1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake help requested

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Tuthmose, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Aug 29, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Rock Warrior Crewmax 5.7L 4x4
    Hey all,

I could really use some troubleshooting help/advice.

My rear brakes were shot, so I replaced the pads and rotors. I bought a set of Stoptech slotted rotors and pads to do the job. Everything went smoothly, coming apart and going back together . . . until I took it for a drive.

Both rear wheels are dragging, making a moderately loud, raspy "wisk-wisk-wisk-wisk" noise. Can't feel it, but you sure can hear it! I took it down the street, did the usual drive-and-stop to bed them in, but it didn't change. The noise appears to be coming from both rear sides evenly. The fronts are quiet and work fine, so I don't think it is a master cylinder issue. I adjusted the parking brake star wheel properly after replacing the rotor but before doing the pads, and they rotated freely and without any noise before I proceeded, so I can't imagine that's it either.

Are my calipers shot? They both retracted without too much pressure when I did the brake job, and I saw no leaks or damaged boots . . . but I guess they still could be bad? Any other ideas on what is causing this?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Aug 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    Dust shield rubbing against the rotor

3. Aug 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Huh. Honestly never thought of that. Why would that happen, especially on both sides? The sound is not at all metallic . . . but I'm going to go outside and check it out. I'll update when I get back.

4. Aug 29, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Nope, that's not it. Plenty of clearance all around; I used a problem to "feel" around the rear of the rotors, and there is plenty of space there too. :-(

5. Aug 29, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    Usually the dust shield is the culprit, i guess you're unlucky then. How about when you removed the rear rotors, did they come off easy? Sometimes you can stretch the 2 springs holding the parking brake shoes and they'll rub against the wheel stud's rear butt.

6. Aug 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Rotors came off without a hitch - I used the two tapped holes in the old rotors with a pair of bolts to break it loose. The parking brakes are in good shape too; no visible damage or play, adjuster works fine.

7. Aug 29, 2020 at 8:06 PM
    Jwood562

Jwood562 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4x4
    3" Suspension lift 18" method roost 35x12.5x18 ridge grapplers 2020 sequoia LED headlights
    Does your whisk sound increase with vehicle speed?

if it does it something rotational.

I would say take them down and re-install again. Could be a bad brake pad clip allowing the Pad to be loose and “flop” hitting the rotor as it rotates.

my other thought would be the rotors not seated completely flat and doing the same thing, hitting the pads or even the ebrake hardware.

8. Aug 30, 2020 at 4:31 AM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    That, sadly, is today's plan. It *is* clearly rotational, due to the sound profile. Everything looked perfect when I reassembled, but any of those things could be the case, I guess. FXFormat may be correct too - it could be some kind of dust shield shenanigans way behind the rotor, where I cannot detect it with the wheel on. I'll post an update later.

9. Aug 30, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Double check the dust shield - even if it doesn’t “feel” like it’s touching the rotor as sometimes it can ever so slightly touch and make noise - happens to me quiet often on brake jobs.

10. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    Good luck, i'm curious of what it could be too.

11. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    triharder

triharder Sorry, Not Sorry

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    Your dust shield is absolutely hitting the rotor (i'd bet anything on it). Take the rotor off and check the inner diameter of the rotor. It hits the inner dust seal flange. I"ll find an image.

I spent last Saturday cutting the lip off the rotor (i can't recommend cutting a brake rotor) but that's what i did to fix it. Or you can pay $800 bucks in parts to have the bearings pushed out of the way. Lots of people just drive it that way until the rotor cuts a hole in the brake dust shield.

My issue was causing this: https://www.tundras.com/threads/new-problem.49282/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/changed-rears-to-powerstop-and-now.54775/#post-1435791

check last post for where you rubbing is coming from.

Hope this helps. My solution was to cut that lip with the grinder. Shouldn't have to do that but that's what i did. (made more sense than 800 bucks for bearings that aren't bad)
    [​IMG]

Tuthmose[OP] likes this.
  12. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Really common issue (there’s a TSB for changing the backing plates and everything but $$$) what I do at work is cut the lip of the rotor down on the brake lathe.

13. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    so are the tolerances on the aftermarket brake rotors the problem? Would going OEM fix this issue? Just trying to understand why the ones i took off the truck didn't require this modification.

14. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Oem Toyota do it too.

15. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    This is the TSB for the brake noise way more work than just cutting the lip down a bit. not to mention way more expensive

Attached Files:

16. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    yeah, Roman was kind enough to verify the TSB parts include new dust shields.
    I just can't bring myself to replace wheel bearings that aren't bad to make a noise go away. And the money for parts (even doing work myself) seems way out of the ball park to make sense (600 ~700 in bearing parts, then another 50 to 60 per rotor to replace those). Crazy

17. Aug 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    joesTundra

joesTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2018, Toyota Tundra Limited, TRD 4x4 off road
    You may have to turn the rotors at a automotive machine shop or at lease measure the runout, Also check to make sure your shoes are and calipers working properly. you should be able to move caliper by hand. good luck use a air hose to work the caliper in and out

18. Aug 30, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Try to drive it some more. Mine did that when I replaced my rear pads and rotors for a few days then went away on its own. I assumed it was the dust shields rubbing something and then they straightened out.

19. Aug 30, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Jwood562

Jwood562 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4x4
    3" Suspension lift 18" method roost 35x12.5x18 ridge grapplers 2020 sequoia LED headlights
    Wow I had no idea this was a common issue. I can personally vouch for the brembo rear kit had zero issues and no noise. A little extra brake dust from the brembo pads though

20. Aug 30, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    not all trucks exhibit the issue. but alot do.

21. Sep 1, 2020 at 3:22 AM
    Jon1979

Jon1979 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Gray Tundra SR5 4.6L V8
    I had the exact same thing on my rear brakes. I had originally put Detroit slotted rotors on and they dragged and squealed. I must have pulled the rear apart 4 times that day.
    I did find out the parking brake tensioner under the drivers side was frozen. I freed and oiled that up and I sent through the steps to adjust the parking brakes. That fixed the grinding but not the metallic noise. I did see the wear in my dust shield and I ended up getting a new set of premium coated rotors from CARQUEST. They did rub the dust shield slightly but it went away after a day. I knew better than to buy the cheap rotors but I did it anyways.

22. Sep 1, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Its not price, oem rotors do it tii

23. Sep 1, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    @Tuthmose, if it does it when rotating by hand, can you post a video so that we can hear it? As mentioned, it is common, but not all trucks will do it. I have StopTechs on mine and no rubbing on the shields. Keep in mind that even if it appears that you have clearance, metal expands and contracts with heat and cooling.

Hey guys....it has been a while, but if he hears it by hand, can the shield be unbolted and slid back away from the rotor and see if the noise is still there?

Another option.....put a couple of chalk lines across your emergency brake pads. Put your rotor on and use to 2 lugs to hold it on. Turn the rotor by hand a few times and then pull it off and see if it rubbed the chalk lines. Could be just needing an adjustment.

24. Sep 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to disappear everybody. The demands of getting a distance-learning studio set up and running in my basement with our school division changing the mission every six seconds left my truck sitting for a while. Only upside, I guess, was that I didn't have to commute.

I got a chance to tear it back down today . . . and I am not a happy camper. Triharder was absolutely correct: the grinding is the apparently well-known-to-everybody-but-me problem with the emergency brake backing plates.

My driver side:

My passenger side:

They can't be replaced without removing the axles, so it's gonna be very spendy. That's not a job I can do myself.

I'm strongly considering doing what Triharder did, and just cutting that crescent of the lip off with a grinder. Does anybody else see any unanticipated issues or dangers with that?

Thank you to all who responded - as always, I appreciate the help!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  25. Sep 20, 2020 at 9:32 AM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Went out this morning and ground off those two crescents. A tight curve to avoid hitting the e-brake pads, but between hogging off the lip with an angle grinder and then doing the inner curve with a dremel die cutter, it's not too bad. It definitely helped that a large part of it was cut through already. A bit of rub on the passenger side at 4 o'clock, but I tapped that back with a punch and hammer. Holding the rotor in place by hand and turning it, I hear just the tiniest bit of drag, which I assume (hope?) will go away after a short drive smooths out the edges of my cuts.

I'm going to get it fixed with the new-design parts from the TSB, but at least this should get me back on the road in the short term. Finger's crossed . . . .

26. Sep 20, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Dorks68

Dorks68 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2010 Rock Warrior
    I went through this exact same scenario recently. Took it all apart multiple times. Lots of cutting, grinding, banging and swearing. Doesn’t make a sound now though!

27. Sep 20, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Stepra0617

Stepra0617 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OFF-ROAD
    I just lived through this same scenario last 2 days. Took the wheel/calipers off probably no less than 5-7 times to figure this out. I ended up taking hammer to the shield and bending it in. Worked out good. No noises!! Btw I can replace rear brakes and parking shoes in less than 7 minutes per side :)

BarkKnight and Dorks68 like this.
  28. Sep 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Still frustrated me this isn.t covered in a recall or at least parts under $700 bucks.

Tuthmose[OP] likes this.
  29. Sep 20, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    Jwood562

Jwood562 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4x4
    This has me thinking.
    So if I took my truck to the dealership for rear pads and rotors and it squeaked, Like this, what would their fix be?

Any Toyota techs here?

30. Sep 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    I cut the inner lip of the new rotor down just a hair on the brake lathe.

Products Discussed in

To Top