1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The BETTER Light Bar Bracket - 42" Lower Grille bracket development thread

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by memario1214, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Nov 10, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    11/25 - Brackets and kits are NOW AVAILABLE!

https://hotshotoffroad.com/collecti...r-bracket-kit-the-better-bracket-14-21-tundra

This is the place where I will document our R&D/development of Hotshot Offroad's in-house 42" Diode Dynamics light bar brackets for the 2014-2021 Toyota Tundra. A current-state photo will headline this thread followed by the process in the area below.

Once testing and development is complete this will be available for sale!

Overview - Diode Dynamics produces high quality light bars (especially for the money) with a good warranty and great optics.

Problem
    - Many OEM's fitment brackets are prone to wobble and deflection. Their R&D process for many vehicle specific brackets unfortunately does not match the quality of the lighting products they are intended to hold.

Solution - Create a product which allows end users some adjustability of their light bar mounted in the lower grille area of specifically a 2014-21 Tundra while building the product to a quality standard which removes all (or at least MOST) vibration and deflection while in use.

CURRENT STATE - Hotshot Bracket V2
    IMG_8961.HEIC.jpg

OEM Diode Dynamics bracket for reference - This unit is known to wobble a lot over even the smallest of hits. We identified a few easy locations in which we were finding we could improve which will be discussed in the Hotshot V1 bracket.

IMG_8957.HEIC.jpg IMG_8958.HEIC.jpg

Hotshot Offroad V1 Bracket - We chose to directly address a couple of items on this first attempt:

1. Overall strength - The OEM bracket is built using very thin steel. We were able to bend the ~8" straight section of the bracket by hand with not a ton of effort. We chose to combat this in a couple of ways:
    • Thickness of steel used was increased by 20%. While it doesn't seem like a huge increase it adds a lot of strength into the overall system. Holding the brackets side-by-side on one's hand reveals a clear difference in heft.
    • Gusset Supports - An easily identifiable area of weakness is at the 90deg angle between the frame and light bar mounts. We chose to incorporate a gusset that runs approximately 85% of the way down the straight section of the long lead. This should greatly improve overall rigidity through the entire system as load is distributed back into frame-supported plate.
    2. Adjustability & Support of Light Bar - OEM bracket has a single point at the front of the bracket in which to affix the light bar. This would be fine... IF during normal driving conditions the light bar didn't want to point to the sky due to vibrations. Our adjustments:
    • Addition of rear bolt track - We're unsure if the threaded hole on the back of the light bar is there by necessity during manufacturing or what, but it is certainly not used by the DD team to mount their light bars. We have decided to leverage the additional hole to create both an adjustment "track" as well as provide an additional attachment point for the light bar to the reinforced bracket.
    3. Fit & Finish - The DD brackets unfortunately stick out past the bumper ever so slightly. We are thinking that this is to allow for people with shimmed out bumpers to still have a flush light bar... maybe? :notsure: Either way, we definitely don't like the look.
    • Single front mounting point - This location places the light bar slightly recessed and has the corners of the light bar meet at natural "corners" of the OEM bumper. While it doesn't appear that way at first glance the OEM front bumper is actually on a radius so recessing the light bar.

V1 Testing RESULTS - It is definitely more stable and secure than the DD brackets. No doubt about that. Still has a bit more deflection than we would like. I am going to assume that we will not be able to engineer out ALL vibration when someone is on a very washboard-ridden road, but we fully intend on this experiencing little to no movement when traversing most forest service roads, onto/off of bridges at highway speeds, etc.

Fitment and location of rear bolt track looks good. We are going to narrow the track just a tad.

Changes to make for V2 -

• Height adjustability - Feedback from early discussions indicate that some folks would like to be able to have the bar "floating" within the lower grille area. We will be planning on working some of those adjustments in.
    • Deflection defense - During testing we found there to still be some movement across the cross-section of the upper-most bolt where the bracket attaches to the frame.

IMG_8959.HEIC.jpg IMG_8960.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_7966.HEIC.jpg

V2 Bracket -

1 - Height Adjustability - There's 2 changes that were made here:
    • Slimming of final 2" of bracket - To allow for vertical mobility of the bracket we took out a small section of the last 1.5" of the bracket so that one could move the bracket up without having to clearance OEM bumper plastic. HOWEVER, my guy cut these brackets while we were away at SEMA and took the notch out of the BOTTOM of the bracket instead of the top :facepalm: :rofl:. We're going to test this set as-is to test if the thinner section up front and the other changes took to move us in the right direction instead of wasting the metal. Knowing that the cutout will need to be flipped on the next iteration.
    • Movement of bracket-frame holes. In the V1 bracket the light bar when nearly resting on the bumper has the bracket pushed up nearly as far as the slots will allow. We moved the cutout holes down 1/2" to allow for mobility within the entire mounting area.
    2 - Deflection Defense - We added additional material across the entire top of the bracket at the frame mount with the hope that having more material in-line with the load will be enough to quiet the little movement that we do have left. We're doing everything we can to avoid moving to a 2-piece design or adding more welds or labor intensive activities which would in-turn drive costs and the resultant price up.

3 - Angle Adjustment - A slight adjustment was made to the angle between the frame plate and the light bar arm to aid in mounting.

IMG_8961.HEIC.jpg IMG_8962.HEIC.jpg

SHOWING V2 to V3 mount hole adjustments (V2 bracket is inside of V3 leading to horizontal offset)

IMG_8963.HEIC.jpg

OEM vs Hotshot V1 vs Hotshot V2

IMG_8964.HEIC.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  2. Nov 10, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    Hell yeah!
    :spending:

memario1214[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 10, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    iantung

iantung Mods wouldn't be an issue if money wasn't.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra CM SR5
  4. Nov 10, 2022 at 1:00 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax

5. Nov 10, 2022 at 2:08 PM
    TFONG95

TFONG95 New Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Off Road
  6. Nov 10, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.5gen CM SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Looking forward to seeing the final product on my '16!

7. Nov 10, 2022 at 8:54 PM
    Rangergillikin

Rangergillikin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2021 magnetic grey TRD Pro Crew Max.
    TracRac bed rack, Retrax bedcover, Anytime forward facing camera, Rago dash mounting plate, changed all lights to LED with 1200lumen reverse light, added LED above tag reverse light, rear bumper step, Go Rhino step sides, CCM Cat Security Shield, tool mounts on bed rails, added tie down pad eye on bed rails.
    Looks like a great improvement to the original bracket. Nice job.

8. Nov 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Have you done any modal analysis? Aughtta get you pretty close before hitting a shaker table.

9. Nov 11, 2022 at 4:24 AM
    SR5BART

SR5BART New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bart
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TRDOR
    Looks like ill be buying this pretty soon!!

10. Nov 11, 2022 at 6:19 AM
    evanhauer

evanhauer Snow Chaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    VT
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Tundra CM SR5 TRD OR 4x4
    I will be first in line for this 100%.
    Got a general ETA? Is the final product able to be black?

memario1214[OP] and ryanwgregg like this.
  11. Nov 11, 2022 at 8:48 AM
    Beach Toy

Beach Toy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    SE NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4
    Not enough, apparently...yet. This damn forum...
    :spending:
    Will be watching for this to become available!

12. Nov 11, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Simply put... No. We're just some goons with a laser table, sheets of metal, a laser table, AND A DREAM. Our model has always been to over-engineer until it just works. We are using Fusion360 and I believe it does have those tools within in. We might try and mess with that a bit. Appreciate it! :cheers:
    General ETA we are shooting for will be to make them at least available for pre-order by BF weekend.

Final production of these will 100% be powdercoated black. We just aren't going to be putting finishing labor into them until we are happy with the design. :thumbsup:

13. Nov 11, 2022 at 1:32 PM
    Toe404

Toe404 just a poser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tomas
    Concord ,CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cavalry TRD Sport CM
    I’m interested as long as I can run these with my coach builder bumper spacers

14. Nov 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Do you have 1 or 2 spacers? I know that @TRDFerguson is running 2 spacers and the DD brackets, but I wouldn't recommend more than 1 spacer per side and our kit due to the length of the studs. We're working with thicker metal so she'd be CLOSE. If this is successful we did talk about making a spacer that has the light bar bracket built into it, but that's a down the road kind of thing. No promises

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  15. Nov 12, 2022 at 4:53 AM
    SnowSquach

SnowSquach New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    Wireless Charger Ride-Rite Airbags with Dynastar Cradles Westcott 1.5" Front Lift Coachbuilder +3 Shackles Gator Cover Swingbox Tailgate Power Lock
    Looking forward to it!

16. Nov 12, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    TRDFerguson

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    It’s definitely tight with the two shims and Diode bracket. I thought I had more threads in contact, but the flange nuts don’t start the threads for around 1/16 to 1/8 from the bottom and might be a little sketchy, especially with thicker brackets.

17. Nov 12, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I see the Diode Dynamics says you can use their bracket for either a 42" bar in place of the grille, or a 30" behind the grill. Will this be specific to one or the other?

18. Nov 12, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    TRDFerguson

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    This one is for the 42 only. Colton talked about potentially making one for the 30 later on in the other thread.

MedCityMoto[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 12, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Brilliant, being the one I'd want anyway!

20. Nov 12, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    PomDad

PomDad we having snacks?

Member:
    First Name:
    Conrad
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Limited
    Very cool - pretty please make a version of this for the 30" bar as well.

21. Nov 14, 2022 at 7:30 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    They have a single listing for their Tundra kits (which include both 30" and 42" versions). However, the actual brackets between the two light bar length options are actually entirely different mounts. Just wanted to make that clarification!
    If this is one is a successful project I'll certainly crack the seal on some different options for folks!

PomDad[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Nov 19, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Quick video update on how things are going. Apologies on the dirty windshield! This is the Hotshot Offroad V2 bracket and as you can see we have nearly no deflection of the light beam itself on the roadway ahead. It's snow covered and decently rough. Run to the end of the video for some rough railroad tracks!

The very hard hits have a tiny bit of deflection (which we expected), but I think getting good hardware and locking washers in there will further clean this up to squash everything else. The movement that we are experiencing would be zero on anything aside from the roughest roads so we're pretty happy with it! Making some quality of life adjustments to the brackets to allow them to sit against the frame a little better, and moving the notch to the proper side, but we should be ready for pre-orders this upcoming week!

Might even have a BF pre-order sale on them if you pick one up with a light bar (which also just may be on sale :cool:)

https://youtu.be/-vpUjit5e28

23. Nov 19, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    Thanks Colton, For keeping us updated on these brackets!!

24. Nov 20, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    evanhauer

evanhauer Snow Chaser

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    VT
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Tundra CM SR5 TRD OR 4x4
    In Vermont we just call those “roads” :bikewhoops:
    Should be a good test out here and I’d be happy to let you know how they do for constructive feedback if helpful.

At any rate - with all the effort you’ve put into stabilization considerations, I feel like these brackets are my best bet, I am psyched!:santa2:

RusPro21 likes this.
  25. Nov 20, 2022 at 12:51 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    :rofl: Heard that!

I don't "think" we'll do a formal customer prototype since we have a good test subject to work off of and make changes in real time, but I can tell you that if you're an early adopter you'll be able to get the brackets at a reduced rate as we'll plan to discount them during that period. I'll just say this... I actually am really happy about the direction we're heading here on this, and know that anyone else who runs this will be too.

SnowSquach and evanhauer[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Nov 20, 2022 at 9:04 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    For those of you who want to bundle the light bar (which we just announced will be 30% off till 12/2) we're planning on opening up pre-orders for both of them here this week! Keep your eyes peeled, and we'll post up in here as well!

RusPro21, SnowSquach and MedCityMoto like this.
  27. Nov 20, 2022 at 10:17 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grumble, I just paid my credit card off too, oh well!

28. Nov 21, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    Toe404

Toe404 just a poser

Member:
    First Name:
    Tomas
    Concord ,CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cavalry TRD Sport CM
    Any idea on pricing? I really wanna jump on the Black Friday deal for the 42” combo in amber and I’d love to get the upgraded bracket

RusPro21 likes this.
  29. Nov 21, 2022 at 9:54 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Everyone with cash in hand like

30. Nov 22, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    Punching up a full update now on these - In true novel fashion. :cool: KEEP YOUR EYES RIGHT HERE as the updates will be flowing today!

[​IMG]

Toe404[QUOTED] and TRDFerguson like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top