1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake fluid replacement is not in owners manual

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Melancholy Bear, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Feb 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    Melancholy Bear

Melancholy Bear [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR 4WD
    Our 2016 Tundra we just got has 66k miles and I'm guessing has not had new brake fluid. The owner's manual doesn't seem to discuss when to replace it. Would you recommend just doing it now? Is it pretty straight forward?

2. Feb 2, 2021 at 6:19 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Yeah, only mentions brake fluid can absorb moisture from the air and that can cause dangerous loss of braking ability.

I would take that to mean, replace it regularly, though the vast majority of folks never do.

Usually in other auto manuals, it is recommended to replace every 2 years.

Basically, bleed the brakes. Replacing with a full synthetic fluid will allow longer intervals because it absorbs less moisture than dino fluid.

3. Feb 2, 2021 at 6:47 PM
    Melancholy Bear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR 4WD
    Copy that. Is FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3 a special kind of DOT-3 brake fluid? Any idea how many fl.oz. it takes?

4. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    All DOT3 brake fluid meets or exceeds DOT3 (Department of Transportation) specification. DOT3 is synthetic. It's a chemical compound called diethylene glycol (DEG), and it absorbs water. Nothing can done about that...that's why it has to be changed. Brake fluid is cheap; I would buy two quarts. If you don't open the second quart, take it back.

Have you bled automotive brakes before? If you have, it's straight forward. If you haven't, you'll need training. If you allow the master cylinder reservoir level to get too low, and air gets into the system from the master cylinder, it will be a professional-level challenge to get the air out of the system. Many Gen3 Tundra owners have ended up with "soft pedal" after DIY brake work.

5. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    The only time I have ever replaced brake fluid is when putting in a new master cylinder. I have owned several vehicles with well over 100k and 5 to 10 years old and never experienced loss of braking.

Melancholy Bear[OP] and equin like this.
  6. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Toyota service told me brake fluid change is usually at 70k fluid/lube service

Melancholy Bear[OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:15 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I would agree with the 70k interval... I fell under the ignore it setting although I did bleed the S out the brakes when I changed brake pads... there is a picture of my brake fluid somewhere on here about how dark it was... after like 100k miles from a previous little brake accident...

8. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Technically the industry standard is every 3 years... but honestly... I only touch my brake fluid if it’s dark or I’m doing a caliper.

9. Feb 2, 2021 at 11:07 PM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    They told me to change mine when I was at the dealership for my 60k blue service.

I did it myself at around 50k
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/flyinryank’s-white-15-cm-build.19063/page-2#post-1666811

10. Feb 2, 2021 at 11:15 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Since the reservoir cover is air tight and it’s a closed system, how does moisture get in? Just wondering

11. Feb 3, 2021 at 4:26 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    All brake fluid systems are vented to allow for pad wear.

Brake fluid absorbs water and when the concentration gets high enough, parts of the brake system (abs, calipers) will corrode. If you're unwilling to flush the system then at least suck out what's in the reservoir and replace that....it's easy.

12. Feb 3, 2021 at 4:54 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    As @empty_lord said, proper brake fluid change interval should be time-based, not mileage-based. Any change interval recommendation of 60K-70K miles per year assumes about 15K-20K annual miles for an average driver. Absorption of water by brake fluid depends on the exposure time. If you put 2500 miles a year on your truck, you wouldn't change the brake fluid for 24+ years. Once you've seen the effects on a neglected 20 year-old system, you understand.

The problem with never replacing brake fluid is system corrosion. You won't observe any change, except maybe some darkening, in five years. But, if you restore classic cars that have been neglected, you see the damage. In older cars, master cylinders and calipers are replaced more often for damage caused by corrosion than from normal wear. Corrosion makes a black sludge that wears/tears the seals, and scores the cylinder bores. If you don't keep your vehicles long (<10 years), then changing brake fluid will not be a high priority for you.

13. Feb 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    I have a 94 Nissan hardbody that I'm pretty sure has the same fluid that came in it.
    Maybe I should check it.

14. Feb 3, 2021 at 5:00 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    That’s a job I’m always willing to pay the dealer to do...hate bleeding brakes and yes I have the Motive Power bleeder but it is still messy and a total pain in the ass.

15. Feb 3, 2021 at 5:10 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    If your hardbody has ever had any brake work, then it probably doesn't have the original fluid.

Also as said above, as the pads wear, you have to add fresh fluid to maintain the MC level. And, when the pads are replaced, bleeding purges the old fluid. Of course, pad wear requires miles. If the vehicle is not driven, then possibly it could have the original fluid. If it does have the original fluid, then the damage is done. If the truck passes state inspection (stops well), the "BRAKE" light is not ON, and no cylinders/calipers are leaking, then you're OK...for now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  16. Feb 3, 2021 at 5:28 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
  17. Feb 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    Mad Max

Mad Max New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited
    I suggest having a shop bleed the brakes if you don't have an understanding of the system. Worst thing you could do is bleed incorrectly and have air in the system or pump the master cylinder dry while bleeding then have a real headache having to remove it and bench bleed the master cylinder.

18. Feb 21, 2021 at 4:14 PM
    Melancholy Bear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR 4WD
    Replaced the brake fluid yesterday. Thanks for the advice. Fun job.

Products Discussed in

To Top