1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manny's Vicarious Adventures

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Black Wolf, May 16, 2015.

1. Jun 21, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf [OP] Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    My cell phone sucks for pictures. Retired my Olympus OM-2N SLR and got the DSLM NX android/APS-C sensor system camera. Pricey but easier to say what it can't do. Like pour beer for instance. Better pix from here on out. Ordered 200mm telephoto for it and set me back another 1300.

CAM00237.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. Jun 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I got that. The issue I'm having is the sleeve that separates first and applying over the tail gate, and then getting the tail gate over that.

3. Jun 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    The plastic sleeve that is attached around the metal hose clamp stays in place and no trimming of the plastic sleeve is required. Lower tailgate. Feed the loose end of the clamp over the top of the round bar and back up into the lock. You may need to temporarily position the lock in such a way as to facilitate feeding the clamp end just like a hose clamp. Once you do that, reposition the clamp and tighten.

4. Jun 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    It's supposed to easily go over that, no? If so- it's not. I wonder if I got a bad one or they goofed...the package says it fits my truck...I even checked YouTube and the plast sleeve will not stay for the tail gate to go over.

5. Jun 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yes. This has been a hectic day. I'm actually looking foward to going to work tomorrow.

6. Jun 21, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Crewmax ~ ARMY GREEN
    Any luck fishing this weekend?

7. Jun 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I was going to drop a line at cool place called Jenny Lake but I never made it there. Spend most of the day at my friends property. He leased a private company access thru his property to a gold claim that's adjacent that is finally going to get worked. Heavy drilling equipment was brought up and staged. Exploratory drilling will probably start this week. The vein they are looking for is several hundred feet down. I was talking to their hired geologist and he said that only 30% of recoverable gold was mined back in the day near Central City. Google it. More gold can be recovered now with modern day techniques. Especially with the price of gold so high.The government has been serupticiously buying up hundreds of expired patents (claims) in the area for several years. I told the geologist that I hadn't heard anything about that. He just smiled. I been invited to go back up so I'll take Wed off to get in their way. heh heh.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. Jun 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    bring a metal detector :) little nuggets = mods

9. Jun 21, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000. Found a bunch of old cast iron stove pieces and a decent pick axe used for hard rock mining. Probably from late 1870's based upon where I found it. Very rusty and handle long gone.

tat2ude39[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Good news is that my passenger CV boot clamp didn't come off. I'm 100% sure now that it was installed incorrectly. The road that drops down to my friends property is pretty F'd up. Old mining road. It's going to get graded tomorrow, then they can move in the heavy stuff.

11. Jun 25, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Got my Bed Xtender brackets. Dealer wanted $48, Amp Research(mfr) wanted $28+shipping. Bought identical set on Amazon for $6.99+ $7.99 shipping. Same as what the dealer showed me. I almost them. Slight mark up. ($48?????? for these????????)

CAM00242.jpg
    CAM00241.jpg
    CAM00240.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  12. Jun 25, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Dude, what took so long? Had you not swooped me on that, I would've already had those...maybe...

Black Wolf[OP] likes this.
  13. Jun 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I actually got a life other than working on my truck. I think.

14. Jun 25, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Not me, I'm pretty much a complete fvck-off during the summer. :playball:

15. Jun 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You would like Alaska in the summer. 20hrs of day light to F'off. I'm planning taking 3 or 4 weeks off next summer to go back up there to play.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    A friend of mine was out on the Aleutians for quite a while, the pictures were amazing and surreal.

17. Jun 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I flew in to Dutch Harbor twice to do a job for Caterpillar Marine Services. Might as well be on another planet. The Deadliest Catch boats are docked there. Lots of Japanese military remnants from WW2. The fishing is stupid crazy. Kodiak is another place you should put on your bucket list. BIG BEARS. Taller than 10 foot (Kodiak record kill).

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    The bucket list has overflowed the bucket...haha.....

19. Jun 25, 2015 at 3:08 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Any diesel engine in marine has to be tough. Cat has a plant on the other side of my state that does cat marine. I was very should we say (impressed).

If you really like marine diesel try the
    Wartsila diesel engines. Start by pneumatic, and sound to hear, and a sound you will never forget like waking up a bear thats been asleep for 5 years.
    Love to work on those engines if I had the chance.

20. Jun 25, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Cat Marine has a facility in Anchorage that was just down the street from our lab. Most of the time they brought fuel flow meters to us. One time they had a rush job because the fishing fleet at Dutch was getting in full swing and no boat wants to get left behind because of Cat so I volunteered to go and calibrate the flow meters onsite. No way was I going to turn that down. Not an easy place to get to anyways.

Mike[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jun 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    How long does it take to calibration on those meters? Never seen it done I only seen the calibrated product in the end why I ask.

22. Jun 26, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    You basically have a flow system set up with a "standard"(calibrated) flow meter that is verified to be at least 4 to 1 better in accuracy(if scientifically possible) than the unit under test. This standard flow meter is verified with a flow meter "prover". Provers can be very large. It depends on what application such as very large tanks will require very large provers if your verifying tank capacity. Some are 1,000's of gallons capacity. We used a 10 gallon prover for the diesel flow meters. The flow meter supplied by CAT for instance is put in series with the std flow meter and several readings are recorded and then compared/averaged to the std flow meter data. The flow media is Stoddard's solvent and is poured and vented into the std flow meter for an even flow. Safe to work with. Less tendency to set yourself on fire which is a good thing. This is what I like about metrology/calibration. Not too many things I haven't calibrated over the years, but still learn something new or a better way everyday. Calibration time varies depending on the complexity of the setup. I cal'd flow meters for an Anchorage vodka mfr too. (Goes down better than diesel but still can set you on fire, heh heh). TUULI vodka. Maybe a have dozen guys worked there and they usually looked like they did their own sampling of their product during the day. hoooo Weeeeeee.....

There are some very high end flow labs that use self contained set ups that are very accurate too. very accurate. Aerospace, FDA requirements,etc. Many flow meters are electronic process controlled and can be calibrated electronically. (no flow media required)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Mike[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Jun 26, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Very interesting.

Do you also take the temperature of the fluid in account for getting the meters to prove correctly?( im assume you do) Do you go by a chart for compensate for fluid density for the unit do to different weights and measures based off test fluid? Or do You use like a corn oil that about the same viscous as diesel fuel for example for the test?

I have seen the 50ft long proofer they called it on the pipelines(fuel) when they when proofing the meters out. They used a steel ball in the pipe and it was timed going back and forth in the test section of the pipeline.

24. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The calibration takes place within cal lab temp guide lines normally 70 degrees +/- 4. Stoddard's solvent is the direct replacement media for diesel. You don't want to use anything else for diesel other than Stoddard's solvent. It's much easier verifying a flow meter in a lab environment. Out in the field it's a different story where it may not be feasible to remove the flow meter.In that instance you have to compensate for several factors that can induce error. Most flow meters that we did in AK came from the North Slope. They had to swap them out when due calibration with a calibrated meter. They were required to be calibrated in a controlled lab environment to maintain consistency between measurements. As far as density, viscosity, pressure,flow rate, and temp out in the field we used this. No steel ball.
    http://akmetcal.com/content/injection-monitoring-system

My boss there designed this. He has a degree in Applied Physics. BP engineers couldn't come up with this so they hired him to figure out how to take these readings accurately several thousand feet down. State of the art.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Mike[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the insight.

26. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
  27. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    What's cool about the newer metering systems is that you can now program what fluid media will be going thru it. It can compensate accordingly. It's way easier now to verify flow meters than in the past. It used to be more mechanical in nature and now you can verify process controlled meters to a high degree of accuracy. There are still a lot of mechanical meters out there where a lot of plumbing is involved. Also a lot of electronic counting flow meters where you have to pick off the signal with a freq counter.

Small Prover:

th.jpg
    th.jpg
    Large Prover

28. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Cool job man.

29. Jun 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Like I said. I will do this calibration thing until I croak. It's still fun.

30. Jun 30, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    tat2ude39

tat2ude39 MYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Have you logged enough miles yet to comment of your bug deflector yet?

To Top