1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Sway Bar Links, MOOG K90680 vs. K90681 Replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jv2000, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    jv2000

jv2000 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was changing out my brake discs and pads recently and when I got the wheel off on the driver's side I noticed this:

[​IMG]

Sway bar link top bolt sheared completely off. My Tundra is almost 12 years old and I think due to rust I've just reached the useful service life of these links. It seems like a lot of others have experienced the same problem on their 1st Gen Tundras and Sequoias too.

In looking for a replacement links I came across the MOOG links, and the 2 options of the K90680 and K90681 ... with the only difference being that the K90680 is a direct stock length replacement (see below) and the K90681 is 1/4 inch longer and intended for off-road suspensions (now I read that to be SR5 or aftermarket lifted ... but I'm not 100% sure).

In my case I have stock front end with no lift, so I opted to get the K90680 ... here are some pics and install notes, hopefullly this will help somebody that needs to replace or update theirs:

Here is the MOOG K90680:

[​IMG]

Comparing it to the old stock bar links, pretty much exactly the same length, note the washer caps are a lot smaller:

[​IMG]

And finally, installed:

[​IMG]

Installation was pretty straight forward ... the torque spec per the manufacturer is 14 ft lbs for the top bolt with rubber bushings and 51 ft lbs for the lower elbow bolt.

Getting the old links off can be challenging and is probably the hardest part of the job ... I cut them off with a hack saw but if you have a cut off tool you can make short work of them. Note that on my stock links on the lower bolt there is a hex end in the bolt that you can use to keep the bolt from spinning when trying to loosen. In my case even using that the hex stripped out because the bolt was too rusted, even using a healthy dose of PB Blaster, so after loosening a bit I cut them off.

Once the new ones are installed you can use a grease gun to grease up the lower ends using the zerk which is a feature of these links that the old stock ones didn't have.

Anyway, that's about it. I'll report back if I ever have a problem with these links.

CaptTyler likes this.
  2. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Welcome and nice job! Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what did the new parts cost and where did you get them?

3. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    jv2000

jv2000 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I got these on Amazon - MOOG K90680 for about $35/each. That's a little spendy as far these go as you can get more generic ones at your local Autozone/O'Reilly/Napa for around $25 ... but those stores also have sway bar links that are good deal more than that. Not sure what the dealer charges for the stock links, but I would guess more than $35 :)

RowdyRon likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:50 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Thanks for the info.

To Top