1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake pad and rotor replacement

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by zilla_lou, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mar 4, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    zilla_lou

zilla_lou [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7L 4X4
    AEM intake, Muffler delete
    I am going to be replacing all my brake pads and rotors with slotted/drilled ones. My question is when I get to the rear rotors and pads is it necessary to bleed them to push the piston back? I have seen a few videos and some bleed it and some don't? To be honest I don't want to bleed them for fear of getting air in the line. What do you all think?

2. Mar 4, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    You should be flushing and bleeding your brake system every 2-3 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water out of humid atmosphere. That water causes rust and crud in your cast iron MC and calipers that will wear out your seals and score the bores. Brake maintenance will be less expensive if you maintain your system preventatively, i.e. regularly flush, refill with fresh fluid, bleed. Bleeding is not rocket science (see youTube)...just BE SURE that the level in the MC reservoir NEVER falls below the ADD mark.

Addressing your specific question, the caliper pistons will have to be forced back into the calipers with a clamp tool or a heavy screwdriver between the old rotor and pad in order to insert the new thicker pads. This in itself will not require bleeding, but you should certainly flush and bleed after the pads have been replaced for the reason given above. If you have ever added brake fluid to the MC reservoir to maintain the level at "normal", then you may overflow the reservoir when the pistons are retracted, so keep an eye on your MC reservoir.

rons23, zilla_lou[OP] and kstateskier like this.
  3. Mar 4, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    @zilla_lou, you shouldn't have to break that line to change our rotors and pads on rear . It's easier for the front's. Good luck

zilla_lou[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 4, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    zilla_lou

zilla_lou [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7L 4X4
    AEM intake, Muffler delete
    @JohnLakeman, thanks for the advise. My truck currently is sitting at 72k miles I just figured I would get the flush done at 100k miles when I replace the timing chain and do a full service and flush all fluids and replace.

5. Mar 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Make sure your reservoir has not been topped off prior to pushing piston back. If completely full then fluid will be forced out into engine bay and onto ground.

As mentioned shouldn't have to bleed to replace pads.

zilla_lou[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    You don’t just replace the timing chain...maybe you mean serpentine belt...

Products Discussed in

To Top