1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beware of a catastrophic ball joint failure - 2000 Tundra & all first generation Tundras and Sequoia

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by michaelstephen17, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Apr 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    michaelstephen17

michaelstephen17 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm the second owner of a 2000 Tundra and I've had my truck for 14 years! I have enjoyed it and overall it has been very reliable. Recently I've had some problems and took it to the dealer. They did a thorough check and recommended that I replace the steering bushing and have a four wheel alignment (among other things that were engine related). I decided to get this work done since the truck was driving differently. Basically the steering didn't feel right. Well, nine days after having the service done at the local dealership, I experienced a catastrophic ball joint failure of the upper and lower ball joints at the same time. This caused the wheel to break away and the truck to crash to the ground at about 30 mph. Not a fun experience to say the least! Through some research, I found out Toyota Tundras have major issues and recalls with the ball joints. However, the 2000 Tundra has not been recalled. Only the 2002-2004 Tundras were recalled even though they have the same ball joints. Anyway, I'm trying to sort it out with the dealership and with Toyota and see if they help me with the repair. I will be selling my Tundra as I no longer feel safe driving it. For all first generation Tundra owners, if you feel the truck is steering differently or pulling to one side or another, take it to your mechanic right away. Do not drive it as this situation could happen to you. In my case it didn't cause an accident, but it certainly could.

619Tundra likes this.
  2. Apr 30, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Thanks for the advice Mike. And welcome from CO.

3. Apr 30, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    OEM or bust!

4. Apr 30, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Glad you were not hurt. They recalled my 2002 ball joints after 2 years of driving. No problems since. Your truck totaled? Why not repair and replace the front ball joints and enjoy it. Should be good to go for 18 more years.

mudslinger79 likes this.
  5. Apr 30, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Agitated1

Agitated1 Newish Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 Quicksand
    TRD Pro Grill King Coilovers with compression adjuster Tint 5% Rear, 30% front and 70% windshield Husky X-Act Floor liners BA Muffler 8in standard system Truck Covers USA retractable bed cover Yakima bed rails
    My 2005 Tundra was part of that ball joint recall.

mudslinger79 likes this.
  6. Apr 30, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    Same exact thing happened to me. I have a 2004 double cab. I took mine in for the recall back in 2005 and the ball joint failed about 2 years ago at 30 mph. The dealer said Toyota is not responsible.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  7. May 1, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    mtntop

mtntop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    welcome from CO, I had my replaced under recall years ago and just replaced the lowers recently and added after market UCA's with built in ball joints. I would replace them and drive it another 15 years as was mentioned here. I drive mine offroad a lot since I live in the mtns with no issues

mudslinger79 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top