to tundras but not Toyota. Looking for a cheap truck i can tinker with and beat on a bit but be reliable. Found a 2006 access cab with 245k miles on it and priced at $6995 right now (haven’t negotiated yet). Have searched for others and they seem to be around this price and higher. 1 owner, all down in north carolina.

Seems to be in good shape. Cosmetically, can use some love but drives well. Anything from the 1st gens I should pay more attention to and look out for? Thanks in advance

ktundra and YardBird like this.
  2. Sep 2, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
  3. Sep 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    For the tl;dr - FRAME RUST, RUST, RUST ON THE FRAME, RUSTY FRAME, RUST HOLES IN THE FRAME, FRAME PERFORATIONS

Oh, and if you have the VIN, you can lookup options and look for service records at Toyota's site here and probably on Carfax too. You want to look for what's been replaced and what hasn't.

At 270, timing belt should be going on its 3rd change, you're looking at $1k+ if it's not done, use this for nego if they don't have records of recent change.

You may also want to ask what of the front susp has been changed, at nearly 300k you probably have about $2k worth there also.

Engine, as long as it's been regularly serviced, it's not even at half-life yet.

viducce and FrenchToasty like this.
  4. Sep 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    Jk70

Jk70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I was under the car today and it looks great. The carfax shows it only ever being serviced in north carolina and the VIN on the owner’s site shows some warranty work but nothing to do with rust. No outstanding recalls either.

Carfax does show timing belt changed at 125k miles. There are no service records from 2013 to 2019 (except for inspection and registration) but that could be from the owner doing their own work. My current cars never show up on carfax because i do my own maintenance (unless something major). The dealer bought the vehicle from auction last month so he doesn’t know much about the history

Darkness likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Iesurfer

Iesurfer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbo
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra 4x4
    Some common 1st gen and even later gen issues, fuel gauge doesn't work all the time or at all, transmission seals weep/leak, lower ball joints, steering rack

viducce likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yeah, I mean, you're left to guess then, that's not cool.

If you're buying from a dealer, I'd ask if the truck can be inspected. The big mysterious gap between 125k and 245k miles on the timing belt is suspect to me, I'm of the mindset it hasn't been replaced. Any time a shop ever does that work across all the 1st gens I looked at before buying mine, there was a sticker in the engine bay clearly indicating the date and mileage the timing belt was done. Every belt I've seen comes with a sticker like that for you to install.

If there's no evidence of the timing belt sticker in the engine bay, no records for the timing belt, assume it's never been done. I wouldn't be surprised it's why the previous owner gave it up, the cost and time involved, $1200+ for parts/labor at a shop? Anyway, any respectable dealership should allow a mechanic to check timing belt and other stuff. We've a place here "ToyoTechs" that offers that service cheap, they specialize in Toyo/Lex and are supposed to be great.

This would be my #1 concern if the frame is clean, and I'd secondarily worry about the front suspension stuff.

7. Sep 3, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Jk70[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 3, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    LM1.jpg

Welcome aboard from The Pacific South West.

Jk70[OP] likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    I've got 319k and don't have a sticker. :eek:

10. Sep 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I don't care much about reported services on used cars. Nice to have but doesn't scare me a bit if they don't have it. Not all shops report to those agencies. According to carfax my oil hasn't been changed since 2008. My timing belt was done at Toyota and they never put a sticker in the engine bay.

If the truck appears solid i would do the usual tire kicker routine. Check fluids, look at the level, look at the color, give them a sniff to check for burnt smell. If you're like me and want to freak out the seller, taste the fluid. :eek:

Crawl under and look for leaks. Look for rust everywhere, the #1 concern is rust, you don't want a rust bucket for a truck. Look at suspension joints and brake lines while you are there. Crawl back out and grab the front wheels at 3 and 9 o'clock, shake back and forth, look for play. Grab again at 12 o'clock and repeat. Mumble to yourself if the seller is watching all this and act like you don't like what you see at all.

Ask lots of questions, then start haggling. If the timing belt has been done recently, ask where and if they have receipts. If not, use that as haggle leverage because that job is $800-1200 depending where you go.

I don't know the market out there but $6k give or take might be reasonable.

11. Sep 3, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Just to add, 06 is a pretty desirable year because it has the most development of any first gen. 5 speed auto trans, VVTi motor, good front brakes, stronger lower ball joints.

That puts it (or an 05) higher in price range than an 04 or older.

ktundra and revtune like this.
  12. Sep 3, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    Jk70

Jk70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I tried to get the dealer down to 5500 but so far won't budge from 6895. He did offer to throw in a 3 month 4500 mile warranty. I haven't decided yet

13. Sep 3, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Pull the trigger and commit. You can still negotiate at the table for (possibly) a few hundred more as you are signing stuff. Just make sure you are daft and open with what you want. If they don’t budge, then it sounds like a pretty good deal anyways.

Look at chipping away at battery age, full tank of gas, fresh oil change, fresh other fluids, etc. That stuff adds up but is doable for them to make a sale.

When 1st Gens were for sale around here people were asking $15k. Nothings for sale right now though. Not even Sequoias.

abcinv likes this.
  14. Sep 3, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    Jk70

Jk70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I would have to look thoroughly again if I did pull the trigger. I couldn't find any rust the first time when under the truck. The only rust was on the bolts on the bed (going to be a major pain to replace) and apparently the previous owner never had a bedliner and threw whatever into the bed. Lots of scratches with some surface rust

15. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    ktundra

ktundra rust be damned

Member:
    First Name:
    Lex
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra DC Limited 4WD
    Bilstein 5100
    There's your negotiating chip. Tell him the rusty scratched up bed is a dealbreaker if he can't bring it down further!

FWIW, I recently picked up a 2006 Limited 4x4 Double Cab, 198k miles, for $6800. No readily noticeable signs of the timing belt being done. Mine certainly comes with rust, but there is no rust rot on the frame.

Good luck, you will find the 2006 to be a very good year, I especially like the rear roll down back window. Reminds me of the 4Runners with that feature.

16. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    Jk70

Jk70 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Unfortunately, this doesn't have the rear roll down window. I may get him to move lower but I don't think so on that piece. I already told him my reasons for offering 5500. He didn't even counter or say.."I could probably take $100 off." He did offer to throw in a 3 month 4500 miles warranty at no cost - that is all

I wish I could find a limited near me at that price with those miles. I have seen some online that look nice but they're 3+ hours away. If this was a brand new/close to new truck costing $40k then it's worth my time. Traveling 200 miles for a $5-7k vehicle to find out that a particular vehicle was never maintained or has a ton of rust is just not worth it. I have done that in the past for other vehicles and what a headache

17. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    ktundra

ktundra rust be damned

Member:
    First Name:
    Lex
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra DC Limited 4WD
    Bilstein 5100
    I hear you, I cast my net fairly wide at first, but decided to just stay within 100 miles from home. I have to say, it was really tempting while looking at those rust free trucks from Georgia and Arizona in the listings.

Jk70[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Its a gamble, but more than once when a dealer wouldn't budge i left them with my number and left. They call the next day.

Then again with covid the market seems unusually high lately.

ktundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top