1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake pedal goes to floor on hard braking

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by baltimorebirds2, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Mar 31, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    baltimorebirds2

baltimorebirds2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Access Cab LTD 4x4 Salsa Red (TOTALED)
    Hey everyone, I’ve been having an issue where the brake pedal goes to the floor on emergency braking. For example, a rabbit ran across the road and so I had to put the pedal to the metal to stop right? It was unusual because after a few seconds I thought I felt the pedal completely bottomed out on the floor. Now let me clarify, the pedal doesn’t sink to the floor on normal braking or anything. If I’m slowing down gradually, it’s a lot better. I just notice the pedal seems to dive into its travel and bottom out at times on hard emergency braking. Is this normal for first gens, because I’ve heard some mixed things on their brakes. Also I should probably note that there aren’t any visible leaks, and the brake fluid reservoir has stayed the same. The brake fluid is a little grayish, but I wouldn’t think it would cause a problem like this. Any ideas of what I should look at first? Anyone else have this kind of issue with their brakes? Also feel free to ask me any other questions concerning it, because I probably forgot something. Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 31, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Leak in abs module or bad brake booster?

3. Mar 31, 2021 at 8:22 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
  4. Mar 31, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Vacuum leak at the booster? Air in the brake lines? When's the last time the brake system was flushed with new fluid? Is the braking system in good order? Rear brakes adjusted? Time to do a thorough inspection and adjustment of the brakes. I wouldn't drive it if I were you until I did, next time it could be a semi that jumps out in front of you.

P.S. Brake fluid SHOUL NOT be grey. At all. It looks almost clear when new, maybe a little honey color to it.

5. Mar 31, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    It really sounds to me like you have air in the system. I would start with bleeding the brakes. I would use a turkey baster or syringe to pull old fluid out of the reservoir, replace with new fluid and start bleeding it. Don't forget the load valve. After thats done, I would find a gravel or dirt road and do the up to 20mph and slam on brakes routine a dozen times, then go bleed the brakes again.

If that doesn't help, start checking the whole system. Check that rear brakes are functioning properly and are adjusted. Check if you have brake fluid leaking anywhere. Check if there is material left on your pads up front.

If all that is okay, lookup how to check your brake booster and master cylinder. Usually if your booster goes bad it becomes really hard to stop, but your pedal shouldn't hit the floor. It would just feel like your brakes are not working and the pedal is hard to push. I

6. Mar 31, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Ye. I’ve read air can infiltrate via old rubber hoses (permeable) and/or around rusty/crusty bleeder valves.

7. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    baltimorebirds2

baltimorebirds2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Access Cab LTD 4x4 Salsa Red (TOTALED)
    Thanks for everything so far guys. I too happen to think it might be air in the lines too. I mean if I let off and pump the brake like once, I feel like the pedal is the slightest bit firmer. As for when the brake fluid was last changed, I don’t really know since I don’t have a record of any brake fluid flush from the P.O. Have only had the truck for 6 months. Only have a receipt for pads several years ago so am not really sure about the fluid. Rears seem to be adjusted fine since parking brake works pretty well and is able to hold truck in place on a steep hill in drive. I had the wheels off and the calipers appeared with no leaks, and the pads were probably at about half thickness. No other leaks I remember seeing when I was last under there last, but might not be a bad idea to check again. Fluid level hasn’t gone down visibly. Hope that isn’t too much info i threw at you guys at once lol.

8. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Air in the system or a failing master cylinder would be my bet

9. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    Retroboy1989

Retroboy1989 'Course it's 4x4!

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD OR Barcelona
    Snug top 20" TRD Sport wheels 275/60R20 Tires Additional Trans Cooler
    Do you mean literally to the floor? Or does it just feel that way because the pedal falls more than you think it should based on your applied pressure?

I've noticed this happen in my '14 sienna over the years during a quick stop. I haven't owned my tundra long enough to notice it at all. However, I read this in my tundra owners manual.

■ Brake Assist
    Generates an increased level of braking force after the brake pedal is
    depressed, when the system detects a panic stop situation.

I think it uses the ABS system to apply the brakes when you hit them hard and fast.

Like I said, I've never felt it in the Tundra, but I've felt in the Sienna a few times. It is kind of unnerving when the pedal goes light, but thr braking force is undeniable.

Edit: I'm not saying nothing is wrong with your truck, but if your casual braking is normal, I am curious if this is applicable.

empty_lord likes this.
  10. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    while this is true for the newer toyotas, he has a 2004. brake assist is a relatively new thing for toyota

11. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:50 PM
    Retroboy1989

Retroboy1989 'Course it's 4x4!

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4x4 5.7 SR5 TRD OR Barcelona
    Snug top 20" TRD Sport wheels 275/60R20 Tires Additional Trans Cooler
    Oh man, I've crossed borders without realizing it. Carry on.

12. Mar 31, 2021 at 10:02 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    All good man! Lol

Tundra2 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top