1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Build Plan Critique - give me your $0.02 worth

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jimmyz, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    jimmyz

jimmyz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Interior of BC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited Wind Chill Hybrid Crewmax
    I have done a lot of reading on here and wouldn't mind some input on the final choices for my new build. I have a '19 Platinum crewmax incoming to replace my '14 1794 crewmax. The '14 was on spacers front and rear from the previous owner and actually worked not bad on the street. I plan to do more offroad travel now that the family is growing up a bit.

The overall goal is a capable tundra but not too extreme as it is my daily driver and family road trip rig (2 kids, wife and Rhodesian Ridgeback).

The budget is not fixed and I want to do it right the first time. Reliability is #1. Ability to evolve the build as needs change would be good too. I could see adding a roof top tent in the future and some mild towing of an RV trailer and light fishing boat could happen.

I want good performance from the mods, but don't need to chase the last 5-10% of performance down a dark rabbit hole of spending. I took previous tacomas and a subaru sti build to a "stage 2 plus" rather than maximum performance just shy of detonation.

I live in a snowy climate with brine on the roads in wintertime so corrosion is a mild concern.

I have made the following choices:

Front and rear shocks. Elka 2.5 IFP front and rear.
    -should I add at least front reservoirs here?
    -Trying to contain costs and I think the non-resy shock be more that capable for what I will be doing...

SPC UCA's

Method 314 wheels. A tire in the 34 x 11.5 inch range will be the target.

Rear suspension is where I am having a tough choice:
    -should I just lift the front and call it a day for now as the factory leafs are brand new? Then I could continue the build down the road as needed
    -I am also considering the Icon add a leaf pack or just going to OME dakar pack and get 'er done.

Thanks for any input!

2. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    Looks good. I would keep rear end stock, maybe some shackles for now and then upgrade when needed.

Whatever tire you choose, id look for a 3 mountain peak rated tire. Falken at3w comes in the size you're looking for as well.

3. Oct 17, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    I like the choices. I'd probably do the Icon rear leafs. The most important question - Will my Ridgeback think it's cool?

4. Oct 24, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    codename607

codename607 New Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra / 2024 Tundra
    I would keep the rear stock for now. Sounds like you have plans down the road to add extra gear, which will be more weight. With that being in mind you should wait until the truck is dialed in a litter more before you start adding rear suspension. Without any gear in the rear your truck will likely ride stiff. I have a FourWheelCamper mounted in the back of mine with a 2" block and it actually rides really good. The point of that is the stock stuff works good.

5. Oct 24, 2019 at 1:39 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I have bilstein 6112/5160s and cb +2 shackles with nitto 34x11.50 tires. Whole setup isn’t expensive and gets me where I need to go. If you have more to spend, look at icon/king/fox.

6. Oct 31, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    jimmyz

jimmyz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Interior of BC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited Wind Chill Hybrid Crewmax
    thanks for the replies!

Products Discussed in

To Top