1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brush gaurd recommendation

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by tundraatx, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    tundraatx

tundraatx [OP] 2008 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    What brush guard do yall recommend for 2008 tundra?

2. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Can't go wrong with Ranch Hand

3. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  4. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I had a Ranch Hand on my RCSB, great for a Tundra with a longer wheelbase - not so great for the RCSB.

IMG_1206.jpg

Mountun Goat and tundraatx[OP] like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Maxi13

Maxi13 GuttenTight

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Sr5 TRD OR
    Nudding yet
    Westin HXD

Mountun Goat and tundraatx[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 8, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    looking at this ranch hand. https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fst07hbl1.html

S
    ays excludes limited and there’s a note:

*NOTE: Limited requires cut on plastic bumper, Regular, Double Cab, Crew Max*

doesnt look like it still work? Emailed ranchhand to double check

7. Oct 8, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Do you have sensors up front?

8. Oct 9, 2020 at 1:34 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Damage Multipliers - couple of my friends know first hand why they're called that....

9. Oct 9, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    no nothing beeps at me

10. Oct 9, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Was looking at your avatar pic, that black spot

11. Oct 10, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Go with the legend series, instead full bumper replacement

12. Oct 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was planning on doing, although not gonna lie, I want to see if this is just a special welding modification requirement to get it to work with the full bumper and brushgaurd. There's a truck shop in Austin called http://spillarhitches.com/truck_accessories.htm that I will be calling on Monday to find out.

What I don't understand is why the bumper isn't compatible with the limited models?

13. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Called Ranchhand they said there would be a big gap and I’d have to trim the grill down. Sounded too $$$ so guard only it is.

14. Oct 14, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    Maxi13

Maxi13 GuttenTight

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Sr5 TRD OR
    Nudding yet
    Westin HDX don't have to trim bumper or lose tow hooks or oem skid plate. Getting one installed on my limited next week.

15. Oct 15, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Found out there's a full bumper replacement option by TrailFX. here. It lists it's compatible with Limited model, but it interferes with sensors. The only sensor I'd worry about is the Cruise Control b/c I don't use any other. I have a aftermarket backup camera in back.
    • 2008 Toyota Tundra LimitedInstallation Will Interfere With Bumper Sensors Such As Parking, Proximity, Laser Brake, Lane Keep Assist, Camera, and Cruise Control Sensors
    Calling TrailFX to see if they can tell me what kind of interference there talking about with cruise control, would hate to lose that. What the heck is laser brake? Googling yielded no matches on this. Will ask them about that too.

Not sure what kind of modifications would be required to ensure all the sensors to work, but it seems risky unless someone has done this before.

16. Oct 16, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Alright, after talking to Toyota service department and Truckfitters up in Georgetown, I feel confident moving forward with the Ranchhand Summit full bumper and guard. https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fst07hbl1.html

My Tundra has the front parking sensors, which I don’t use, no front cameras, no adaptive cruise control, and no collission prevention system. That’s all good, so nothing will not work after this. Truckfitters said they will trim from the line going across the bumper above the foglights effectively cutting the bumper bottom off. The SR5s don’t need this mod done b/c the bumpers come in 2 pieces. Anyhow the tech was very knowleadgeable and has done years of mods and replacements like this. Scheduled for next week to get everything done and installed.

One thing I wanted to mention, I spoke to three different shops and what it boiled down to was having a shop who specializes in modifications and aren’t afraid of liability. Ranch Hand says the limited trim is excluded b/c they don’t want the liability of having to chop the bummper down. Just pickup the phone and call people to get answers. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, it was well-worth all of the effort.

6109b9b9-1d09-412a-83e4-ff1ce869d765.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    kda339 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top