1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Build and Price App on Toyota.com

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 200k, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Dec 24, 2020 at 8:24 AM

200k [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, current owner of 2017 4runner, past owner of Toyota Tacoma. I am trying to purchase a 2021 tundra. I used the build and price app on Toyota.com website to build the Tundra I want to purchase and sent the information to my local Toyota dealer in Bowie Md. They don't have any Tundra's in stock. this was the response:

George,

I just spoke with my Inventory manager, and took her a print out of the truck you sent me.
    Basically the way it works is we have to request it from Toyota Corporate. There are no guarantees that they will grant our request, and we wont know anything until we get an update on upcoming shipments. But we have the exact particulars of the truck, and now we wait to see if Toyota will send us one.
    I can absolutely keep you updated, but I want to make sure that you know that it is not a quick process.

Has anyone successfully used the tool to buy a Tundra? Have contact information at Toyota Sales above the dealer level?

A quick summary of the order Tundra SR5, long bed, TRD package (SR5 Grade) remote tail lock.

Thanks George

2. Dec 24, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    xJuice

xJuice This guy...

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '19 MGM DC SR5 4.6 TSS
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Unfortunately that's how Toyota works. Pick one off the lot or wait for Toyota to allocate your Dealership the one you want. The long bed is probably the least produced configuration, so he's right, it could take a while.

3. Dec 24, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    My opinion is Toyota is more loyal to local dealers than other OEMs, and does not itemize all existing inventory, which prevents you from shopping around yourself. You can try CarGurus or AutoTrader, but I'm thinking the dealer's inventory manager has better tools than that.

Your dealer has essentially told you that his inventory manager looked for what you specified, and did not find it to exist. I believe he's telling you he can try to order what you want from the factory, but like everything else in 2020, has no idea if it will happen. In other words, you can pay your deposit, and take your chances.

You've got a 2017 4Runner, and don't appear to need an immediate replacement vehicle. In your place, I would continue waiting on 2020 to go away, and be ready to order what I wanted in the 2022 model. Unless...your intent is to buy one of the last big, powerful, gas hog V8 Tundras. Might already be too late to get exactly what you want in that. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top