1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Pulsing and other things

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by mahuska, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    mahuska

mahuska [OP] New Member

Member:
    I recently bought a 2007 SCLB v6. The brakes grabbed a bit when test driving it, but nothing bad. I drove it the 100 miles home and the problem seemed worse. I don't really feel it in in the steering so was thinking it must be a warped rear rotor. I took it to a local shop that I trust and they said that it needed new rotors and callipers. They also said that the U-joints were all bad and gave a quote of $1400 to do the work. I elected to do the work myself. The e-Brake system needed work also and the backing plates had holes from what I now know are the rotor edges grinding through them. Also, the dust shields were bent and cracked from being so rusted. One E-Brake cable mount boss was broken.

Parts replaced:
    Rotors - Gen Toyota
    Callipers - New Raybestos
    Pads - Wagner
    E-Brake shoes - Beck Arnley
    E-Brake shoe hardware - Beck Arnley
    Right E-Brake cable
    E-Brake yoke assembly - Gen Toyota

Everything works but still have the same pulsing and now a pronounced grinding/scraping turning corners (i know, see TB) and light sound going straight.

2. Oct 8, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Toyotamastertech123

Toyotamastertech123 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 tundra crewmax Texas edition
    Possibly bad wheel bearing? Based on your description that what it sounds like. If you turn left or right it gets louder?

3. Oct 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    mahuska

mahuska [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes, maybe. Yes, but not consistently loud.

But why would it pulse or shudder in time with the revolution of the wheel going in a straight line? I don't know what bad bearing runout feels like but when it was all apart there didn't seem to any play in or out along the axis of the axle. One thing I did not check was run out of the hub face (end of the axle?) to see if it was warped. Also, the new calipers where at the end of there travel on the pins when the pads where installed

4. Oct 9, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Toyotamastertech123

Toyotamastertech123 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 tundra crewmax Texas edition
    is the vehicle 2wd?? Take the brake calipers off and the rotor off and spin the hub by itself by hand lots of bad bearings can be felt this way. If it's 4wd then you will have to remove the axle from the hub for this test. Toyota bearings usually don't have play like domestics when they go bad.also something else to check if the vehicle is 4wd does the noise go away or get worse in 4wd?

5. Oct 9, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    mahuska

mahuska [OP] New Member

Member:
    It is a two-wheel drive. I did this and didn't find anything unusual. There did not see to be any play up/down left/right or in/out. I didn't feel any roughness or brinelling. So a bad bearing can cause this grabbing of the brakes?

Products Discussed in

To Top