1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BIG BEND BENDER!!

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by BROGAN, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro CM Inferno Fast
    Just ceck out build thread in sig
    Hey everyone. So my bud and wheelin partner just had to drop from our planned trip to Big Bend National Park (BBNP) due to unforeseen but completely avoidable life decisions. My wife and I still plan on going. I hoped to make it to Tundras2Sedona this year, but sadly work will not allow. Due to the nature of my work my vacation is planned a year in advance.

Current tentative dates for this trip are MAY 6th - May 10th. I've been doing my research and will be planning a route through the park, and hitting most of the highlights. Plan is for backcountry primitive camping in the RTT on the Tundra. Different camp site each night. Having a plan is nice, and sometimes having a plan and then just doing whatever feels right in the moment is even better, Im easy....dont always have to stick to the planned route or events.

Some tentative highlights (research ongoing):
    - Old ore road and black gap, among other suggested trails
    - finding Mariscal Mine and Luna's Jacal
    - see the Hot Springs in Santa Elena Canyon
    - stay a night in the Chisos Basin and have dinner at the restaurant
    - have a beer on "the porch" (La Kiva?) in Terlingua at sunset.
    - checkout the Starlight, which apparently has good food and music.
    - possibly checkout Christmas mountain at Terlingua ranch

My bud and I had also planned to do some more serious wheelin, and spend one or two days in Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP). From all sources I've come across the BBRSP offers many more "technical" 4x4 trails. As it currently stands, with just my one rig and no wheelin partner (or even just knowing someone else is around the area who could help), Ive placed this idea on the back burner. If people are interested in going to BBNP, or further interested in a day or two in BBRSP, let me know below and we can get it planned.

WHO: (as it stands currently) @BROGAN +1 and 2 dogs, all are welcome to join.

WHAT: Big Bend Bender...mostly wheelin, some hiking, backcountry primitive camping..

WHEN: May 6th - May 10th 2019

WHERE: Big Bend National Park...possible BB Ranch State Park as well

WHY: Because it's there, and we can.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Apr 16, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
  3. Apr 16, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    Just realized this thread needs a thumbnail....Big Bend National Park

[​IMG]

aperezsh, Stroke250, BTBAKER and 9 others like this.
  4. Apr 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    rustynail11

rustynail11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mansfield,TX (DFW Area)
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tundra TRD
    Sounds like a great trip. Big Bend is top 3 on my bucket list. Just need to find the time to drive down there. Hopefully in the next year I will be able to make it happen.

5. Apr 16, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    Pbear1454

Pbear1454 New Member

Member:
    NorCal and SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD
    Bilsteins SPC RCI Steel Bumpers

:popcorn:

6. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    Bigrobdsp

Bigrobdsp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 and 2019 TRD Pro tundra
    TBD
    I took the family to Big Bend over spring break. Mariscal Mine was my favorite find, but Luna's Jakal was awesome too (also a really neat story about the man who built it). My kids said they felt like Indiana Jones exploring all the old ruins. There was definitely enough traffic out on River road, black gap, old ore, etc... that i wasn't super nervous about being out there with just one truck (maybe because spring break). My wife even commented that it was the jeep and Yoda capital of Texas, since it seemed like every car in the park was one of the two. we hiked the window and Santa Elaina canyon. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more foreign place. It was like being on a different planet. I was really excited about Terlingua, but I wasn't that impressed in person. The rest of your planed stops are mindblowing. We also stopped at the dunes in Monahans and the McDonald observatory. both are worth the detour (but pick the observatory at night if you are picking one).

ManoTundra and Levidale08 like this.
  7. Apr 16, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah no doubt. I have no qualms about running all over BBNP alone. It's Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP), that seems to be a different bear from my research. I dont expect to even need my recovery gear in BBNP. Outside of cutting a tire, you're unlikely to get stuck. I have a full size spare, but hell, I'd probably take the time to do an offroad tire repair and use by ARB onboard air to air back up just because....an hour later my wife will ask why didnt I just put on the spare....why didnt we go to a golf resort Jessica? Why didnt we just look at internet pictures of Big Bend Jessica? Why dont I just fire up a flare and we get helicoptered out Jessica?

8. Apr 16, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Homemade bed rack with extra spare with Rhino rack,two jerry cans mounted in the bed
    Big bend ranch is a lot more challenging. I like it better than the national park. The national park is crowded and it’s hard to get a primitive camping spot and that’s getting there as soon as the doors open at the visitors center. The state park you can call and reserve a camping spot. The roads at the ranch are not as wide because they are not well travelled like at the national park. So b prepared for desert pinstripes. We’re going to state ranch this Friday

BROGAN[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    You sound experienced in BBRSP. I've search fairly extensively and the only thing I can really find is tons of info on BBNP. Id love to hear your rundown on BBSRP. Favorite trails, most challenging trails, best primitive camp sites, sites to see, etc?

10. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    realtorblake

realtorblake Tundra Thunda

Member:
    Redneckistan... aka Cypress, TX
    2019 Crewmax Platinum 5" Zone lift Fox 2.5 /OME suspension 12.5x35x18 ProComp's
    I've been all over BBNP. Probably 5 trips so far. It takes a solid 3 full days to see everything... or the better part of everything. Make sure you do the drive from Lajitas to Presidio while you are there. Some amazing views and indian cliff drawings. Buy a tour guide book if it is your first time. The park is so immense that these books will help you maximize your time there. You are going to love the place!

shopping.jpg
    shopping (1).jpg

Radial GT and 1UPPER like this.
  11. Apr 17, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm excited. Getting the truck prepped already.

12. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    What brackets do you have to mount your maxtrax like that? I have a decked system and was trying to find the exact way you mounted yours.

13. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    So when I ordered the RCI bedrack, I asked for Maxtrax mounts as well. The Maxtrax take up too much room on the bedrack so I used the mounts for the rack and attached them to the bedrails. As long as you have the bed rail system there are a lot of different ways I've seen people mount these. This was just the easiest for me since I already had the mounts.

Screenshot_20190417-134950_Chrome.jpg

14. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    I do have the bed rail and was just worried about the decked system not leaving enough room. I like the mounts you have and will look into them. Thanks.

15. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Homemade bed rack with extra spare with Rhino rack,two jerry cans mounted in the bed
  16. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    This is awesome. Thanks man. Great read. Now I'm extremely excited to check out BBRSP. I think for now, alone, I'll do BBNP and the last day, just go scope out BBSRP by driving maintained roads and just eyeballing the 4x4 HC unmaintained roads, with plans to go back with a wheelin partner.

I know you said youre going this Friday and I wish I could tag along but I'll be working (lol and I wasn't invited). Let me know when you guys are getting back out to BBRSP. Also let's see some pics if you can. Feel free to post them here. I plan to post a bunch of pics from my trip later.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Levidale08[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 17, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    You Invited! I think we’re changing course and going up into the Lincoln Forest near CloudCroft New Mexico it’s going to be kinda hot near the border this weekend. I might be able to make your trip in May just won’t be able to go for that long. Just the weekend.

18. Apr 17, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    Sounds great. If that is the case, let me know if you can make it, and we can spend the weekend in BBSRP instead. Afterward, when you head off, the wife and I can carry on with BBNP. This way we avoid any potential crowds in BBNP for Cinco De Mayo in the less crowed BBSRP.

This excerpt makes BBRSP sound like a good time..
    upload_2019-4-17_18-28-44.jpg
    From Texas Parks and Wildlife "Roads To Nowhere". A guide to Unmaintained 4x4 High Clearance Roads in Big Bend Ranch State Parks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Levidale08[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 17, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    I’ve done it twice by myself ( had the girlfriend with me) with no other vehicle.. It’s nerve racking out there with nobody to help you out if something goes wrong. The whole weekend we never saw another sole. I carry two spares but never needed them. I gave up on trying to keep my paint job. Lol. I still haven’t explored all the roads. The only bad thing that happened was I destroyed my stock rear bumper and had to replace it with a steel one. I also got a skid plate for the hitch because it gets hung up on rocks because of the wheel base.

20. Apr 29, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    So your headed out Monday the 6th to Big Bend National Park ? I’m going this weekend I won’t be able to go during the week.

21. Apr 30, 2019 at 3:58 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. Some unavoidable issues with the wife's work came up so we had to scrap the weekend. I'm bummed were not gonna meet up on the trail, but I'm glad youre getting out there, that's what's it's all about.

I was hoping to pick your brain a bit more. As it's my first time in the area. Do you air down in BBNP or just BBRSP? I don't expect to do any rock crawling, but was considering airing down to 20 psi to make the ride a bit smoother and protect the tires from any sharp rocks.

Planning to camp in BBNP Monday - Wednesday. Some camp sites I had in mind were Glenn Spring (secluded on just off Black Gap). Pine Canyon #4. And Robbers Roost off Juniper. What camp sites do you recommend? Looking for those that are more secluded / harder to get to.

Plan to wheel and camp in BBRSP Thursday and Friday. As I said before, research was more limited online for the Ranch. I just chose some campsites that were on 4x4 High Clearance roads with the hope their would be less traffic around. I chose Rancharias and Los Alamos. I'm all for any recommendations you have on what to do, where to go see, and where to camp at BBRSP?

Heading back to San Antonio Saturday morning.

22. Apr 30, 2019 at 4:24 AM
    TexasTundra27

TexasTundra27 Moby Dick

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra CM 4x4 5.7
    Icon stage 3, Icon billet UCAs, 5.29s, ARB lockers F+R, Coachbuilder +2s and shims, Rago fab ditch light brackets and bed stiffeners, Rago Fabrication sliders, ARE camper, 17x9 XDs and 37/12.5/17 stt pros, DT long tubes, xpipe with dual magnaflows, Full skids, TrailToys front and rear bumpers
    I’ve been wanting to get back out to BBNP for years now, this thread isn’t helping...

BROGAN[OP] likes this.
  23. Apr 30, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I suggest boquillas canyon too. Nice spot to sit and relax. Check out the cottonwood campground too. Another nice spot. Those 2 and Santa Elena are my best memories from there. And the heat. Some of the visitor centers close in the summer due to heat, but may should be ok.

A79896BD-C42F-4474-A145-BE153C282256.jpg
    58C246AE-5B4B-4BAF-BD68-074E5FDE21B5.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  24. Apr 30, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    I usually air down to about 18-20psi I finally got an arb air compressor mounted under the hood and it’s so much nicer than using a cheap piece of shit that I had. Robbers Roost is a good one. Also little farther from there is twisted shoe it nice also. Fresno campsite has a nice view of the Mariscal mines. You also need to try old ore road, it’s in the eastern part of the park. It takes about 3-4 hours to drive down. Black gap really wasn’t that tuff. Lol.

25. Apr 30, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    At the state ranch park rincon 1 campsite is pretty fun to get to. Just tell them you want something tuff to get to. Lol. They’ll give it to you.

26. Apr 30, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
  27. Apr 30, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    We will definitely see all the sights. Santa Elena, the Mines and hot springs, Big Bend Village etc. But when it comes time to camp, we are going to go more for seclusion. Have some quiet. Read a book a bit. Look at the stars. So we want to avoid as much light pollution as possible, so the big three group camps are out. Those are great pictures man, looks like y'all had a great time. I'm getting myself all excited (I do this to myself everyday).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  28. Apr 30, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    BROGAN

BROGAN [OP] FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    I have the same setup.

20180616_184402.jpg

And we plan to do Old Ore on day one. Straight down to Panther Junction. Check in with the Rangers. Back to Dragger Fleet (SP?) and turn off on Old Ore.

aperezsh and Levidale08[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Apr 30, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    You also might want to get a shelter with netting. the flies, and nats will drive you insane they can be bad this time of year. When we were at the state ranch in March the bats were already out so that will help at night. Oh and watch out for craptors. They like to have a rally this time of year and they’ll travel in big groups.

30. Apr 30, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    Levidale08

Levidale08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gardendale,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Also when you get to panther junction go to the book store and buy the book called “deaths at big bend”. Crazy shit has happened there.

Products Discussed in

To Top