1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blizzard

Discussion in 'North East U.S.' started by MotoTundra, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mar 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    kicnit

kicnit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD DC
    De-badged
    Are you running the HD, or SD? I have the Poly blade on my SD, but overly need the steel. Around my house it ices over quick. The SD cant get a good bit with the poly cutting edge. The tundra is a great plow truck. My only issue is the front end clearance, but will upgrade over the summer. Other than that, it's a great all around rig.

Kyle

2. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab

Agreed, Kyle. Awesome plow rig. I have the Crewmax so warranty wise, I had to get the HT plow. Thinner steel and less ribs, but the whole unit is only about 400 pounds...before I added the steel cutting edge. I had a SD before that had the poly cutting edge and you're right, the steel edge will help you in leaps and bounds. I found especially back dragging. Going forward it will cut down under anything. The front end ground clearance has been something on my radar too. I have Timbren (what I thought was a leveling kit) helper springs. Basically just a rubber bushing around the lower part of the shock to keep the truck from bottoming out. Fisher actually recommends a minimum height for the Tundra and I cannot imagine I'm there. I just added the steel cutting edge last week as the HT plow doesn't come with one at all. They actually said to wear the blade down about an inch before adding a cutting edge. That took me about 2 months to wear it down as I plow primarily pavement. The biggest issue I have now is it's so much heavier that in transit I can't max it out to the left because it will scrape the ground constantly. I was thinking Bilstein 5100's in the spring on the front. I am also going with the Goodyear Duratrac tires because they're snow rated and they were absolutely amazing on my previous plow rigs. It's all about traction, as you know. I also think the Crewmax gives such a great footing because of the weight distribution. Having some added weight to the rear really helps.

MotoTundra[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Any pictures of your plow setup?

I may look into a plow, or a snowblower. Not so much for me, but also for my parents and in laws. This was too much for the quad, I need something else, just trying to figure out which is a better option. I would only be doing small straight driveways.

4. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Do any of you plow guys run dedicated winter tires? Always wondered about that. I put blizzak dmv's on my Tundra, and it is awesome in the snow. I don't plow though. Maybe the blizzaks don't last when you plow? They are really soft tires.

5. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    I have the profile picture there but will add some more later in a bit. I have always been a Fisher guy, being made in Maine and all. Boss apparently sells a 7'6" V-plow that fits the Tundra. I would be curious to hear if that in "full v-mode" is still wider than the width of the truck. Otherwise having a v-plow is useless. The Fisher HT (half ton) plow is interesting because the normal chain lift was replaced by a fully hydraulic head unit. It takes away the weight of the steel and chain. The with the thinner blade itself, the weight is no issue for our trucks.

6. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    I ran Duratracs on my other trucks and will be putting them on this one too next fall. As long as you aren't carrying the load and weight of the plow on dry pavement I would imagine Blizzaks would be awesome to plow with.

7. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    No need for more pictures. I just checked out the Fisher HT, looks great but doesn't look cheap either. A snowblower is probably the best option for me. I will keep my eyes open for used Fisher HT's though.

Crewmax Chris[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Buy a snowblower. If you don't use it much, you can find a good one cheap on CL. We get snow regularly where I live, so I have an Ariens which is somewhat expensive. But I'll get at least 10 years out of it without much hassle. A used Ariens is a safe bet. Parts are readily available and they are well built.

robie56, MakMurph and Crewmax Chris like this.
  9. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    The truck without the plow attached...to show it still looks okay
    C1425B04-.jpg

Resting after being worked hard
    IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg IMG_5570.jpg

10. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    There's a lot of places that take them in trade up here. If you decide to go that route look on Craigslist in Maine.

I have an old Agway snowblower. It's my age at least. They do run forever but damn is it cold when its light fluffy snow!

11. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Yeah, I've been meaning to install a snow shield/cab on my snowblower. Nothing worse than getting a face full of snow when the wind blows hard.

12. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Today was the first time I wish I had a plow. Snow still falling as I was throwing it. Wind ripping and swirling. Hard to keep it from blowing back on the driveway.

13. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Oh, that's a blower. I was picturing this... thinking how the hell can they blow snow? o_O
    backpack-leaf-blower-300x199.jpg

14. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Haha leaf blowers actually work well for up to about 2" of the light fluffy dry snow. A broom can also handle that type snow.

15. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don

Beast mode!

Crewmax Chris[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    Great to clean cars off too!

17. Mar 15, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    @GNTundra how you making out in the NE? They just opened the restrictions for big trucks up my way, no sooner did 3 jacknife. I don't believe anyone was injured, thankfully.

Now I'm stuck a bit behind them until they get hooked.

GNTundra likes this.
  18. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Man you guys in the NE got it good.

I was up at my mountain property today in t-shirt and shorts. Lol, 8200' elevation.

As much as I say I want snow, nah, you can keep it. We get plenty in the mountains.

19. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    TRDFaux

TRDFaux Irresponsible Adult

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4X4
    Toytec level and diff drop, Cooper STT Pro Tires, TRD Pro Grill, blacked out, debadged.
    Took today to run up the MA/NY border and do a little snowboarding. It's been along time since I have gotten on fresh powder never mind 24" deep. My legs are shot but I had a blast!!!! Oddly south western mass appears to have an obsession with tundras and Tacos. I swear that almost ever other truck I passed was a Yota. Even weirder I passed 3 TRD Pros in about a 2 mile stretch just after I crossed into MA from CT.

2226B6E6-13B5-4C65-923D-D8BD69B02E6F.jpg

20. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Yeah it's bad up here. Once they get one TT moving, the next one jacknifes, too slick.

Crewmax Chris and GNTundra like this.
  21. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Yeah, it's a mess. Less people traffic on the road (at night) the better. This spot specifically has a steep incline going up a mountain, without momentum it's a problem.

22. Mar 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    TRDFaux

TRDFaux Irresponsible Adult

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4X4
    Toytec level and diff drop, Cooper STT Pro Tires, TRD Pro Grill, blacked out, debadged.
    Yeah, they were a little slushy in the morning but were just wet on the way home.

Crewmax Chris likes this.
  23. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  24. Mar 15, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    That dude is funny. I just watched some of his stand up routines. :)

"Up you ass truck" lol

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SuperWhite CrewMax Limited
    Extang Folding Tonneau, 20 percent tint, TRD dual exhaust, BedMat, Stubby antennae, Bully Hitch Step, AVS Window Shades
    Wish I could get mine in a bay. I put my snowblower in the back and now I've got snow in there. I wanna close my tonneau back down

26. Mar 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SuperWhite CrewMax Limited
    Extang Folding Tonneau, 20 percent tint, TRD dual exhaust, BedMat, Stubby antennae, Bully Hitch Step, AVS Window Shades
    Ft on the 91 corridor to Springfield is LOADED with Tundras!

27. Mar 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra [OP] The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
  28. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    kicnit

kicnit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD DC
    De-badged
    All great points. I went through the same setup with my Tacoma. 5100's and Duratracs, and a FIsher Homesteader was one of the best trucks for plowing. Just struggled when it came to heavy shit, or if I got hungup. The truck was too light and would struggle a bit. However, 5100's (or any adjustable) front shocks are a must for the Tundra's height. It can only help. YOU will love the Duratracs. Hands down best truck all around snow performance. Even with the Tacoma's light setup, they pushed through anything. I planned to get the steel edge myself and had read about the same wear down. The steel will help a lot with me, but there's a few houses that I plow for that are cobbles. A little worried about those. LOL

Kyle

29. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    My driveway at my old house was cobblestone. No issues at all. They were the reddish/orangish ones and even the steel edge didnt hurt them. As a matter of fact I think the poly edge left more residue when you got down to the stones themselves.

To Top