1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Tow Vehicle & Daily Driver

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Mattedfred, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Nov 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lol you quoted gm 6.2L is reliable which is hilarious to say the least and no I think the eco boost 3.5tt is the best 1/2 ton towing in my experience with maximum torque at a lower rpm compared to the 6.2L. Now you have the 2022 tundra which throws everything off. Personally I think the 3.5tt with hybrid will be a towing machine compared to the 6.2. It's gets the power down low at 2400rpm and has more power than the standard 6.2 gm. Payload is going to be the biggest thing when it's comes to airstream with a heavy tounge weight. Right from Toyota TRD pro payload is 1,600 from the spec sheet and weighs roughly 6,100 pounds. I think the hybrid will suit your needs better because first it's reliability and Toyota does that the best no questions ask. Number 2 is regen braking let's say going down a mountain saving the brakes!! Number 3 is instant torque power will be no problem. And number 4 is weight, I would rather have a heavy tow vehicle rather than a light one so you can have more control but payload personal has to be 1600lbs plus for a 900lb + tounge weight

2. Nov 2, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    pnw_rcutv

pnw_rcutv New Member

Member:
    Well it's even funnier your very next sentence you say the ecoboost 3.5tt is the best 1/2 ton yet it's the single least reliable engine available out of any truck, that's no secret to anybody.

TrimTab and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  3. Nov 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome to the site.

The 2nd and 2.5 gen tundras are pretty solid for the most part. Not the best in the fuel economy department, but it sounds like you can offset that cost with some of the higher mpg vehicles you have (if that is the plan).

The 2022 Tundra to me, and this is just my opinion is a home run depending on your budget.

Forget the diesel for a daily driver. That will cost you a lot of money in maintenance costs. Trust me on that as a current diesel owner and have been for quite some time (over 16 years).

Sounds like a nice DC Tundra would be a really good option for you.

TrimTab and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  4. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:10 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    For towing power is the best powertrain and than I said 2022 tundra throws everything off Because the all new 3.5tt with hybrid personally would be the best for towing even in high attitude were n/a engines struggle. He said he wanted a vehicle to last 15+ years. Have you seen any GM trucks on the road that's around 15 years I haven't and even if I did they look so beat up. I would trust ford more than gm if I had to choose if Toyota didn't exist. It's a give in take with everything, I think the new AT4X is a really good looking truck would I own one for long term hell no. If I want reliability go with Toyota and if I want 1/2 ton towing power through mountains go with Ford but like I said you have both now with the 2022 tundra you get strong ass reliability and strong power even from base engine that out performs the 5.7. And if you go with the hybrid that out performs almost every 1/2 ton out their and gets great mpg and it's instant torque like come on and 2022 tundra has so many negative comments which I get it. Really bad press release plus Toyota hasn't even given us price yet mixed with some of the options on the specs sheet was incorrect and the truck gain 5in which can't fit in people garages. I will say it's a shit show but all this will blow over once you test drive one definitely the hybrid one.

5. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:16 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    And I would trust GM more than Ford. I see a lot more GMT-400s and 800s on the road than equivalent F150s around here.

TrimTab likes this.
  6. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    If we are talking 2021 vs 2021 I would say f150 just because I have seen and heard so many problems with the new gm trucks personally I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot from my experience but everybody different. Most reliable to least reliable based off my experience only.
    1. Toyota
    2.nissan
    3.ford
    4.chevy/GMC
    5.ram/FCA

7. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:31 PM
    pnw_rcutv

pnw_rcutv New Member

Member:
    There are two GM's in my family well over 15yrs old and many thousands of miles, easily 500,000 miles between both. One 1993 with the Detroit Diesel 6.5L and another 1995 Chevy 1500 with the 5.7. Both have more miles than I can count and still work great and towed more loads that I can shake a stick at. With that said, I do tend to agree the new age GM's aren't near as reliable. I wouldn't say it's the drivetrain though it's more so the interior/electronics/brakes. Now my step-fathers 2001 Duramax 6.6L is probably the single most unreliable truck I've ever seen...so there is that.

With that said, I'm extremely excited to drive a new TRD Pro. If you can actually get one this year and doesn't have mark ups like a Raptor it will very well be the next truck in my driveway (likely not in garage though since it's a school bus). Problem I have found is some of Toyota's driving dynamics and seat ergo's are just plain weird, have been for some time. I would have bought a Gen2.5 but I frankly just not that impressed with how they feel or drive compared to other offerings on the market. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle that is already 15yrs old if you plan to own it the next 15yrs. There are a number of creature comforts specific to towing that are very handy that the current Tundra doesn't offer. Not to mention the whole issue of no transmission coolers on the current ones.

8. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:42 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    I can't argue with that in the 90s gm made some pretty strong trucks but in the mid 2000s I see where gm fell and so did Ford with their V8 Triton which are the worst V8 on earth.. if I would even consider the big 3 I would look at 3/4 ton truck. Yeah I can't wait to get the TRD pro if I can get it maybe 2023 without mark-ups. It's just people need to stop paying the 20k mark-ups it's just insane right now.

9. Nov 2, 2021 at 8:57 PM
    pickupjason

pickupjason New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Crewmax TRD offroad 4x4
    Check out the towing & hitch section of airforums.com.

Mattedfred[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    Jaxyaks

Jaxyaks New Member

Member:
    While it would pull just fine, I think a 1 Ton truck is probably a bit overkill for a 5700lb trailer.

11. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    MemphisViking

MemphisViking New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Eventual Tundra
    I don't have anything to add regarding towing since I don't have any experience there, but I will say that if you're leery of all the new tech, which I can understand, it's not going to get any better going forward. The tech is here to stay. Maybe you can avoid some of it by going into lower trims, but unless you buy something a few years old you're not going to escape it.

12. Nov 5, 2021 at 5:18 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    For a trailer that size I would get a 3/4 ton Diesel and something else as a daily. Pulling something that big with a Tundra is marginally ok if you are straight/level, good weather (no cross winds) and at sea level.

13. Nov 6, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    If you are really concerned about payload and tongue weight look into a trailer TOAD or even modify the tongue. A longer tounge reduces tongue weight and also makes a trailer pull more smoothly as far as staying straight going down the road.

14. Nov 12, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred [OP] Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
  15. Nov 12, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    bwh

bwh New Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top