1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake grinding

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by RR60, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Dec 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed
    Feel free to tell me if I am out of line here.

Usually I am posting about my 2003 Tundra here . But this question is about my car. I am out of town right now. And a little worried about this before driving 10 hours back home.

And since always seem to get good advice on this forum figured would not hurt to ask. Since I am guessing caliper are calipers.

First thing baking out of drive. I had a terrible grinding noise in front drivers side when I hit the brakes. About as bad as if you ran over a gallon paint can and was dragging it along.
    Drove another block. Hit the brakes and the same thing. Went back to where I was staying and just parked the car.

Next morning everything was fine. Tried some aggressive driving and braking everything seems fine. From what I read it could have been as simple as a rock in the caliper. But I also read it could be a loose caliper bolt or spring. And I should have it checked out before the long trip home.
    Appreciate any opinions. Seems now everything is fine but concerned I could be stuck in the middle of nowhere if it could happen again.

2. Dec 11, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    To be blunt, brakes aren’t something you should gamble on. It’s super simple to pull off the wheel and take a peek.

At a glance, sounds like a caliper could be sticking and wore one side is the pad to nothing.

Pucks18, bassman417 and Sunnier like this.
  3. Dec 14, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    +1

Products Discussed in

To Top