1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake controller warning light

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by SMTundra, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    SMTundra

SMTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD PRO
    I bought my 16 TRD Pro used with around 55k-60k about 2 years ago. The people who original owned it abused the hell our of it because I have had way more problems with it than my 06 Tacoma that I personally put 200k on. A few weeks ago I was an hour into a 4 hour trip coming back from my parents when I braked like normal at a stop light and all of a sudden every light on my dash came on and I got a warning about my trailer brake controller. I googles it and couldn't find much info other than it might have been a false fault and to turn the truck off and back on to clear it, which I did and it cleared then did not come on again. The next day I was driving in the rain when my front brakes started to knock real loud and slip when coming to a stop and this warning and lights came back on. I immediately drove back home and ordered new stock pads and rotors. I changed the pads and rotors a few days later and had the same warning and lights come on while braking about half way through the brake in process. Now the past couple of times I have lightly tapped the brakes in traffic or at a light I get the same warning and lights then will pull over turn off and restart the truck and all lights and warning will clear. Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this before I bite the bullet and take it to a dealership. Here is a pic of my dash and the 4lo and 4h blink the whole time.
    IMG_1129[1].jpg

2. Oct 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
  3. Oct 12, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    SMTundra

SMTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD PRO
    Thanks for the info. I thought I search this form but maybe just didn't look hard enough. I don't have a scan tool but will be buying one ASAP to try and pin point the problem. Seems like it could be bad wheel speed or abs sensor like you mentioned and I also read it could be bad wheel bearings or a cv axle.

4. Oct 12, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    Pitbull410

Pitbull410 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDPro CM MGM, 2018 LC200 MGM
    Abs sensor imo

5. Oct 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Most auto parts stores will scan your codes for free. Many on here buy a unit that plugs into the OBD2 port and connects through an app on their phone via wifi or Bluetooth - you can get these on Amazon for ~$20.

6. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    SMTundra

SMTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD PRO
    Update :

Scan tool was throwing a code for the right rear wheel speed sensor. Decided to bite the bullet and take it to the stealership to get the sensor checked out. They tested the wheel speed sensor and abs system but both looked good. While doing so they found my rear wheel bearing was falling apart and told me it was throwing the sensor off which caused the brake controller error and also was causing my abs system to freak out which explains the knock in my front right wheel well when coming to a stop. Charged me around $1,200 for parts/labor and I'm going to pick it up today.

7. Mar 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM
    jlo50

jlo50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crew Max SR5
    ReadyLift 3/2, 35/12.5r17 open country extremes on 17x8.5 0-offset method wheels
    So my dash has the same thing. The cause was hitting a deer.
    Well better put she decided to test front left wheel. As soon as I hit the brakes and the deer made contact every dash light lit up. She went under the front driver tire and, what I assume, out under the right passenger tire. I haven’t found any broken or frayed wires anywhere. Cannot go in 4wd at all. But I do have a weird scraping-click sound when I turn hard to the right. Which makes a wheel bearing seem logical.

AB5E9FF7-4461-4165-8FE4-9B8A22BBEFF3.jpg

8. Mar 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    jlo50

jlo50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crew Max SR5
    ReadyLift 3/2, 35/12.5r17 open country extremes on 17x8.5 0-offset method wheels
    follow up. Rear ABS Sensor was “unplugged”. Pushed it back in, restarted the cleared everything. Unfortunately the Plastic cap that secures the actual two-pin connector is gone. New Harness $83 on Amazon.

Products Discussed in

To Top